UPS Propaganda--Read the fine print!

UPStress

Did anyone else notice the following statement printed on the pension plan info sheet (Years of Service Pension Credit chart) that UPS mailed last week?
"UPS and the IBT trustees reserve the right to amend or discontinue any employee benefits or plans at any time for any reason".
That's ANY time for ANY reason.
VOTE NO

News to me , scan that bad boy and post it ,if it really exists. I'm from Missouri and you have to show me!!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This "fine print" as you called it is always written somewhere on all types of such documents, it means nothing. It is just a type of disclaimer that prevents some lawyer from getting rich in the future. This plan if approved is more secure than Central States is and is still protected under the Taft-Hartley Act. I think the Pension amounts should be higher though, a hundred bucks for every year of credit under the service plan is too low and not keeping up with inflation.

Cole

"UPS and the IBT trustees reserve the right to amend or discontinue any employee benefits or plans at any time for any reason".

I'll scan it later myself and post it here, and that is what it says, the author of this thread did not exagerate anything. That fine print is specific, and very dangerous.

rod

Retired 22 years
I believe that little tidbit of infromation has been part of every pension agreement with the IBT. I remember being told nothing was "carved in granite" when it comes to pensions years ago when I was at a Teamster meeting. You know what they say about death and taxes being the only sure things. I hate it when I go to the mailbox and theres a big envelope from the Teamsters in it. I always figure- well it's been nice while it lasted.

tieguy

Banned
Did anyone else notice the following statement printed on the pension plan info sheet (Years of Service Pension Credit chart) that UPS mailed last week?
That's ANY time for ANY reason.
VOTE NO

I love contract time. Here we have a urinal barrister who has discovered some fine print on one of the many documents he recieved. He now believes he is the only one of two hundred thousand teamsters to discover the fine print. He quickly rushes off to the brown cafe to register and warn the world of our impending doom. To ensure reliable communication he further enhances his message with large red font. you guys keep getting on me for being mean when the truth is this guy is beating himself silly with my fist.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had our Contract Meeting yesterday and this was brought up. It doesn't mean crap. And one of our BAs who was on the Negotiating Committee was present and said the same thing. UPStress, you are reading way too much in this, there is more troubling language in the contract itself, not the back cover.

Cole

If voted in that language in fine print is binding, no matter who says it isn't. If it was meaningless it wouldn't be there.

Our ba initially said any changes would have to be voted on.

Dump and Run

For those of you that don't believe Scratch call some of your local lawyers and ask them if said language is in all contracts somewhere. Scared to hear that it is true and some are making a big deal out of nothing?

J

JonFrum

. . .He now believes he is the only one of two hundred thousand teamsters to discover the fine print. . .

Actually, Tie, he is doing the rest of us a service. Those of us not in Central States didn't get the details of the new pension plan. We only got what little is in the National Master. We're voting on it, but we don't know what we're voting on! Maybe someone could scan and post whatever mailings you folks are getting?

- - - - -
Incidently, the Contract says, "There shall be no reduction or change in the level of benefits described herein unless negotiated and agreed to by the Union." This means everything else is subject to change by vote of the Trustees. Trustees can do just about anything, so long as it's legal. Trustees run the Fund. It's true that the fine print disclaimer is in every legal document, but it's there for a reason. The parties may have no current plans to invoke it now, but wait until a few years from now. Things may change. It's like asking newlyweds about their legal right to divorce. They'll be hurt and insulted that you even brought it up. But wait a few years. Things may change.

I"m not making any dire predictions here. Just shocked at the attitudes I'm reading. Haven't you all been paying attention to all the drastic Trustee actions taken in all the existing pension plans in recent years?

sawdusttv

We had our Contract Meeting yesterday and this was brought up. It doesn't mean crap. And one of our BAs who was on the Negotiating Committee was present and said the same thing. UPStress, you are reading way too much in this, there is more troubling language in the contract itself, not the back cover.

I agree with you on the concept that it doesn't mean crap. But when ever I hear a management person or teamster official make a statement like that, I always ask them to give it to me in writing. All I have to this date is a bunch of blank paper.

UPStress

I'll scan it later myself and post it here, and that is what it says, the author of this thread did not exagerate anything. That fine print is specific, and very dangerous.
[/quote]
Please do that for me Cole. Thanks.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPStress, there is no dispute that this is written at the bottom back page of every thing that was mailed to us. The problem is that a lot of you just don't understand that this is a standard disclaimer found on all types of documents. What you are calling "fine print" is not meant to trick anybody.

The entire last paragraph of the mailing I am looking at says this:
"The official Plan document for the UPS/IBT Full Time Employee Pension Plan will control in the event of any differences between the Plan documents and the benefits described in this brochure. Although UPS and the IBT intend to maintain the Plan indefinitely, UPS and IBT trustees reserve the right to amend or discontinue any employee benefits at any time for any reason."

In layman's terms, this means that what you are reading is only an early proposal that is still not ratified. UPS and the Teamsters have to vote to change or discontinue anything. A disclaimer like this is to prevent future lawsuits, not to rip off anybody. It clearly states that the intent is to keep this plan indefinitely. What is so hard to understand about that?

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
Amazing all these people getting stuff in the mail, yes i got my ballot very early but i didnt receive anything from UPS or the Teamsters yet on propaganda.

Ive heard of people getting dvd's, newsletters, etc.... i havent gotten anything yet! guess they realize how I voted already!! :biggrin:

team player

My BA told me he recieved a letter today stating that Maloney from UPS and the IBT negotiating committee have the authority to make changes to the New Pension plan. How is this possible? I thought only trustees could do this if it is in fact a Taft Hartley plan. He sent a copy of the letter to our steward to be posted on the bulletin board

Braveheart

That is correct, the company or union just "can't change things" regarding the new pension plan without a vote.
I do not remember us getting a chance to vote on the pension cuts and health care increases for our out of pocket last time??????

OH YEAH, THATS RIGHT WE DID NOT VOTE ON IT DID WE!!!!!!!!

J

JonFrum

UPStress, there is no dispute that this is written at the bottom back page of every thing that was mailed to us. The problem is that a lot of you just don't understand that this is a standard disclaimer found on all types of documents. What you are calling "fine print" is not meant to trick anybody.

The entire last paragraph of the mailing I am looking at says this:
"The official Plan document for the UPS/IBT Full Time Employee Pension Plan will control in the event of any differences between the Plan documents and the benefits described in this brochure. Although UPS and the IBT intend to maintain the Plan indefinitely, UPS and IBT trustees reserve the right to amend or discontinue any employee benefits at any time for any reason."

In layman's terms, this means that what you are reading is only an early proposal that is still not ratified. UPS and the Teamsters have to vote to change or discontinue anything. A disclaimer like this is to prevent future lawsuits, not to rip off anybody. It clearly states that the intent is to keep this plan indefinitely. What is so hard to understand about that?

O. I. C. The intent is to maintain the plan indefinitely. Kinda like the Thrift Plan. And Overseas Partners Ltd (OPL).