Ups pcs in the snow?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Savvy412, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Savvy412

Savvy412 Active Member

I drove a little bit last year in snow , but my route was right next to my hub and was very flat, I heard the pcs are like bob sleds in the snow but I'm wondering from upsers experience how bad they are . My route isn't to "hilly" but looking at the forecast this week and seeing 4-6 inches (first of year) I'm going over my route in my head and thinking about a couple hills that I see my self sliding down . (Or not)? Ughh I hate winter ! Any tips would be awesome too.

2. They suck in the snow,especially the newer ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Anthonysg0113

Anthonysg0113 Active Member

Get acquainted with EC'ing stops.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Stay home.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. McGee

McGee Well-Known Member

They do?? Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to grab a manual one ( IF I have the choice)...

6. They are much better in the snow. You can't "rock out" an automatic when you are stuck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

The shift inhibit sucks. The 800 I had for peak was surprisingly good in the snow. Three bags of sand in totes, @ RDR, & RDL, made a big difference.

8. The smallest amount of spinning sets it off.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Bidding a route where they actually plow the roads really helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. The old Ford 5 speeds were the best in the snow.

11. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

If they don't have a shift inhibitor on them you can if you know what your doing. i definitely agree manual offer you better control of getting the power to the wheels.

12. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

Just go down those hilly streets backwards to where you're going mostly downhill instead of uphill. Always park right on the curb and turn your wheels! Chains also help a lot. You'll see it isnt that bad once you get a feel for the car and how it handles.

13. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's better to drive in snow than plowed streets that are a sheet of ice.

14. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

The best thing about the newer pc's in the winter & snow, is the heat. Keep the glass defrosted way better.

15. The heat is outstanding in the new vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  16. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

Need it to keep our old bones warm

17. Mine isn't too bad. Just takes a while for that diesel to get warm

18. Holydriver

Holydriver Active Member

They are terrible. Even if one true is in clean dry pavement, you can still be stuck on a small patch of ice. You'll sit there amazed at the :censored2:ty design as one tire stays completely motionless with perfect traction as the one on ice spins out of control. ECD everything.

19. ChicagosPrimeMinister

ChicagosPrimeMinister What rhmyes with UPS?

image.jpeg Yeah this was damn near every hour last year during peak, the newer truck never stood a chance against the snow. EC'd about 20-30 stops that day but no accidents

20. Holydriver

Holydriver Active Member

Damn, that's a bad accident to have. Thankfully none of mine have caused damage to anyone else's vehicle