UPS or Railroad

oldngray

nowhere special
The future at railroads is worse than at UPS. There are some nice jobs but with the constant automation and downsizing most of those jobs won't be there in 30 years if you are looking at a career.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I would choose the rail road. Most of the guys I know are home by 3 to 4 pm. They get a company truck to drive. Way more vacation time at a faster pace. They have a life after work. Not a guarantee at all with brown

rod

Retired 22 years
The future at railroads is worse than at UPS. There are some nice jobs but with the constant automation and downsizing most of those jobs won't be there in 30 years if you are looking at a career.

Damn near every rail line in Minnesota has been turned into a stupid public paved hiking / biking trail. Hundreds of miles of them. It was just on the news the other day that the first ones are now beginning to fall apart and the State will eventually need to come up with 300 million bucks to redo all of them----- and there is no money in the budget for that. Duh! There's nothing wrong with a trail system but paving them --give me a break.

oldngray

nowhere special
Damn near every rail line in Minnesota has been turned into a stupid public paved hiking / biking trail. Hundreds of miles of them. It was just on the news the other day that the first ones are now beginning to fall apart and the State will eventually need to come up with 300 million bucks to redo all of them----- and there is no money in the budget for that. Duh! There's nothing wrong with a trail system but paving them --give me a break.

They did the same thing here with some abandoned rail lines too. They did pave for the cyclists but that was pretty much something that had to be done. Not falling apart yet since they don't get the wear and tear paved roads get.

rod

Retired 22 years
They did the same thing here with some abandoned rail lines too. They did pave for the cyclists but that was pretty much something that had to be done. Not falling apart yet since they don't get the wear and tear paved roads get.

I say nothing builds character like peddling a bike in sugar sand.

barnyard

KTM rider
Pretty sure that it takes 5 years to reach full scale with any of the Class 8 RRs. You will be on the extra board for at least 20 years. The money is really good. You will miss as much of your family life as you do at UPS.

asphaltcowboy

Both are great jobs but the UP wore my dad down bad 3 back surgeries, plate in neck, and ripped bicep in two being a mechanic some years ago. On the other hand UPS has many options to choose from once you've put in your time. Driving can be hard but if you follow safe work methods and realize all you have to do is drive and walk its a great way to stay healthy and feel great. Get your business done then take an hour break and say to your self I just need to finish by 14 hrs. Once you can walk through the truck its a piece of cake and make 80-90k.

Ps there really is no production standard it's all a numbers game at UPS make it back safe with no missed and you're golden

TheKid99

Canadian National Conductor top rate is $37.08/hr with 90 percent starting pay

So i would start off at $33.27

Railroad Pension
Dental, vision, dental and life insurance
Profit sharing, etc

I would definitely quit UPS for CN but its not the railroad that's offering me a position

The railroad that i may receive an offer from tops out around $27-28/hr, local so ill likely be home every night

I will most likely have the chance of being a full time driver this year but a full time cover driver...

rod

Retired 22 years
A friend who works for the Union Pacific says they are having a hard time finding people who want to actually work. That sounds familiar.

Railroad retirement is the best I've ever seen. Around 5g for you and half more for your wife if you're married. And if you die first she gets the full pension.

But kiss your weekends goodbye. I worked on the rails for 3 years weekends and graveyard included and it sucked.

Both jobs has it's ups and downs, so think about it.
How hard is the work you will be doing???

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I may recieve an offer for freight conductor at a railroad.

I talked to my co workers and they said ill be a fool to pick UPS over the railroad do you agree?

The money would be really good and the railroad pension would be nice but my weekends and holidays will be gone
I'll admit, I am jealous. I spent years applying to be a railroad conductor before I got in at UPS. Their hiring process is dumb as hell but if you can get through it you're golden. I'd be the perfect candidate for it but thanks to this age of online-only job applications they never got the chance to see that.

Since both companies are seniority based it'd probably be dumb of me if I switched at this point, especially since I still like it at UPS, but if I had neither job and was choosing between one or the other, I'd likely choose railroad.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Canadian National Conductor top rate is $37.08/hr with 90 percent starting pay

So i would start off at $33.27

Railroad Pension
Dental, vision, dental and life insurance
Profit sharing, etc

I would definitely quit UPS for CN but its not the railroad that's offering me a position

The railroad that i may receive an offer from tops out around $27-28/hr, local so ill likely be home every night

I will most likely have the chance of being a full time driver this year but a full time cover driver...

Does the railway workers regularly get overtime?

rod

Retired 22 years
Does the railway workers regularly get overtime?

Lots of it from what I read online. Also lots of weekend and Holiday work. From what I read its best to apply at places where the coal trains and oil trains originate. The road to advancement is faster there. Also from the little I checked it out there are a lot of disgruntled railroad workers too.