Ups pension hours

instantK

I been a cover driver for a few years now, have about 6 years on the local sort ( i still work local sort when i dont drive)
I see 1800hr is credited towards a fulll year of pension... even though i'm still part time, im going to be working 1800 hrs this year, so how does this effect my pension?
Also do I need 5 years as a full time driver to get the pension (just like how i needed to work the the local sort 5 years to get my pension)

I get $60 a month for ever year I been working.... If I work 1800hrs in a year do i get the full time pension rate?

I been a cover driver for a few years now, have about 6 years on the local sort ( i still work local sort when i dont drive)
I see 1800hr is credited towards a fulll year of pension... even though i'm still part time, im going to be working 1800 hrs this year, so how does this effect my pension?
Also do I need 5 years as a full time driver to get the pension (just like how i needed to work the the local sort 5 years to get my pension)

I get $60 a month for ever year I been working.... If I work 1800hrs in a year do i get the full time pension rate?
It depends on you local. I know some locals, cover drivers don't get pension time added until they go FT. My local doesn't have PT cover driver language. You stay a split driver until you get a bid. You have to wait five years for pension accumulation though.

newarkster

By me the part time pension is held by the company and the full time is held by the union, which makes them 2 completely different entities. And in order to be vested we need 5 years for each. I have 6 part time years that will result in a small pension, and hopefully when I turn 55 I will retire with a full, full time pension, assuming my body won't be all busted up from all the overtime we've been getting

How Now Brown Cow

I'm pretty sure this is different per local. But sadly, I think that I won't get an increase in my pension even working full time hours. This only bothers me because the amount of years that I will be working full time hours but getting part time pension. In my center it's about 12 years of service before people are going full time. I have 7.5 years in, and i'm hoping to go full time before the next contract in case there are changes made that would hurt new full timers.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

No. While this varies region by region, it typically takes a PT employee 750 hours to receive a full year of pension credit. If you're PT, then you're in the PT plan and don't receive credit for any hours worked over 750. The 1800 hour figure is for a full year of FT pension credit; any less for either results in the credit year being pro-rated accordingly. The PT pension plan and the FT pension plan are both different and both require five years of service in order to be vested.

We actually have a few high seniority PT'ers (15-20+ years) that probably won't have much of a pension waiting for them when they retire, as they typically go home 3+ days a week and there's no way they're accruing their required 750 hours per year.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Are you in the western conference??

Nitelite

No. While this varies region by region, it typically takes a PT employee 750 hours to receive a full year of pension credit. If you're PT, then you're in the PT plan and don't receive credit for any hours worked over 750. The 1800 hour figure is for a full year of FT pension credit; any less for either results in the credit year being pro-rated accordingly. The PT pension plan and the FT pension plan are both different and both require five years of service in order to be vested.

In the Northeast, it does not work like this. PT's are not capped and can earn a a full year of pension credit by working 1800 hours. The plan is the same, it just goes by how many hours you work a year regardless of being FT or PT.

RealPerson

We actually have a few high seniority PT'ers (15-20+ years) that probably won't have much of a pension waiting for them when they retire, as they typically go home 3+ days a week and there's no way they're accruing their required 750 hours per year.

Isn't there something in this new contract that counts now more time for the guys only working 3 days a week?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Isn't there something in this new contract that counts now more time for the guys only working 3 days a week?

I don't think so. There were some minor changes, but they applied to earning vesting years:

"The Pension Plan will also be amended to reduce the number of hours of service to earn a vesting year from 750 to 375. The Pension Plan will also be amended to reduce the number of hours of service required to earn a vesting year from 750 to 375. This paragraph does not change how benefit service is accrued."