UPS open door alcohol and drug policy question.

goetface

Hey guys, as you all know HR tells you that if you got a problem with alcohol or drugs that if you goto them first they will get you help, vs DT and being fired. My question is, is this something someone who things they need it, should it be sought after through UPS? or is this a bad career move? is the help free? anyone have or know anyone with experience in taking advantage of this?

goetface

Yea I've done AA, but I have to not by choice enroll in something for further rehab in order to get a medical liscense to demonstrate I've done more then AA, and court ordered stuff for my medical board. I have to find something like an outpatient clinic.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would not go to ups, I would get help outside of UPS. I dont care what the privacy policy is, you are on record.
heres the deal. If you have a problem, quit. If its drugs, go to a doc and get a script for suboxin, whatever to quit. Youre job is safe if you are in union, you will go on fmla. You will not get paid. It will be the best investment you ever made in yourself to not be addicted. Ive seen far too many people try to live being addicted to drugs, and keep a good personna. Once its gone from your life, you would be amazed how easy it is to live your life.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
.... Youre job is safe if you are in union, you will go on fmla.......

The poster who started this topic is not eligible for FMLA. Article 16 of NMA covers various types of leave of absence available. See:
  • Section 2, personal unpaid leave
  • Section 5, rehab. leave & future conditions of employment
  • Section 6, FMLA (to see why s/he is not eligible)
His or her state's labor laws could possibly have some applicable employee protection available.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yea I've done AA, but I have to not by choice enroll in something for further rehab in order to get a medical liscense to demonstrate I've done more then AA, and court ordered stuff for my medical board. I have to find something like an outpatient clinic.
As Dilli said, contact your county. They should have something. Income based as well. At $150 a week, might be free.
Good luck, Goetface. Keep us updated as we care.

bigblu 2 you

do not go to ups,i had a friend who was going through a wife's terminal illness,son in jail and he was having blood pressure issues and not taking meds properly,long story short he fell off the wagon and checked into a clinic.when he came out ups thanked him for twenty years of service and fired him.his wife passed and he was left with 3 kids,52 years old and no income.the sad part was he lost his battle at the state panel and half of the management there are known alcoholics.find help soon and keep it to yourself...good luck and best wishes.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
hondo, if he is not eligible for fmla then he is not eligible for coverage, sooo do not contact UPS for help. Period.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
do not go to ups,i had a friend who was going through a wife's terminal illness,son in jail and he was having blood pressure issues and not taking meds properly,long story short he fell off the wagon and checked into a clinic.when he came out ups thanked him for twenty years of service and fired him.his wife passed and he was left with 3 kids,52 years old and no income.the sad part was he lost his battle at the state panel and half of the management there are known alcoholics.find help soon and keep it to yourself...good luck and best wishes.
Yes, ups like the government. When they say let us help, run run as fast as you can. They do not help.