Ups pcs in the snow?

rod

Retired 22 years
Best part about delivering out in the country. Most folks are pretty carefree for that kind of stuff and will pull you out. We had 4 or 5 guys get stuck this peak. All got pulled out by a farmer. Been a while since we've had to call for a tow truck.

I got pulled out many times in my career by ordinary people. I also NEVER drove on by someone who was stuck if they looked like they needed help.. I helped many a damsel in distress and guys too.

DOK

Honestly I remember once having them on for a 3 day stretch. But like I said, with a full set of chains
I never had a big problem. Especially with the old 400's. You could take those things anywhere in the snow
with a full set of chains. They were like Jeeps.

Longest I had a package on my package car was 2 weeks and 1 day, EC the whole time, that was 2 years ago.

Holydriver

Best part about delivering out in the country. Most folks are pretty carefree for that kind of stuff and will pull you out. We had 4 or 5 guys get stuck this peak. All got pulled out by a farmer. Been a while since we've had to call for a tow truck.
So what's the deal with this? If the home owner doesn't care about any damage should it still be reported or should it just be forgotten as if it didn't happen? As a supe what do you say? As drivers, what do you others say?

Future

Victory Ride
So what's the deal with this? If the home owner doesn't care about any damage should it still be reported or should it just be forgotten as if it didn't happen? As a supe what do you say? As drivers, what do you others say?
Must call it in ....no matter how small

NonDeliverOtherMissed

I'd say report it regardless. Just tell ur sup. what happened and that homeowners not claiming damage just to cover ur ass. Had a driver take out a mailbox. Driver made arraignments with the wife to fix it himself outside of work. Well, husband comes home, calls ups, driver gets fired for not reporting an accident. Got his job back but still....

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
2 things that were pcm'd to us about accidents....getting stuck and hitting a deer r both not considered accidents
That's just for right now. Trust me, it will change. The deer situation has changed at least 10 times in my district. At one time we were told to bring the carcass back and we would not be charged. That damn office stunk for weeks.

Dr.Brownz

Today I see most drivers run home because of the snow not because they don't want to drive in it but they don't want to chance getting stuck and being charged with an accident.

Our center manager told us getting stuck is not an accident this year (unless you slid way off the road or something crazy and there was damage to the trcuk). They said damaging driveways trying to get out is an accident though

I still ECD if I think I will get stuck and/or have to walk over 100 yards

Cementups

Box Monkey
That's what I was told last year when I got stuck/slid off someone's lane. I didn't get charged with an accident because there was no damage to the truck.

wayfair

swollen member
Just tell ur sup. what happened and that homeowners not claiming damage just to cover ur ass. Had a driver take out a mailbox. Driver made arraignments with the wife to fix it himself outside of work. Well, husband comes home, calls ups, driver gets fired for not reporting an accident. Got his job back but still....

driver was lucky...

ALWAYS CYA, never trust the homeowner....

DOK

That would never fly in my center.

Any EC's two days or older are pulled from the cars with phone calls made (when possible) to make alternate delivery arrangements.

It was during a stretch of insanely bad weather, it was like 2 days before valentines day when the weather started, I believe 2 years ago. The volume kept rolling in, 70 routes bringing back 30-40 stops daily. There was just too many ec's to pull off, they just kept saying do the best you can.

Bottom rung

Are you saying you would pay for a tow out of your own pocket? That's just plain stupid.
Yeah, it's stupid but when your center manager is gunning for you and you have a way to dodge his bullet. I'd bet a paycheck you'd take it. They make the rules and change them at will. You've been around long enough to know. That's not the way it is here, at least that I know of. But I wouldn't put it past my management team to try it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yeah, it's stupid but when your center manager is gunning for you and you have a way to dodge his bullet. I'd bet a paycheck you'd take it. They make the rules and change them at will. You've been around long enough to know. That's not the way it is here, at least that I know of. But I wouldn't put it past my management team to try it.

I would NEVER pay out of my own pocket to have a truck pulled out. (unless maybe I was trying to get my time in to get in the Union).