UPS Pilot Strike! What will you do with the extra time off?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
He also said that he almost never starts work from the gateway closest to his house, he has to jumpseat to another gateway to start his schedule and then jumpseat to the gateway closest to home to get home. He said that schedules where a pilot only flies to and from 1 gateway is very rare.
That is how it is for many pilots, and flight attendants in the passenger world. Very few actually live near the base the operate from. Look up crash pads, very common for a group of pilots to lease a house/apartment that is literally just a bunk house they use when the commute to/from work. Airlines do this because scheduling would be a nightmare otherwise. Have 10 pilots start a trip in Minneapolis, 20 in Boson, and 40 in Miami.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Damn! $661 an hour!!!! I should have learned to fly!
I went to school for aviation, it takes a long long time to get to that point and the overwhelming majority of pilots never get near a taste of that kind of money. My first 5-10 years in the airline industry I would have taken a pay CUT going from being a PT Sup to an airline pilot. That's with close to 100k in debt.

UPS pilots are the cream of the crop. The nice part of paying that much is you can pick the best.

I went to school for aviation, it takes a long long time to get to that point and the overwhelming majority of pilots never get near a taste of that kind of money. My first 5-10 years in the airline industry I would have taken a pay CUT going from being a PT Sup to an airline pilot. That's with close to 100k in debt.

UPS pilots are the cream of the crop. The nice part of paying that much is you can pick the best.
Is that why you are a janitor?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Also lets not forget the fact they have to fly with lithium ion batteries on board.... Which are known to cause dies ala the ups plane that went down in the Middle East. They should get paid top of industry as regular pilots don't have to worry about that in the passenger planes
Lithium Ion batteries power new airliners such as the 787. They will be carried again by US carriers once they are better understood, new regulations are expected in 2018 that will permit them. They aren't actually banned by the FAA, most of the bans are set by the airlines.

MAKAVELI

I'm telling you man, the money is atrocious. When I was getting close to graduation I started interviewing with regional airlines and it was just disgusting how much they wanted to pay. And these are union jobs.
You gotta be willing to put the time in if you want to make it a career and the big $. No way around that. Its the same with FedEx pilots.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You gotta be willing to put the time in if you want to make it a career and the big $. No way around that. Its the same with FedEx pilots.
Without a doubt. But I couldn't live on that with my loan payments. And being an airline you don't really have the option of a second job since your schedule can be so unpredictable.

MAKAVELI

Without a doubt. But I couldn't live on that with my loan payments. And being an airline you don't really have the option of a second job since your schedule can be so unpredictable.
True. I would guess most who are starting out would either be living with family or a studio apt and bologna sandwiches.

L

Little Brownie Girl

After 4 years in the Marines, my friend recertified civilian up the ranks, and worked hard to get left seat .he started turbo prop with over 1500 hours and working as a CFI to build time,,, he had to drive from north of San Diego to LAX and drive back after doing his circuits. He finally got left seat in advanced type aircraft and the airlines merged and laid him off...after 15 years

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Would probably still make more than a fresh airline pilot.
ScreenHunter_14 Apr. 20 20.55.jpg

ScreenHunter_15 Apr. 20 20.55.jpg

ScreenHunter_16 Apr. 20 20.55.jpg

Might have been worth the wait

Faceplanted

Lithium Ion batteries power new airliners such as the 787. They will be carried again by US carriers once they are better understood, new regulations are expected in 2018 that will permit them. They aren't actually banned by the FAA, most of the bans are set by the airlines.
787 batteries Have already caught fire... Numerous cases.

These are batteries designed and tested by Boeing.... I'm sorry but that's a huge difference from Chinese made less quality controlled batteries that are what are usually shipped using cargo planes......

I have a very close friend who has trained with turbo props over seas to get his hours, he tried to get accepted into a big us airline training problem but the cpl offers he got were a joke.

I'm looking forward to an explority flight in the real near future, I would love to get my pilot license just to have, I Love everything about aviation, but it's damn expensive.

And lol at ups still using md11. I got to hang out in the cock pit of one in the good old days on an over seas flight to Europe... What an experience

That 81 hour guarantee is a lot more than the 30 ups says

Last edited:

Holydriver

It definitely takes a very long time to get to that point, but if you finished and got on with a small airline you could have eventually made it to this point. You obviously wouldn't be there for a few decades, but wow thatd be nice if you could. But let me tell you, driving a PC in the snow is scary, I cannot even fathom the butterflies in their bellies when they fly in certain weather. Airline pilots have some big balls in my opinion

Returntosender

If you were a instructor on the side, you would be able to get your required hours?

The CIA looking for Drone pilots?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
U do know pilots fly more than one flight a day right? Like

Louisville to philly, plane gets unloaded...re loaded, philly to Louisville, than the same thing for another trip or 2 depending on flight time and hours ect. Every time they land they have to re do the check lists. Takes time

There are also chaser planes in case of overflow who are ready to go sitting on the Tarmac.

6 hours flight time can very easially be 10 hours on the clock

That pilots that crashed in Birmingham crashed due to fatigue. Im pretty sure he was on the clock for a bunch of hours, more than passenger pilots are allowed to fly... That would be a huge issue for me if i was a ups pilot and had a family

OMG, I've been outgunned by an obvious "Aviator"..... Ha Ha Ha.

Carry on!