UPS On Road Supervisor paygrade or salary

browncurious

I have applied for a full time On Road Supervisor position. It says pay grade is 20F does anyone know what this is or pays? I tried searching the forum but could not find any info. Any info would b appreciated.

Also if i had a seatbelt ticket violation am i automatically disqualified for the job? Does your driving record need to be free from any violations whatsoever?

ibleedbrown

in my building i heard the pay is around 85k a year. they work in teams and one week one guy will work mon, wed, fri 7am-9pm tues, thurs 7am-5pm and the othe guy mon, wed, fri 7am-5pm tues, thurs 7am-9pm the following week they will switch.

PACNW

The question is what position are you in now? Not a driver obviously. If you are a part-time sup they are going to screw the hell out of you with a lowball salary. Probably around $60-65K, and even with the MIP you will still be making in the neighborhood of $20,000 less than the people you supervise. Then factor in what you will be paying in benefits and it's even worse. This is your one and only time to negotiate your salary, I would advise you to not do it for less than $80,000. Think about the difference in those salaries compounded over a career.

A lot PT Sups have this dilema, $60,000 sounds like a ton of money and they rush to take it. Then a few years down the road they realize everyone around them (other friend/t sups included) is making so much more. The job sucks enough without the thought of being grossly underpaid.

curiousbrain

This is only hearsay on my part, but I want to say ORS starts around 70k a year, with a raise of like 600$ or something in that neighborhood after 6 months.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is only hearsay on my part, but I want to say ORS starts around 70k a year, with a raise of like 600$ or something in that neighborhood after 6 months.

Our most recent retiree was an on-car. He drove for 15 years and spent the next 18 years in mgt. He told me that when he first went in to mgt he was making about 15% less than he was when he was driving. By the time he retired he had earned enough stock bonuses to put his three kids through college and walked one of them down the aisle.

BURMDPsupe

Our most recent retiree was an on-car. He drove for 15 years and spent the next 18 years in mgt. He told me that when he first went in to mgt he was making about 15% less than he was when he was driving. By the time he retired he had earned enough stock bonuses to put his three kids through college and walked one of them down the aisle.

Sadly, that is no longer the norm.

M-

MORDNEDS

you'll start about 67k a year but you have to pay for part of your insurance now. You get MIP prorated the march after promotion if qualified. No 6th month bonus anymore. Yearly raise based on QPR performance.

My husband is at 81600 before mip. He's been w ups 13 years. He's been an on road sup for 7.5 years.

This year was the worst for us w mip- so I think said and done he is around 93k this year.
Never calls in sick, works 65+ a wk- he is very dedicated. So I that is what you're looking for then I think you will be happy.

Now remember if you're married or if you have kids it's rough. So have those talks with them because I am single mom basically Monday-Friday. During peak it will be worse... But for us this works because he wants to move up within the company and I support that. But I won't lie if he was open to looking outside of ups I would gladly take a pay loss to have a 40hr work week for him

Hope it works out for you

Mapp

Choo Choo
About 23 an hour, decent money, but you live at UPS even more than drivers. No pension, pay for healthcare, higher stress move you at will etc.. UPS is consolidating not expanding. If it was the 70s or 80s it would be worth it.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I spent 11 years as a part-time supervisor/OMS and now I'm a week away from finishing my 30-day probationary period for package driving. My center manager let me go driving in order to help me get promoted to an On-Car Supervisor for our center. The only reason I'd even consider going back to management is because I've been with the company long enough that I'm grandfathered into the old management pension plan. I'm going to ask for $6600/month and take no less if I'm offered a job. At least now I'll have driving rather than PT supervision to fall back on if they don't give me what I'm looking for (I live in the SF bay area so what I'm asking for is not an absurd amount of money, especially considering the hours I'll be putting in).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm kind of in the same boat. I spent 11 years as a part-time supervisor/OMS and now I'm a week away from finishing my 30-day probationary period for package driving. My center manager let me go driving in order to help me get promoted to an On-Car Supervisor for our center. The only reason I'd even consider going back to management is because I've been with the company long enough that I'm grandfathered into the old management pension plan. I'm going to ask for $6600/month and take no less if I'm offered a job. At least now I'll have driving rather than PT supervision to fall back on if they don't give me what I'm looking for (I live in the SF bay area so what I'm asking for is not an absurd amount of money, especially considering the hours I'll be putting in).

Good luck on that ... enjoy your driving position.

Not that I blame you or that you are wrong.

baklava

Good luck on that ... enjoy your driving position.

Not that I blame you or that you are wrong.

That's pretty much what I figured. Driving (so far) is a cool gig, so if this is what its gonna be I can live with that. I'm not going to sell myself short for this place.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's pretty much what I figured. Driving (so far) is a cool gig, so if this is what its gonna be I can live with that. I'm not going to sell myself short for this place.

how do you like driving in san fransico??? I would think that parking would be horrible along with all of the apartments...but it is a beautiful city with lots of history. How many drivers do you have in the area????

baklava

how do you like driving in san fransico??? I would think that parking would be horrible along with all of the apartments...but it is a beautiful city with lots of history. How many drivers do you have in the area????

There are 5 centers that service SF. My center has some of the worst parts of it, so unfortunately I get the 'hood and the projects instead of the "beautiful" parts of the city. I'm sure delivering downtown is pretty intense but I've never had to do it...yet.

baklava

Hoaxster; does UPS just pretty much offer the same salary for new FT sups or does experience (PT sup and driving) factor into "negotiations"...I'm wondering how far off I am in what I'm asking for

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster; does UPS just pretty much offer the same salary for new FT sups or does experience (PT sup and driving) factor into "negotiations"...I'm wondering how far off I am in what I'm asking for

Promotions into a position are typically at 90% or less of the mid-point for a range for that position.
Frisco is the highest range due to the price of housing.

I was being flippant in my answer (if you stick around, you will learn) but in Georgia, someone starting at $6600 a month is not likely.
I did not notice your being in Frisco until I reread the thread.

Good luck in whichever way it works out.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Promotions into a position are typically at 90% or less of the mid-point for a range for that position.

It's those kind of pay schemes that make me question why your typical corporate worker isn't embracing Unionism. They aren't being paid according to their production or worth, just within an arbitrary range. No different than all Package drivers getting the same pay in my book, but without the protections of a Union contract or guaranteed progression.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's those kind of pay schemes that make me question why your typical corporate worker isn't embracing Unionism. They aren't being paid according to their production or worth, just within an arbitrary range. No different than all Package drivers getting the same pay in my book, but without the protections of a Union contract or guaranteed progression.

Except management gets fired for lack of meeting goals or in some cases, meeting goals but meeting them not as well as others in your group.
A management person can be found as "needs improvement", even when they meet every goal, if others did even better.
Half of the management people you see "needs improvement" even if they are doing a good job.

If a management person is performing well, they can max out or even get promoted or moved to a higher grade.

Most other companies do not classify professional or skilled labor as management like UPS does.
UPS likes to classify people as management even if they do not materially make decisions in the running of the company because it provides flexibility and accountability.
Pretty much impossible to organize and the vast majority would not be interested.
"Management-type" people in the US are expected to work for 6 or 7 companies in their career. UPS is in the process of migrating to this model.

baklava

Thanks for the feedback and good luck, Hoaxster, much appreciated.

BTW, I'm from San Francisco, "Frisco" is a town in Texas :wink2: