UPS Pkg Div Feeder Driver vs UPS Freight Feeder Driver...

MaceFremonti

Couple of Freight Division feeder drivers as well as a few Fed Ex feeder drivers all do drop and swaps at my turnaround. All the Fed Ex guys are friendly and talkative. The UPS Freight guys are NOT!

You can say "Good morning!" or "How are you?" and they just give you the cold shoulder.??!!

This morning one of the Freight guys jumped the pin on the trailer he was hooking up to and was having a hell of a time trying to get his tractor back out from underneath the trailer. He had the trailer gear all the way down but the pin wouldnt go back over the fifth when he tried to pull out.

There was a block of wood in my tractor (most likely for this exact purpose) so I grabbed it and walked over to see if we could wedge it under the backside of his fifth wheel so that the pin could slide back over it instead of catching on the front lip.

He DID NOT want my help! His exact words were "I got this. I don't need any help...especially from one of YOU GUYS!"

I really didn't know what to make of it so I just said OK and went back to my tractor....he was still struggling with it when I left.:eek:

I guess they just don't like us!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Couple of Freight Division feeder drivers as well as a few Fed Ex feeder drivers all do drop and swaps at my turnaround. All the Fed Ex guys are friendly and talkative. The UPS Freight guys are NOT!

You can say "Good morning!" or "How are you?" and they just give you the cold shoulder.??!!

This morning one of the Freight guys jumped the pin on the trailer he was hooking up to and was having a hell of a time trying to get his tractor back out from underneath the trailer. He had the trailer gear all the way down but the pin wouldnt go back over the fifth when he tried to pull out.

There was a block of wood in my tractor (most likely for this exact purpose) so I grabbed it and walked over to see if we could wedge it under the backside of his fifth wheel so that the pin could slide back over it instead of catching on the front lip.

He DID NOT want my help! His exact words were "I got this. I don't need any help...especially from one of YOU GUYS!"

I really didn't know what to make of it so I just said OK and went back to my tractor....he was still struggling with it when I left.:eek:

Feeder Drivers are up there with Scott Davis in likability.

Nothing personal ... just saying.

​I'm sure you are a nice guy outside work.

Cementups

Box Monkey
A lot that I run into have this crappy attitude that you speak of. The ones that actually spill the beans reveal that they feel they should get the same pay we do as UPS drivers, even though they already got a sizable increase over what they were making already. And then there are a few that hate the idea of having had to become Teamsters. The one guy that told me that I responded by saying, "Yeah, how awful. Job security, more pay and full benefits. You're right, that sucks." He turned around saying "FU" to me as he walked back to his truck. Most of them have a chip on their shoulder. I have exchanges with several drivers from several different companies on my route and by far UPS-friend is THE WORST.

A

anonymous6

just having a bad day. you can't judge a whole group by one person. I have found that most truck drivers are the best most helpful people in the world.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah I haven't had much luck talking to freight drivers. I really do believe it is because they feel they should make as much as regular ups drivers. They will be bitter for a long while. Ain't gonna happen.

The ups freight guy on my route is cool as hell. Everytime we pass each others we stick our tongue out and flick it at each other with it between our pointer finger and middle finger.

MethodsMan

Yeah I haven't had much luck talking to freight drivers. I really do believe it is because they feel they should make as much as regular ups drivers. They will be bitter for a long while. Ain't gonna happen.

Bingo. They don't make as much and can't realistically retire until their damn near 70. Its just sour grapes.

The freight guy I see every once a yonder is always cordial with me though.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A lot of it has to do with the fact.... some of them still think they had it better with Overnite.

Some didn't want to be Union.... but it has more to do with being told how to do things, the "UPS" way. They resent it.

-Bug-

Mace, just try and be the bigger person. It's all you can do. Ass-holes come in every uniform. Offer your help but if they shine you off leave them to their own misery.
If they want to hate us for what we have I always point out the door was open for them also when it was time to put in the application.

For that skipped pin, if the tractor is straight and/or you have room to the sides to move then crank the legs up just enough so the trl can roll and carefully pull it to where you can maneuver. Pull the cord and hoses off and then pull forward and back while gradually turning the wheel and you can eventually get the kingpin to come around the edge of the fifth wheel until you can slide out. Stop before you drop the trl and put legs all the way down and then drop it. Not easy or perfect but it will teach you to check your trl height in the future.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
A lot of it has to do with the fact.... some of them still think they had it better with Overnite.

Some didn't want to be Union.... but it has more to do with being told how to do things, the "UPS" way. They resent it.

-Bug-

Exactly.

The UPS way.

At times, I feel that a mistake was made when they joined the union.
All those jobs should been bid out and open to small package employees waiting and qualified to drive TT and ST trucks,
Have a few guys spend time in a package car and the word would be out...appreciate what you have.