UPS Plane Crash

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was listening to a news report of the event and the guy says this is the 6th crash in recent history.......but you'd have to go a long way back to find all 6.
Does he even know what "recent" means..........??

The Airbus A300 has been involved in about 10 crashes, the latest occurring last November, when the front landing gear on DHL-owned jet collapsed on landing in Bratislava, Slovakia. The model has been in service since 1974.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The Airbus A300 has been involved in about 10 crashes, the latest occurring last November, when the front landing gear on DHL-owned jet collapsed on landing in Bratislava, Slovakia. The model has been in service since 1974.
The guy was talking only about UPS crashes (I thought)....maybe I heard it wrong........it was the white noise in the room.

Hubby and I were talking at lunch that these guys were just going about their jobs and now they are gone. They said goodbye to the wife & kids (if they had any)
Probably said...."see you later, Love you"

You just never know, so you better show the ones you love.....that you love them.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Such a tragic accident. Obviously it will be a while before we all know the cause, but harkening back to the '10 crash of Flight 6 in the UAE that was caused by Lithium batteries, this should serve as a stark reminder to take a few extra seconds everyday and know what it is that you're picking up from your customers. You never know if something you picked up could end up on one of our planes that doesn't belong there.

Last edited by a moderator:

TxRoadDawg

not to make light of this but perhaps now those morning center manager calls may discuss safety a bit more than the 30 sec no crash no injury, 45 minutes why blah didnt make a production number. as for the crash rip fellows hope it was quick and painless

Pacman

The crash scene shows the cockpit and a small part of the fuselage quite a distance from the rest of the aircraft that was on fire. I wonder if the pilots succumbed to smoke before the aircraft went down because the cockpit is not in bad shape and shows no fire damage I can see. I have seen pilots walk away from similar accidents when the cockpit stayed pretty well intact.

Random_Facts

It's tragic to hear what happened, god bless the family of those two pilots, RIP those two UPS co-workers, and hope the family can find healing in the future.

The crash scene shows the cockpit and a small part of the fuselage quite a distance from the rest of the aircraft that was on fire. I wonder if the pilots succumbed to smoke before the aircraft went down because the cockpit is not in bad shape and shows no fire damage I can see. I have seen pilots walk away from similar accidents when the cockpit stayed pretty well intact.

Reports say they lost 9000ft of altitude in 2 minutes just before the crash. That's huge. The photos show the cockpit largely intact so they didn't nose in. I suspect they made an attempt to pull out of that steep altitude loss or tried to regain level flight and hit tail or belly first. That would be a high G hit some possible they were killed simply from the high G's/blunt trauma. The human body isn't made for that.

When the boxes are examined we'll know for sure.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Reports say they lost 9000ft of altitude in 2 minutes just before the crash. That's huge. The photos show the cockpit largely intact so they didn't nose in. I suspect they made an attempt to pull out of that steep altitude loss or tried to regain level flight and hit tail or belly first. That would be a high G hit some possible they were killed simply from the high G's/blunt trauma. The human body isn't made for that.

When the boxes are examined we'll know for sure.

That is a very large loss of altitude in a short period of time. They were also lined-up for landing on the "short" strip (for small aircraft) at BHM indicating they were just trying to get it on the ground ASAP. Eyewitnesses reported the aircraft was on-fire before hitting the ground and that the engines were "cutting out", which definitely sounds abnormal.

The black boxes will provide a definitive answer to this tragic accident.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This is one of those situations when we all should stop and think about the loss to our family.

kingOFchester

I spent a large part of the day thinking about the tragic accident. As far and removed pilots are from my seat in the truck, you just can't help to think about how life can change in an instant.

My thoughts are with the families left behind.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Many of us, UPSers, felt a drop kick to our gut while our eyes welled with tears as we scoured the internet to prove this a hoax.

Prayers, in memory for the lost and prayers for all of us.

As we learn of the loss, like falling dominos, may our silent prayers guide our pilots as their souls soar on angel’s wings on this final flight.
We offer comfort to those left behind, family and friends.

Let us not forget those UPSers, affected immediately...
Prayers to UPSCO BHM, those waiting to wing walk this flying machine to the platform loader...
...instead, picking up wheel chocks with huge a feeling of empty inside.
Prayers to the TT drivers, waiting for their ritual turn at the loader, the word slowly spreads as coffee cools and a single hand rises, shielding eyes as if it provided a better view of smoke on the horizon.
Prayers to all of us, once again reminders that today is precious and tomorrow my never come…

Last edited:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I spent a large part of the day thinking about the tragic accident. As far and removed pilots are from my seat in the truck, you just can't help to think about how life can change in an instant.

My thoughts are with the families left behind.

My day was also spent in deep reflection ...

overflowed

I don't even work for ups but this is tragic. I'm sorry you guys lost some co workers. RIP to a few people just doing there jobs. I will pray for their families.