UPS or Railroad

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My grandfather retired from the railroad and my dad probably should of taken that route but didn't.

Said it was really hard work when he first started in the 70's. Soon after that a lot of stuff became automated and I don't think its quite as physically demanding a job as it once was.

Family was the reason I didn't choose the railroad mostly. Around here it's a 2 weeks on 1 week off (if you're lucky) schedule. They travel all over to 4-5 states doing work.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always wanted to be "that" engineer who ran the train through the wilds of Alaska or the Rockies but I suppose those routes are taken.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
How hard is the work you will be doing???

I was a carman, not an engineer or anything. But my work was more physical and demanding. Although it wasn't as tiring as being a driver.

The rail industry is easier, but having weekends off with my family and friends is a good trade off.

I was a carman, not an engineer or anything. But my work was more physical and demanding. Although it wasn't as tiring as being a driver.

The rail industry is easier, but having weekends off with my family and friends is a good trade off.
How'd you choose the screen name salad tosser???

stilwell-train-accident-1.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
Most of the train crew complaining that I hear from riding buddies is that the RR is not hiring enough crewmen and they are working a lot.

I know people that work for BNSF, UP, CN and CP. The guys that complain the most work for CN and CP. Cost cutting at those roads is resulting in poorly maintained equipment, which results in breakdown issues and stuck out on the road issues.

BNSF is awash in oil, coal, grain and container traffic. Now is a good time to get on, as a person would not spend very much time on the bottom of the seniority list. Plus they are hiring at pretty much every terminal.

The guys that do not say anything, work for UP. Not good or bad, just a job. I suspect that the UP would not be a horrible place to work.

Railroad forums are a tough place to get information. Foamers (that's what railroaders call people that like trains) are not looked at favorably and getting reliable information can be tough. I am also on a motorcycle forum where there is a railroad thread. There are management and union posters, so it is a pretty good mix of info. I see the same trend there, UP guys do not say a lot, good or bad; the Canucks are always complaining about crappy equipment and the BNSF about work, work, work.

Edited to add..... I should have hired on to the railroad when I quit farming. Easier work and who cares that the hours are whacked after you have worked 7 days a week for the past 7 years....

rama'nfeeders

I believe when you work for the railroads you put about 10-12% into your pension but the wives get a pension at a certain age and yes if the hubby passes away she gets his pension. Pros and cons everywhere