UPS picked up package, never scanned, never delivered package #2 of 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I've said it before: there is such a thing as a pickup scan, and drivers should make sure everything they receive is recorded as "picked up". Usually it is as simple as scanning a pickup barcode report (and yet some won't even attempt that). I have been refunded money for an item the moment a pickup scan was made. It was a FedEx box; I left it to be picked up with a customers other ground pieces, like those who leave zappos and amazon boxes for us. Half hour later, received an email stating my package had been picked up, my money was coming.

If I pickup and scan that phone and it goes missing, I'm in no trouble, unless there is cause for suspicion or it has been already aroused. Yet, UPS can take responsibility for something that happened in their system, and no one is left hanging. The first scan for any package should not be the "origin scan"; if it is there was a failure in the system, just the customer sending/consumer waiting for the package didnt know they just dodged a bullet.

jonezy

Heya,

I used a UPS dropbox, so it's too late now to go to a counter and get a receipt. It was my mistake to use a dropbox, but the T-Mobile return instructions did suggest it and I was headed out of town so it seemed like a good option. I'm not accusing anyone of stealing (I also think there must not be much reason to steal a broken handset!), I think the package just got lost. I was wondering if there is any hope or anything I can do if I used a dropbox and the package never got scanned in from the dropbox.

jonezy

I don't really understand why my question seemed to spark such rudeness :( I didn't mean to offend, I was just googling trying to find someone who had a similar problem and some people who might have advice. The OP did respond to me in PM so I got some advice that way. Thanks everyone, sorry to bother you.

beentheredonethat

Sorry to our customer out there with problems with missing scans. While there is no one answer that applies to all missing scans. However, in many cases, I've seen a company ship out a "new" device (aka phone) and include a Return label in the box (sometimes it is the old ARS service, sometimes it is an RS label (RS = Return Service). Sometimes the customer prints out a label on a printer that needs new toner, or there is dirt on the printerhead and the bar code it creates can not be scanned. When that happens, the fallback procedure is that the UPS person (driver, inside employee etc) should type in the bar code into their device. Unfortunately we don't always do as well as we should on this.

One thing I do suggest, is see if TMobile can track based on the Serial ID of the phone itself. Often times even if UPS didn't scan it, we still delivered it to the final consignee. They may have it in their internal system. But the system that deals with customers only looks at pkgs that are scanned by UPS and not their internal systems.

Hope this helps and you folks don't lose out..

Sorry again.

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't really understand why my question seemed to spark such rudeness :( I didn't mean to offend, I was just googling trying to find someone who had a similar problem and some people who might have advice. The OP did respond to me in PM so I got some advice that way. Thanks everyone, sorry to bother you.

Who was rude????

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I was told to scan nothing but end of days now. Which kinda makes sense. It would be nicer for paper trail purposes to scan everything I suppose. But I never did understand scanning everything when a loader is just going to scan it within 12 hours. Like Saturday air...why scan them all? I'm just going to scan the pickups in the building 4 hours later when I do the air manifest. Oh well...

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If you started scanning every piece not attached to a p/u bar code, what kind of trouble would you get into? You aren't being dishonest, nor really breaking any rules. Your center manager knows what is right; he tells you differently to cover his butt (namely, yet another way to cut a corner and with it some time, but instead of safety it affects customer service). Personally, I'd continue to scan any pieces not attached to a report I can scan. How would they know? And if he was watching and confronted you, you know what is right (what's in the book to go "by the book"); in all likelihood he wouldn't make a case of it.....unless he has you tied up with something else, and is just waiting for you to give him a reason. Does he? Cause scanning pkgs we are SUPPOSED TO SCAN is not going to make you a target.

shazcx

I used to have an account with T-mobile , and on one of the lines I had an issue with the phone (Samsung galaxy s3) , requested a replacement.
The replacement was sent along with a return box and shipping label .
I followed the instructions and attached the shipping label on the box and dropped in a UPS drop box located at 2568 FRANCIS LEWIS BLVD ,FLUSHING,NY,11358.I felt that

the box got stuck and had to shake the box to ensure it drops down .This incident happened in first week of May 2013 .
However , after months of dropping the box , I get a call from T-mobile , that the shipment has not been returned . I called T-mobile , and after 5 failed attempts to

get T-Mobile to ask UPS to investigate the lost shipment , I gave up . Tmobile only opens a Handset research form , and only searches its own warehouse , never

contacts UPS . When asked if tmobile can provide me with a copy of communication between tmobile and ups , they declined .
I tried to contact UPS multiple times , and I was turned down by UPS stating that the shipping label is created by T-mobile , I am not authorized to open a claim on

that . After running round and round between T-Mobile and UPS , I had to file a complaint with BBB.
After a complain with BBB , UPS called me and said that they failed to find the box . There was no scan on the box , so no one can open any complain . However , after

a little search I have figured out that it is highly possible that is taken by the Driver , or UPS employee as the box was already marked as T-Mobile Return Shipment .

I have responded to BBB complain , and they rebutted the claim , saying this matter is closed (literally WTF ?)

Ups says there is no evidence that i have actually dropped the box.However , I do have multiple witness who i was with and the sales person working at a shipment shop

less then a block away who told me about the drop box . Unfortunately they dont accept UPS .I asked him if i could drop the package , he said they dont accept UPS , I

use this place as my regular shipping store , and he suggested me to drop the package in the drop box located in the next block .

I would also request T-Mobile , as I am sure T-Mobile keeps a record of IMIE numbers for the phone , to trace the old phone, and if it is in use , file a police

complaint as stolen . they never did that either.

The driver (I am supposing) is the only person to have the key to that drop box , therefore it must have been taken out by him .UPS Drivers are already known to be

theives

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/revie...driver-stole-my-package-20090119144338/2.html
Lost UPS Package

It is shocking to see that soo many cases of lost cell phones have occurred with exactly the same story .
I am pretty sure the driver has picked it and never scanned it . As the box was marked by T-mobile as a T-mobile Return Equipment.

sb22131

I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am currently experiencing a similar issue. I shipped an item I sold on Ebay on friday 8/22. As of today, 8/26, UPS tracking says that a label has been created but it hasn't arrived at their facility. I shipped the item from work with the other shipments from work, and I have the drivers signature on my End of Day report acknowledging he picked it up. I am worried because this is a $1000 item and because Ebay set the shipping at less than $15 I didn't raise the shipped value, so if my seller does not receive their item and it is lost my max recourse is only $100 tops. I have read some accounts of people saying they have experienced this same issue with UPS and then one day it popped up as delivered. Has anyone else experienced any other issues like this?

Z

ZQXC

3051427.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

sb, eBay does not set the shipping value---the seller does. As for the insured value, if you knew it was worth $1K, you should have insured it for $1K.

Have you tried to track any of the other packages shipped on that end of day report?

barnyard

KTM rider
This is not a UPS help line. You get help regarding UPS packages by contacting UPS via the 800# or their facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.