Ups pilots strike authorization

10 point

We for sure aren't the biggest air cargo company in the US. FedEx runs circles around us and that's why they get more.
Not totally true.
The bulk of their deliveries were based on premium services from inception and until UPS got into their pocket they pretty much ran the show in profitability.

They always paid more because they could afford to.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
FedEx and UPS pilots hourly pay is comparable with the exception of the first year. They do however have 1750 more pilots than UPS.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/united_parcel_service

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/fedex_express

These links are saying top pay for a 15 year UPS Captain is $262K compared to FedEx at $261K. Some cargo pilots make more than their counterparts in the passenger field. I work near the Atlanta Airport and I have a lot of Delta pilots that live on my area. Quite a few of them have mentioned to me that they would like to fly for us. Pilots don't work normal shifts like most people. They often might make 4-6 flights during a 24 hour shift.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Starting out, a pilot will make less than us the first few years. It takes a few year of progression to hit the big money.

Ring Sport

One of our drivers claims he makes more than his brother who is a commercial passenger pilot.

Ask him how many days a month his brother works, and where he is in wage progression. I will bet his brother hasn't reached top rate. This website will give you specifics on hourly wages. He may make more than his brother, but I guarantee he works a lot more hours.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Starting out, a pilot will make less than us the first few years. It takes a few year of progression to hit the big money.
that just doesnt sound right. a feeder driver can be trained in 2 weeks. we have drivers making 125k a years and 150k a years total with bennies etc.

a pilot should make about 300k a year in comparison.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I was growing up I had a Delta pilot for a neighbor. He would work two 24 hour days a week and have to sit around in his uniform another day on call. They don't just fly to one city and come back, they often fly a big loop around the country. It takes a long time to bid on a retirement run. Another one I know will just fly from Atlanta to San Juan and back.

The last contract our pilots got took several years of negotiation after the other one expired.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's the feeder drivers fault. If the trailers would get to the hubs earlier, the PC's could be loaded sooner.

Or something like that....
We don't have an air feeder. Comes in a small feeder aircraft from a gateway. Our Feeder drivers are fantastic.
Then take some $ from the supervision and give it to the pilots who put their lives on the line moving air freight.
Lives on the line? I hold a commercial multi engine pilot's certificate and I'm type rated on the Canadair Regional Jet. Flying is incredibly safe. You have a higher risk of bodily injury in a package car than a pilot does in an aircraft by a massive margin. The reason people think flying is unsafe is because it's not 1 or 2 people that die in a crash, it's 150.
Quite a few of them have mentioned to me that they would like to fly for us. Pilots don't work normal shifts like most people. They often might make 4-6 flights during a 24 hour shift.
Cargo is a dream for most pilots. No annoying passengers. Average 2 flights a day to airports that are completely dead because of the times. It's fantastic.
One of our drivers claims he makes more than his brother who is a commercial passenger pilot.
Some drivers at my center look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them my schooling and the aircraft licenses I hold, yet I took a job in management. I would take a pay cut going from being a PT Sup to a FT regional jet pilot. Can't really do that with the debt required to learn how to fly.
that just doesnt sound right. a feeder driver can be trained in 2 weeks. we have drivers making 125k a years and 150k a years total with bennies etc.

a pilot should make about 300k a year in comparison.
Running an airline is extremely cost intensive. The average American Airlines flight only makes something like $124 profit. Those regional jets usually don't make any money.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I have lived next door to a commercial airline pilot for about 15 years. He is home more than he is gone, and he pulls down some serious money doing it. These guys (ups pilots) honored our picket lines when we struck, and I believe it made a big difference in us only being out 11 days. They have worked without a contract for way too long. Yeah, I can only imagine their retro checks. Probably enough to buy an average house. UPS has to at least believe they are serious about their demands. It's time, Big Brown, pay these guys!

10 point

We don't have an air feeder. Comes in a small feeder aircraft from a gateway. Our Feeder drivers are fantastic.

Lives on the line? I hold a commercial multi engine pilot's certificate and I'm type rated on the Canadair Regional Jet. Flying is incredibly safe. You have a higher risk of bodily injury in a package car than a pilot does in an aircraft by a massive margin. The reason people think flying is unsafe is because it's not 1 or 2 people that die in a crash, it's 150.

Cargo is a dream for most pilots. No annoying passengers. Average 2 flights a day to airports that are completely dead because of the times. It's fantastic.

Some drivers at my center look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them my schooling and the aircraft licenses I hold, yet I took a job in management. I would take a pay cut going from being a PT Sup to a FT regional jet pilot. Can't really do that with the debt required to learn how to fly.

Running an airline is extremely cost intensive. The average American Airlines flight only makes something like $124 profit. Those regional jets usually don't make any money.
I was talking about terrorism, hidden or undeclared ORMD's (Valujet) and did we not ground jets in Dubai ...or in that area... due to alleged explosives?

I have a brother with multiple engine rating and my Dad's a pilot. I'm not ignorant to the trade.

RealPerson

I have lived next door to a commercial airline pilot for about 15 years. He is home more than he is gone, and he pulls down some serious money doing it. These guys (ups pilots) honored our picket lines when we struck, and I believe it made a big difference in us only being out 11 days. They have worked without a contract for way too long. Yeah, I can only imagine their retro checks. Probably enough to buy an average house. UPS has to at least believe they are serious about their demands. It's time, Big Brown, pay these guys!

Exactly, I have always heard it was the lack of Pilots hours, because they honored our strike lines, that made UPS give in... anyway...