UPS Newbie - Thinking about quitting (ASAP)

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Just keep trying for a while longer. Some of these guys are jackasses just trying to be funny. Take some Advil and stay at it. It will get easier.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sounds similar to what I went through. It took me about 2 solid weeks before I wasn't in pain going home after a shift. Your body just isn't used to it. Just keep at it and the job becomes easier. It's not going to be fast good easy. But you won't want to buy a bag of ice on the way home.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Learn to deal with that "pain" because as you get older those are just everyday aches.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You're going to use muscles you don't typically use, and use them thousand and thousands of times per day. It's not easy to give advice if we don't know who we are talking to. Are you younger, older, big small etc.

If you don't work out and you're a young guy (under 22), your body likely isn't 100% physically developed.. and as you get older and stronger, and your body is adjusted to the impacts, the packages become much lighter and you won't feel too sore (a little sore).

And greengrenades gave some good advice, especially regarding working at your own pace. That's critical.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Learn to deal with that "pain" because as you get older those are just everyday aches.
Well said. 8 years of loading....my muscles are used to it....they're not sore anymore....but my joints are another story. But i remember my first few weeks....arms and legs were sore as hell...but quit?? Oh hell no....if my sup had told me to climb up on the roof and move packages....I would've done it. Just quit...:censored2: boy.

Rainman

Its all good.
Don't give up. Things will get better. Tough it out for a few weeks. It will be worth it in the long run. Been there , done that. Experience talking. You have to loom at the long term advantages.

Heck, if I could do it anyone can.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I know a guy who tried to walk out, they stopped him, and give his 2 week notice 2 times. He is now becoming a pt supervisor.
Those who can....do. Those who can't hack it....supervise. Rinse and repeat...

Just keep trying for a while longer. Some of these guys are jackasses just trying to be funny. Take some Advil and stay at it. It will get easier.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I wasn't tryin to be funny.....but I'm not going to coddle newbies. Not a month goes by where I don't have a craptacular day and I'd love to say friend this and quit. But my first week?? Nope....that's the time to prove yourself.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

Hello Guys and Gals,

New to this site so not sure if this is the right place to post here. But anyways i just started working at UPS as a Part Time Package Handler loading up trailers at the Sunrise shift. First day we had orientation went over videos etc they were pretty much jamming down information down our throats all in that one day.

Second day rolls around start loading up trailers had a real hard time (Haven't worked out in awhile it's been a year or two) and to make matters worse the dude that was training me left half of the time and expected me to work like Sonic the Headhog.

Third day rolls around somehow i caught on (Really don't know how...) but i some how loaded up 2 trailers with some help. But now as i type this I'm starting to have a "Come to Jesus Moment" and throwing in the towel i did my best and thinking about quitting before i get seriously injured any advice? Going to be talking to Supervisor tonight will i get paid for the Orientation and those days i worked?

Thanks in Advanced!

Really.

Don't blame not working out for the reason why you where having a hard time. There isn't a job at UPS that really hard or physical demanding if your doing the job correctly. It all comes down to the fact that your lazy and lazy people like to take the easy way out.

You have two options you can quit and I'm sure your friends and family will believe you when you stretch the truth and tell them how hard it was or you can reach down and grab a set and man up and be a productive member of society.