UPS Rates compared to USPS

Scuba Steve

No wonder Amazon uses USPS and Sure Post is so popular.

I've always used UPS for shipping. I go today to the UPS Store to ship a Next Day Air Letter for Monday end of day delivery. Normally I ship packages. The letter is to a commercial address. UPS store tells me is $80 and change.... It was a little over the 8oz minimum they said along with a rural surcharge... I told them forget it.

I go to the post office send it Priority Express for Monday delivery. $22 to ship... $60 dollar difference for the same service...

I think I need to dump my UPS Stock... With FDX investing in infrastructure to beat ground transit times of UPS, you guys are going to be in trouble. When Fred retires, they will be shipping Express through Ground like UPS to increase profit. With FDX reduced labor costs to UPS, you will be in trouble in a few years. Combine that with more shippers using USPS and USPS purchasing larger LLV's (package cars), things will be different with UPS in a few years. The UPS store was empty when I went there. The Post office had a line with people sending packages. The Post office is going after corporate accounts and volume shippers more than ever (Amazon).

Good luck.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I call BS. I used to work at a ups store and I know the general rates. A NDAS envelope to a commercial address should cost no more than $35. Unless of course it's international or to Hawii or Alaska...

brownstreak86

For one thing, UPS Stores jack up the prices significantly over what you can pay online through UPS.com or at one of our package centers. UPS is a corporation that makes money. Last time I checked the Postal Service was losing money. Although you may pay less at USPS, we are all paying with tax dollars.
I worked for USPS as a carrier from January-May of 2015 before I quit to do construction. I delivered more junk mail and bills than anything. A lot of days were extremely light, yet they run the same exact route every single day. This means most of the guys would kill hours a day doing nothing!
UPS makes money by changing routes to make sure that we have more than enough work to supply an 8+ hour day every single day...
At any rate, you are paying for it one way or another... The Post Office is just another government funded program that will eventually die off.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
No wonder Amazon uses USPS and Sure Post is so popular.

I've always used UPS for shipping. I go today to the UPS Store to ship a Next Day Air Letter for Monday end of day delivery. Normally I ship packages. The letter is to a commercial address. UPS store tells me is $80 and change.... It was a little over the 8oz minimum they said along with a rural surcharge... I told them forget it.

I go to the post office send it Priority Express for Monday delivery. $22 to ship... $60 dollar difference for the same service...

I think I need to dump my UPS Stock... With FDX investing in infrastructure to beat ground transit times of UPS, you guys are going to be in trouble. When Fred retires, they will be shipping Express through Ground like UPS to increase profit. With FDX reduced labor costs to UPS, you will be in trouble in a few years. Combine that with more shippers using USPS and USPS purchasing larger LLV's (package cars), things will be different with UPS in a few years. The UPS store was empty when I went there. The Post office had a line with people sending packages. The Post office is going after corporate accounts and volume shippers more than ever (Amazon).

Good luck.

Thanks Steve always awsome to have you on here with your cheerful outlook on UPS. How have you been Steve.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
What you would prefer I do really does not interest me
image.jpeg

NonDeliverOtherMissed

For one thing, UPS Stores jack up the prices significantly over what you can pay online through UPS.com or at one of our package centers. UPS is a corporation that makes money. Last time I checked the Postal Service was losing money. Although you may pay less at USPS, we are all paying with tax dollars.
I worked for USPS as a carrier from January-May of 2015 before I quit to do construction. I delivered more junk mail and bills than anything. A lot of days were extremely light, yet they run the same exact route every single day. This means most of the guys would kill hours a day doing nothing!
UPS makes money by changing routes to make sure that we have more than enough work to supply an 8+ hour day every single day...
At any rate, you are paying for it one way or another... The Post Office is just another government funded program that will eventually die off.
Whether it's junk mail or not, a lot of mail or a little mail...the mailmen still have to go to every single house every day....people get mail every single day.(ok maybe twice a month some houses don't have any but u get my point)...it's not like ups where we are heavy or light on stops and they can cut routes... Maybe a little but maybe not, maybe sometimes but not that often, get what I'm sayin even if a little bit, or do u understand a lot what I'm saying, I'll wait for ur response if it's in a little if it's later then I'll wait a little bit

Star B

White Lightening
Are you sure they didn't quote you 1DA AM? That sounds like an 80 dollar product.. cuz that's about our cost for a FO envelope.

Scuba Steve

I call BS. I used to work at a ups store and I know the general rates. A NDAS envelope to a commercial address should cost no more than $35. Unless of course it's international or to Hawii or Alaska...

Call BS... 14oz of paper in a NDA letter. Limit is 8oz so an up charge. Claiming rural zip code so again another Upcharge. Trust me I thought it was BS too so that's why I canceled it and went to the Post Office.

Scuba Steve

Are you sure they didn't quote you 1DA AM? That sounds like an 80 dollar product.. cuz that's about our cost for a FO envelope.

I'm positive. At first I thought they quoted Early AM Saturday delivery when they gave me the cost.

I didn't realize that UPS discontinued as much as can fit into a NDA letter. It was 14 oz of paper. So there was an upcharge for being over 8 oz. Then another surcharge for them claiming it was rural to a business. I verified that it was delivery by end of business. Not Early Am. It was a $58. difference from NDA to Priority Express delivery by Monday a 3.