UPS Pay Progression SUCKS!

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
When u look at having 15 yrs part time and then a 3 yr progression do Ups drivers really make more over the life spam of a career over another 7-3 or 9-5 job with a normal wage. I'm talking lifespam from 1st day part time to retirement.

I think top wage is just to catch up on all those low wage long part time years.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Okay, so the 3 year progression isn't IDEAL, but before UPS I worked 2 jobs and the other job I worked was at a body shop. After 5 years of working there I had went from $400 to just under $600 by the time I left after 5 years.

So after 3 years of FT driving, I will be on equal footing with everyone else.

If you can deal with managements BS (ignore it), then you'll be in good shape.

Leftinbuilding

I have a differant spin on your progression . I have worked full time in the private sector full time for 35+ years for smaller companies and there was no progression the only raises you recieved were for merit only and many times it was a stuggle getting them. The only way you moved up was to work hard or change companies. With progression a least you have defined set period of when you will get top rate.Also you have a great pension, many retired drivers are collecting $4K a month or more after 25-30 years service. In the private sector there are very few companies if any that have a pension.The only monies you get are profit sharing and 401K's .Being a part timer for the last 13 years I have nothing but respect for the package car drivers and how hard they work and the burdens the company puts on them,but the grass is not always greener somewhere else. $31.00 per hour ,great benefits,and a good pension make the progression seem not that bad.( and all brought to you by the IBT). The reason why I stayed after a difficult time in my life are the outstanding benefits and the PT pension . Yeah the extended progression sucks but if you can stick it out there is a reward. The alternatives out there in this economy are very few.

Good attitudes not welcome here. Please move along.

Indecisi0n

I am going throw the same thing right now. I am working 11 hr days getting crap pay (starting pay). I realize i have to "pay my dues" and earn the big bucks. Do they take advantage of you? Yes. Do you have and weight to throw around and call them out on it? Hell no. Get on the books work your way up and man up.

I agree the pay progression sucks but wait to the next contract when they keep spreading the progression even further. And if you think they treat you bad now just wait until you get closer to retirement and they ride your ass about everything imaginable. Our start times keep moving back too. They want to make our jobs as miserable as they can so we all quit and can start some newbie out on this now longer than ever wage progression. Hang in there!!!!!!!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I agree the pay progression sucks but wait to the next contract when they keep spreading the progression even further. And if you think they treat you bad now just wait until you get closer to retirement and they ride your ass about everything imaginable. Our start times keep moving back too. They want to make our jobs as miserable as they can so we all quit and can start some newbie out on this now longer than ever wage progression. Hang in there!!!!!!!

You get what you pay for is something I think UPS is gunna get familiar with if they stretch it out too far.

HULKAMANIA

So what happens to the people if that so happens that are caught inbetween? Will I still be the old wage? If they do that good luck getting people to stay with this job thats all I gotta say. Managers are already saying everywhere that they arent "seeing it" in the next crop of drivers. Either people cant do the job or just dont want to work that hard.

brown_trousers

I don't think the progression will change but I do see a two-tiered wage system, with a lower starting wage and lower top out, at least being discussed in 2013.

This subject keeps coming up. where are these rumors coming from? Do we have some inside source leaking info about what UPS is going to be negotiating for next contract?

hdkappler

I just wanted to rant a little on my disgust with the pay progression at UPS. Starting out in this company is so hard to do. New driver you are bumped out alot, tossed around all the time, and expected to do more work than pretty much anybody else simply because you are the low guy. Last week I ran 4-11 hour days which to me is ridiculous. Thats actual on road hours to not planned hours. My planned hours were 11.5 and 11.2. I was the only one in the center getting back in after 8. I understand being the low guy and having to start lower than the guys that have earned their way. I totally understand and respect that. However having to wait 3 YEARS before I make that amount of money is absolutely ridiculous!!!!

I went to Integrad and their big story was all the new hires were quitting because of lack of training-one word-WRONG!!!! Its the pay they are making thats making them quit. Nobody wants to do this job and work this hard, deal with the stress, and put up with some mouthy supervisor EVERY MORNING for $16 an hour.

I am in no way shape or form bashing the guys who make the top pay, I realize you earned it, worked to get there and am happy for you. Just wondered how many of you went through the same thought process Im at right now?
only 16.00 an hour.would you like to know how many gals and guys would like to have want you have?plus free benefits?belive me i talk to people in my store who would love to have your job.if youre going to quit join the arm forces can retire in 20years,plus free benefits and you don't have pay union dues.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Isnt that so sad though? I appreciate everything you guys are saying, I actually just turned 30 so its kind of a hard decision to make. The sad thing is I honestly dont mind the work, I dont mind working hard at all. Its just like alot of you guys say when you work that hard and constantly beat up about it, it gets to you. You are out there working your can off and come in the next morning no matter what and have some schmuck running his flaps to you about something he has absolutely no idea about. Dont get me wrong Im not a "rookie" with UPS but I havent been with them for 10 years either. When I went to integrad their big saying was, OH you guys will have a job with a weeks training better than most people have with 4 year job education.
We aren't too dissimilar. I am 32 and have 10 years in at UPS, over 5 FT.

It is a difficult job and life as an hourly. But not as much mentally difficult and arduous, but stress-wise it can be - also physically. Both short-term and long-term. Bad combo.

For ex: For over a month I have fighting off a sports hernia. I really can't do anything comfortably except move around, walk and sit down without disrupting it. Surgery is the only option to fix permanently, looking like.

Last year I was bit by a dog delivering and my knee hasn't been the same since because of not only the bite but the inside to outside twisting of the knee.

Newsflash! To the OP-your way of thinking is exactly what UPS wants and they thank you. You completed their "military style" course,so youre frame of mind is youve accomplished alot and have a bright future with the company.This frame of mind gets YOU to become whats known as a "burner".(run boy,run!) Not only do you end up doing 50% more work but you do it for 40% less money.Thats whats known as a win-win for UPS. And last but not least,most "burners" will be burnt out before they reach full scale,quit, and be replaced by another "burner" with the same dreams. A vicious cycle but its UPS' equivalent to outsourcing jobs overseas to keep costs low. Think about it!!!