UPS offer on the Table for takeover of Central States fund !

Fullhouse

Do the teamsters in their respective companies work as hard as thier fellow UPS employees do? Do they endure the long hours especially durring Chrismas rush? Do they endure the sever weather conditions, ungodly heat and bone chilling cold? Do they endevor to make their company successfull? Well may I ask 1 more question? How many companies, that belong to the Central States plan, have been in bussiness for 99yrs?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Do the teamsters in their respective companies work as hard as thier fellow UPS employees do? Do they endure the long hours especially durring Chrismas rush? Do they endure the sever weather conditions, ungodly heat and bone chilling cold? Do they endevor to make their company successfull? Well may I ask 1 more question? How many companies, that belong to the Central States plan, have been in bussiness for 99yrs?
Fullhouse you cry more than my 4 year old. Your a selfish upser and by reading all of your posts you only care about yourself. No one ever said that we dont work hard, but were not the only ones that work hard. Try delivering in the foodservice bringing thousands of pounds down into basements or up 2 flights of stairs on a handcart. You think the movers that are represented by the teamsters have conveyor belts to unload a house or business into the truck and unload it into another house or business? Come down of off your pedistal and stop patting yourself on the back, we are not the only ones that work hard.

Do some investagating into the pension funds and look to see how much ups has been paying over the years and then compare it to all the other contributers. You might be surprised to see ups just recently started paying more than those other lazy fat :censored2: no good air conditioned truck driving sob's.

krash

Go big orange
I know some USFers work 60+ a week. I worked the docks at Carolina and AML. They can be quite harsh in winter and summer. The wind cuttin thru the docks in the middle of winter on the midnight shift was unbelievable. Topping out a load in summer was severe.
So walk in there shoes before passing judgment about there work load and conditions:thumbup1:

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Re: "Beyond Repair" . . . Really???

I doubt Central States Trustee Fred Gregare ever said that. Can you provide proof?

The fund is in poor shape, but there is a (painful) recovery plan in place. The benefit accruals were cut to reduce expenses, and the employer contribution rates were increased to improve income. Normally decreased outflow and increased income will lead to an improving situation over time. Unfortunately Central States is starting from a very low point to begin with, and it will take years for the strategy's positive results to accmulate. It may even take a year or two to "turn the ship around" before the funding percentage begins to steadily climb.

The present stock market rise is helping as well don't you think?

[As always, I'm not *defending* the poor state of the fund, just trying to comment on it evenhandedly.]
Jonfrum
www.teamsters916.org It`s in the last two paragraphs i believe ?

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I know some USFers work 60+ a week. I worked the docks at Carolina and AML. They can be quite harsh in winter and summer. The wind cuttin thru the docks in the middle of winter on the midnight shift was unbelievable. Topping out a load in summer was severe.
So walk in there shoes before passing judgment about there work load and conditions:thumbup1:
i am grateful to be working in south Florida for sure especially in the winter ! We might see in the 30`s but for a very short period. Where else can you wear shorts in the winter ? Especially in Feeders its the best job at ups as far as i`m concerned. Hope the changes that will be taking place between here and next August are for the best of everybody ! I know we don`t agree on alot of things but we all deserve a fair shake when it comes to retirement and insurance benefits. We help make this company what it is today !

krash

Go big orange
i am grateful to be working in south Florida for sure especially in the winter ! We might see in the 30`s but for a very short period. Where else can you wear shorts in the winter ? Especially in Feeders its the best job at ups as far as i`m concerned. Hope the changes that will be taking place between here and next August are for the best of everybody ! I know we don`t agree on alot of things but we all deserve a fair shake when it comes to retirement and insurance benefits. We help make this company what it is today !
That's a big 10-4 WG:cool:
Also, I'm not blind to our problems as Teamsters or unwilling to open my mind. Just that I am extremely skeptical of APWA. Changing names ain't gonna make all our problems go away. They could very well multiply. Just because they got a charter doesn't mean they don't have an anterior motive.

Cole

The issue isn't how hard we work compared to other Teamsters etc...because most all of us work hard for our money. I try to judge anothers work etc...until I have walked in their shoes. Alot of people used to and probably still do think we mainly ride around waving at people.

As far as the APWA, I don't personally think they have an ulterior motive, as in selling people out or anything, but sure they do in that they want to get better pensions and benefits to our members.

Face it not everyone is pleased with the representation they have received from the Teamsters, and yes sometimes it is because of lack of involvement, or because sometimes it seems hopeless to change things on the grand scale etc...

There are cases where change has been made for the better, like local 705, from what I have read had problems in the past, but now have things going in the right direction from what our brother 705red has said, and also from what I read online etc...and that's no small potatoes, because 705 is one of the largest Teamster locals in the US.

I say that because if the APWA doesn't win out, we will need to look to locals that have turned things around and 705 is a good example of where to start researching.

krash

Go big orange
Cole,
We might better get cracking on following in 705's footsteps then. Because APWA wants it all or nothing. That will never happen. So they have two choices. Go away or settle for less. They might have a minute chance in some areas but will not be nationwide at this time. Regardless of what they #'s they "claim" to have.

J

JonFrum

Jonfrum
www.teamsters916.org It`s in the last two paragraphs i believe ?

Wildgoose,

I read the letter from the Central States Trustees earlier when it was cited in a previous post. I think you need to read it again. It says the opposite of what you think it says. This is a letter in which the trustees are trying to justify harsh measures they implemented in order to turn the Central States fund around. Their point is: things are bad, but we (the trustees) have taken the necessary steps, unpopular as they are, to put the plan on the road to recovery. It also seems that the letter is several years old.

Although the letter is selfserving, as are similar letters in each issue of Teamwork Magazine, I still found them worth reading. They tell us some useful facts, as well as the (biased) views of the Plan Administrator and Trustees.
http://www.centralstatesfunds.org/cs/plans/teamwork.asp

Fullhouse

Fullhouse you cry more than my 4 year old. Your a selfish upser and by reading all of your posts you only care about yourself. No one ever said that we dont work hard, but were not the only ones that work hard. Try delivering in the foodservice bringing thousands of pounds down into basements or up 2 flights of stairs on a handcart. You think the movers that are represented by the teamsters have conveyor belts to unload a house or business into the truck and unload it into another house or business? Come down of off your pedestal and stop patting yourself on the back, we are not the only ones that work hard.

Do some investagating into the pension funds and look to see how much ups has been paying over the years and then compare it to all the other contributers. You might be surprised to see ups just recently started paying more than those other lazy fat :censored2: no good air conditioned truck driving sob's.
Look here Red, I here ya whining.
You damn right I may be a little self centered about this. I don't even know why you give a damn? You don't even work under CS, it sounds like you just want to spout your big mouth off.
I don't mind the work, I've been working since I was big enough to hit the tobacco fields in the rural South Carolina.Doubt you even have a clue what that entails.What you say thousands of pounds on a hand cart up 2 flights of stairs or in a basement. Who's on a pedestal now? lets see maybe 20 stops a day out a truck with a ramp. Well my friend try running a combo feeder run out of a flatbed trailer with no ramp no ventilation in the middle of an outlet park with boxes that are full of clothes that weigh anywhere between 50-lbs,350-500+ pgks a day with 45-50 stops a day
So its a food service truck your in? Prolly a refer truck.
Do some investigating huh? OK smart ass if your so smart tell me how many cs facts you know? There are only 33,000 UPS employees active in CS. Roughly 4500 retired UPS employees. So lets do the math there are 7.3 working UPSers to every one retired UPS employee. I doubt very seriously that there is any company in CS that has that ratio, but UPS contributes more than any other company per employee, so I shouldn't pat myself on the back? Red do yourself a favor,do a spell check before you post.It's free!Oh by the way ever carry a bow flex to the 5th floor of a condo ,no elevator, and then find out no one is a home to sign for it!:wink:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Look here Red, I here ya whining.
You damn right I may be a little self centered about this. I don't even know why you give a damn? You don't even work under CS, it sounds like you just want to spout your big mouth off.
I don't mind the work, I've been working since I was big enough to hit the tobacco fields in the rural South Carolina.Doubt you even have a clue what that entails.What you say thousands of pounds on a hand cart up 2 flights of stairs or in a basement. Who's on a pedestal now? lets see maybe 20 stops a day out a truck with a ramp. Well my friend try running a combo feeder run out of a flatbed trailer with no ramp no ventilation in the middle of an outlet park with boxes that are full of clothes that weigh anywhere between 50-lbs,350-500+ pgks a day with 45-50 stops a day
So its a food service truck your in? Prolly a refer truck.
Do some investigating huh? OK smart ass if your so smart tell me how many cs facts you know? There are only 33,000 UPS employees active in CS. Roughly 4500 retired UPS employees. So lets do the math there are 7.3 working UPSers to every one retired UPS employee. I doubt very seriously that there is any company in CS that has that ratio, but UPS contributes more than any other company per employee, so I shouldn't pat myself on the back? Red do yourself a favor,do a spell check before you post.It's free!Oh by the way ever carry a bow flex to the 5th floor of a condo ,no elevator, and then find out no one is a home to sign for it!:wink:
Your east to set off in a rage, i will keep that in mind. My friend i do 180-200 stops everyday for roughly 600 pcs. We do work hard but domt think were the only ones, i dont work in the food service but i have friends that do, thats how i know.

Im not in the cs pension thats the only right you got in your last post, and i do feel your pain. But dont think going to a ups only pension plan wont come without the same pains in the near future. So its ok to take care of yourself and not worry about the overall longterm effect of these changes.

Your right again ive never delivered a bowflex up 5 flights of stairs with no elevator to find out no one was home. I either go up 1st and see or look on the label and get their phone number to call them and see if they were home. I didnt need spell check that time to see who the fool was there.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE

Wildgoose,

I read the letter from the Central States Trustees earlier when it was cited in a previous post. I think you need to read it again. It says the opposite of what you think it says. This is a letter in which the trustees are trying to justify harsh measures they implemented in order to turn the Central States fund around. Their point is: things are bad, but we (the trustees) have taken the necessary steps, unpopular as they are, to put the plan on the road to recovery. It also seems that the letter is several years old.

Although the letter is selfserving, as are similar letters in each issue of Teamwork Magazine, I still found them worth reading. They tell us some useful facts, as well as the (biased) views of the Plan Administrator and Trustees.
http://www.centralstatesfunds.org/cs/plans/teamwork.asp
I can tell you this because of Central States being in its sad state that the company had the edge when it comes to negotiating at the table. Teamsters have set themselves up in a vulnerable position ! Members are really dissatisfied with the big picture and are starting to speak out and its only going to get more news in the near future. It sounds like the future pension receipients are carrying the present day and other companies that closed shop and that we will have to take the hit because thats the way it is ? Not acceptable !

705red

Browncafe Steward

I can tell you this because of Central States being in its sad state that the company had the edge when it comes to negotiating at the table. Teamsters have set themselves up in a vulnerable position ! Members are really dissatisfied with the big picture and are starting to speak out and its only going to get more news in the near future. It sounds like the future pension receipients are carrying the present day and other companies that closed shop and that we will have to take the hit because thats the way it is ? Not acceptable !
Wild who will carry our pension 25 30 40 years from now in a single employer fund? That to is unacceptable

badpas

705 unless your in a pension set up by those dredded apwa who have stated there plan is to have 99.9%{.1% only for managing the fund} of your pension dollars be put into your own account that is totally visable via internet, that way it doesn't matter who's on top, bottom, in business or out. This was structured in such away that it could benefit everyone depending on how long your work. This is why the teamsters don't like the apwa because their ideas make sense and are the way it should be. Who would ever think we could have intelligent ideas without having an IBT badge attached to it. Lets not forget this is our money that we have earned and has nothing to do with our brothers and sisters from other companies. What we do is up to us and we have noone else to blame but ourselves.

705red

Browncafe Steward

705 unless your in a pension set up by those dredded apwa who have stated there plan is to have 99.9%{.1% only for managing the fund} of your pension dollars be put into your own account that is totally visable via internet, that way it doesn't matter who's on top, bottom, in business or out. This was structured in such away that it could benefit everyone depending on how long your work. This is why the teamsters don't like the apwa because their ideas make sense and are the way it should be. Who would ever think we could have intelligent ideas without having an IBT badge attached to it. Lets not forget this is our money that we have earned and has nothing to do with our brothers and sisters from other companies. What we do is up to us and we have noone else to blame but ourselves.
Sure it matters if were in business pas, eventually the fund will run out of money. I understand the interest and the fund being 100% funded, but what if? Seriously if ups closed its doors and 100,000 were just retireed (5 to 10 years) how long will before we run out of money and the retirees stop getting that check?

Fullhouse

Your east to set off in a rage, i will keep that in mind. My friend i do 180-200 stops everyday for roughly 600 pcs. We do work hard but domt think were the only ones, i dont work in the food service but i have friends that do, thats how i know.

Im not in the cs pension thats the only right you got in your last post, and i do feel your pain. But dont think going to a ups only pension plan wont come without the same pains in the near future. So its ok to take care of yourself and not worry about the overall longterm effect of these changes.

Your right again ive never delivered a bowflex up 5 flights of stairs with no elevator to find out no one was home. I either go up 1st and see or look on the label and get their phone number to call them and see if they were home. I didnt need spell check that time to see who the fool was there.
WTF do you do? a mail man? Looks like I'm not the only one who easily enraged.
Look here, back in 97 cs improve the plan right? You know why? To counter the UPS proposal. Well all those years prior in CS an UPS driver was looking at 1000 a month after 30 yrs. Well back then the money that was contributed on their behalf would cover that amount. In a rush to counter UPSs' they made a move without thinking about the long run effects. CS should have said something. Maybe they did maybe they didn't who knows. So if that happened for the UPS employees did it not happen for all CS members? I know that there are separate plans in CS but wouldn't all the plans get a retirement boost? You know, "They got a raise why can't I have one too?"
The right thing to to was prorate the system. If you worked under the $1000 month agreement you got what ever percentage for the amt of years under that agreement.Then when the new agreement went into effect you started receiving credit under the new plan because the company was contributing what was needed to achieve the goal.
Maybe I'm misguided but if a man worked 28 yrs under the old agreement and 2 yrs under the new agreement. I don't think he/she was completely entitled to $3000 a month. Whether I'm wrong or not for what I think, if that happened to all members in cs, one can see how fast the system can get out of sync.
Fool? well I guess that just about includes every UPS man and women out there, because it happens all the time. It doesn't necessarily has to be a bow flex.
I could read your post a little faster if I didn't have to decipher what you typed. Spell check is the little check mark with abc above it on your tool bar. :lol:

705red

Browncafe Steward
WTF do you do? a mail man? Looks like I'm not the only one who easily enraged.
Look here, back in 97 cs improve the plan right? You know why? To counter the UPS proposal. Well all those years prior in CS an UPS driver was looking at 1000 a month after 30 yrs. Well back then the money that was contributed on their behalf would cover that amount. In a rush to counter UPSs' they made a move without thinking about the long run effects. CS should have said something. Maybe they did maybe they didn't who knows. So if that happened for the UPS employees did it not happen for all CS members? I know that there are separate plans in CS but wouldn't all the plans get a retirement boost? You know, "They got a raise why can't I have one too?"
The right thing to to was prorate the system. If you worked under the $1000 month agreement you got what ever percentage for the amt of years under that agreement.Then when the new agreement went into effect you started receiving credit under the new plan because the company was contributing what was needed to achieve the goal.
Maybe I'm misguided but if a man worked 28 yrs under the old agreement and 2 yrs under the new agreement. I don't think he/she was completely entitled to $3000 a month. Whether I'm wrong or not for what I think, if that happened to all members in cs, one can see how fast the system can get out of sync.
Fool? well I guess that just about includes every UPS man and women out there, because it happens all the time. It doesn't necessarily has to be a bow flex.
I could read your post a little faster if I didn't have to decipher what you typed. Spell check is the little check mark with abc above it on your tool bar. :lol:
Im sorry i will try and use lit tle wor ds for you fro m now on if its get tin g to com pli cat ed for you. Do you need pictures to? Look you should never pull a dell delivery out of your truck if your not sure someones home, its common sense more than anything. Work smarter not harder!

jware

I kind of agree with you. Its hard for me to see how any UPS'er can think differntly. I may be a little off on my figures, but Ive been told that only about $.60 of every dollar UPS puts into my pension fund actually goes to me. Now Im all for helping out, but that seems a little extreme. Not to mention that the fund is still in very bad shape. I'm not being selfish or saying we need to leave others out to dry. However, I for one am not ready to sell my or my famlies future out for someone else. especially for a system that bound to fail in the long run. Again, look at social security. Its the same concept, a failed concept. In a perfect world we would recieve the money in our own retirement account (IRA, ROTH IRA). I dont see that happening however. I hope UPS'ers think hard about whats being offered, there's no guarantees in life, however just look at the present. Our plan is still underfunded despite the cuts that have been implemented, and a stock market thats at an all time high. Where does the light at the end of the tunnel come from?