UPS pays $40M to end illicit pharmacies probe

Indecisi0n

As much as I hate UPS why are we being fined for something we had no knowledge of was illegal? Or am I missing something here?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
So...now UPS's job is to vet every single business that wants to ship within it's delivery area? Are they serious? And now we had to pay back all the revenue we generated? Who's job is it to vet a business anyway? If we were knowingly in cahoots with a known illegal company then yes we should pay it back. It's not our job to vet companies...we have the IRS and the various policing departments and agencies that are suppose to do that. I fail to see why we have to pay it back. Shouldn't the illegal pharmacies pay for it? I can see us doing a PR meeting stating that the whole thing was a horrible mess and we'll do our part to make sure we aren't knowingly engaged in illegal activity and offer to help the people who were harmed. But paying the FED $40 million? For what? I don't get it.

Indecisi0n

So...now UPS's job is to vet every single business that wants to ship within it's delivery area? Are they serious? And now we had to pay back all the revenue we generated? Who's job is it to vet a business anyway? If we were knowingly in cahoots with a known illegal company then yes we should pay it back. It's not our job to vet companies...we have the IRS and the various policing departments and agencies that are suppose to do that. I fail to see why we have to pay it back. Shouldn't the illegal pharmacies pay for it? I can see us doing a PR meeting stating that the whole thing was a horrible mess and we'll do our part to make sure we aren't knowingly engaged in illegal activity and offer to help the people who were harmed. But paying the FED $40 million? For what? I don't get it.

UPS is just saying, here is $40 million dollars now go away. It works.

Returntosender

Appears to be a BS Government probe on behalf of the "Pharmacy" companies and their lobbyists. God forbid if elderly people order the same drugs they need outside the U.S. for less than half the cost they have to pay in the U.S..
Some eldery in the northern states, get they're drugs from Canada, via their Canada family.

TUT

I see the world economy can work for business.... Send everything to China for slave wages.

But the consumer.... you cannot do business with another country, because you have to pay our price.

Nice little double standard there.

As for a carrier being fined... that is ridiculous.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It's everything that's wrong with this country. I don't know the details about this case, but if it's about Canadian pharmacies, it's BS. I love how these 'free market' companies, like Big Pharma, use their money to change the rules when things don't their way. Democrats, Republicans...it's all the same. Is there anything worse than making your own countrymen pay more money to appease big corporations? Grandma just needs to get her own PAC to solve her medication problem. No, instead, she uses the free market to find her medicine at the cheapest cost the market will bare. That works for her, until the greatest free market country in the world decides be a cheap lapdog to the pharmaceutical industry. That's simply pathetic, and flies in the face of the idea that this is the greatest country in the world.

This is how we treat our own people? Wow.

MAKAVELI

They do it for wine shippers, don't they? So why not pharmaceuticals?

thedownhillEXPRESS

It's everything that's wrong with this country. I don't know the details about this case, but if it's about Canadian pharmacies, it's BS. I love how these 'free market' companies, like Big Pharma, use their money to change the rules when things don't their way. Democrats, Republicans...it's all the same. Is there anything worse than making your own countrymen pay more money to appease big corporations? Grandma just needs to get her own PAC to solve her medication problem. No, instead, she uses the free market to find her medicine at the cheapest cost the market will bare. That works for her, until the greatest free market country in the world decides be a cheap lapdog to the pharmaceutical industry. That's simply pathetic, and flies in the face of the idea that this is the greatest country in the world.

Not quite what happened.

US based brick and mortar pharmacies with an operation taking thousands of internet orders out of the back.(operation looked normal up front)

Fake online doctor signs prescription, real pharmacist then robo signs them.

Hundreds of locations across the country, many of them owned by a single entity which was usually an out of country crime syndicate.

They bought up the mom and pops, but kept mom and pops as the frontman.

UPS and FEDEX were warned on many occasions over the course of 6 years......

These weren't Grandma's nitro pills, these were the highly addictive morphine based drugs responsible for part of the nations drug epidemic.

TUT

I tried to like this twice, I couldn't the standard way... So I'm doing it this way. LIKE! Exactly, in the court of public, everything is so perfect, one for all, all for one. Turn the camera off. Me, myself and I. We should be doing so much better, but it probably is this rule... One bad apple spoils the bunch. Meaning, since one person is a ________, others have to follow to stay in business.

TUT

They do it for wine shippers, don't they? So why not pharmaceuticals?

They do a light sprinkling for wine, the legals will do it right. But if a company wants to ship illegally, they won't state it as wine. The onus package by package is on the shipper to abide by state laws. For example carriers won't keep track of how much wine a single person rec'd yearly, some states have that exact requirement. Wine is predictable with size/wieght, so you can assume a little bit, but then they could come back with "it's olive oil".

Now move to Pharms/Meds, not predictable on size nor weight. And there are a million and one different kinds of medical things that can be moving all around the country. A carrier couldn't keep track of this, you guys would have to be Dr's with an under of logistics. So that not being possible, the common sense conclusion is back on the shippers to do it right. And if they aren't, the law goes after the shipper not the carrier. Meds/Devices also have state pairings (from/to) which are legal and illegal product by product, how would you ever know that?

The illegals aren't going to tell you "hey were shipping illegal packages!".

USPS haven't shipped any illegal pharms/meds across states that shouldn't be paired?

HOWEVER.... if they can prove the carrier knows and is in cahoots to some level with the shipper doing it, well then they are liable.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
They do a light sprinkling for wine, the legals will do it right. But if a company wants to ship illegally, they won't state it as wine. The onus package by package is on the shipper to abide by state laws. For example carriers won't keep track of how much wine a single person rec'd yearly, some states have that exact requirement. Wine is predictable with size/wieght, so you can assume a little bit, but then they could come back with "it's olive oil".

Now move to Pharms/Meds, not predictable on size nor weight. And there are a million and one different kinds of medical things that can be moving all around the country. A carrier couldn't keep track of this, you guys would have to be Dr's with an under of logistics. So that not being possible, the common sense conclusion is back on the shippers to do it right. And if they aren't, the law goes after the shipper not the carrier. Meds/Devices also have state pairings (from/to) which are legal and illegal product by product, how would you ever know that?

The illegals aren't going to tell you "hey were shipping illegal packages!".

USPS haven't shipped any illegal pharms/meds across states that shouldn't be paired?

HOWEVER.... if they can prove the carrier knows and is in cahoots to some level with the shipper doing it, well then they are liable.

The drugs were delivered in paks. Everyone that handled them knew what they were. You couldn't tell if they were ordered legally or illegally but when you saw the receivers you knew they were suspect. I'm glad we settled and agreed to implement controls. It was the right thing to do.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
They don't vet the wine companies. The companies say they ship wine and there are DOT rules for shipping wine. If a pharmaceutical company says they ship pills and stuff, there's no regulation. Hell I have my testosterone sitting on my front porch whenever I have to order it.