UPS Overtime

705red

Browncafe Steward
Its all spelled out in the contract located on the left of the cafe's home page. Package drivers top out during this contract without a cola at $32.20 an hour and feeder add a quarter more.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I understand that I get credit for the week but I am still trying to understand how much pension cost savings the company can realize by cutting routes on a day to day basis.

I haven't been laid off in the 16 years I have driven or the 7 years I preloaded before that. I just don't see why we pay unlimited overtime to our drivers when other businesses are trying to eliminate all overtime.
If every driver works at least one day, there is no savings at least in this area.

ups79

My copy of 710's contract says $297.00 a week for each full-time employee effective August 1, 2008 to the pension fund.

It doesn't say anything about hours worked.

Yes, but you still have to work at least one day during that week in order for a contribution to be made. Unless you are on vacation.

Re-Raise

Yes, but you still have to work at least one day during that week in order for a contribution to be made. Unless you are on vacation.

So you are saying it actually depends on 'who' works that week not how many employees. So if three drivers take off on Monday then UPS will have to pay for the extra three employees who took their routes for the one day?

beatupbrown

They have been doing this for years ,cheaper to pay overtime then have a exta body on the payroll.Load em up be back when its done air leaves at 800pm.

mnnice

So if a driver is laid off he still has his benefits. They still have to provide insurance and vacations to the drivers sitting at home.

How do they determine the pension contributions? Is it the highest number of full-time employees who worked any day that week or what? And even if they save 1 or 2 pension contributions I think that is about $300 a piece I make $300 a week in overtime myself.
I think you better check with your union on getting your benefits if you are laid off. UPS will not contribute to your benefits if you are laid off the entire week. If you work one hour during the week, your benefits are paid for.

Re-Raise

I think some people may have the mistaken belief I have a dog in this fight. I don't , I am not laid off, I make a lot in overtime and I know it has always been like this at UPS.

I just don't understand how they justify all the time and a half they pay when all they have to do is call back some of the people on layoff.

We are not the only company that provides their employees insurance and retirement benefits. But not many I know of intentionally understaff themselves to pay 10 hours of overtime to each of their full-time employees.

If anyone reading this can give me actual cost figures I would love to hear them.

spuman

What came first? The chicken or the egg?

And God said, "Let the earth bring forth every kind of animal--livestock,small animals, and wildlife".God made all sorts of wild animals,livestock,and small animals,each able to reproduce more of its own kind.And God saw it was good.
genesis 1:24

I think that means the chicken came first.

re raise - the reason ups forces overtime is because they pay a full rate drver $28.00 plus 5.00 into the pension and 5.00 in hlth ins to the union =$38.00 up to 8 hrs after the 8 hrs they dont pay into your hlth ins or pension so now after 8 hrs u get 42.00 an hr for ot so the reason is business i mean cost effective so give 4 drvrs 2 hrs of ot at a rate of 42.00 is cheaper to ups than to run another pkg car all day consider the gas wear n tear etc, the differance in gas alone is cheaper then another full rate driver who stops at 8 hrs of straight time full rate driver makes 38.00 hr up to 8 hrs full rate driver on ot 42.00 hr if they worked all full rate drivers at 8 hrs only they are only saving roughly 32.00 and we all burn more than 32.00 a day in fuel and i m sure ther numbers look good on paper 38.00 x 8 hrs=304.00 42.00 x 8=336 gas=1.80 a gal i hope this is not too confusing also these figures r rough i know we make more

Re-Raise

And God said, "Let the earth bring forth every kind of animal--livestock,small animals, and wildlife".God made all sorts of wild animals,livestock,and small animals,each able to reproduce more of its own kind.And God saw it was good.
genesis 1:24

I think that means the chicken came first.

Great I get no answers, but somebody answers Chester's chicken question.....

Re-Raise

re raise - the reason ups forces overtime is because they pay a full rate drver $28.00 plus 5.00 into the pension and 5.00 in hlth ins to the union

Alright .. now we are getting somewhere. thanks for the response drivemecrazy

I am not sure your numbers apply for my local, however. I have been trying to clarify how our pension contributions are calculated and the previous answers in this thread say that one day worked equals a whole week's payment to the union. Also where are you getting the $5 health ins to the union, what does the union have to do with my health ins?

Re-Raise

I don't think so. It is administered by Aetna and Blue Cross but it has always said UPS on all my insurance information, nothing about the teamsters. I am in 710.

re raise- in our local ups pays 7.16 per hr up to a max of 40 hrs=286.00 a week this is just health ins than another 5.26 per hr up to 40 hrs= 210.40 a week this is just into the pension fund plus there r contractual raises this money is not reflected in your paycheck it goes to the union and the union now distributes through your pension and in our case our health benefits ex. glasses, dental hospital, medicine etc.

re raise- if you r a teamster and i m sure you are, the union makes the payments to aetna and blue cross and they negotiate a plan for their members and pay the ins companie i also have blue cross

re raise i never heard of the forms saying ups on them could be a little differant in your local but that y ups and the teamster battle at contract time because ups thinks they pat too much for our health ins

Re-Raise

Does Aetna still distribute your benefits? I have my insurance card here , does your insurance card say teamsters instead of UPS?

And what part of the country do you work in?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's different all over the country. Local 344 in WI is paid by UPS to handle our pension and insurance. The local contracts with Humana to provide the health coverage.