UPS Rates compared to USPS

raceanoncr

Just, what might be considered a stupid question, what is the savings to go Surepost for a shipper? And, I really don't care, here, I didn't need package NOW, and didn't care how it came. Example:

Ordered sumthin cross country. They shipped same day, via UPS Surpost. OK, again, I don't care. Didn't need. Traveled on all UPS points to hub, here. Sat here all weekend and Mon, it was driven across river to P.O. that delivers to my shack. Then was delivered next day by P.O.

I tracked from origin to destination. UPS handled EVERYTHING except final delivery. Tell me, please, because I REALLY don't know. How much did this save the shipper, generally, in a situation like this, when the package car is driving right past house about two times a day and whatever driver had to drive clear into downtown P.O. just to deliver and P.O. then had to drive out to my house.

Again, you can get all snarky here but I'm telling you, this Surepost erupted after I retired and I know nothing about it. And, again, I really don't care, am just curious. Is this REALLY a savings to shipper? Or customer, for that reason, too?

worldwide

What about parking tickets?

The USPS does not pay parking tickets which is a savings of millions of dollars per year that all of their competitors (i.e. FedEx and UPS) pay.

Postal Service's big delivery edge: no parking tickets

FedEx was paying almost $2 million per quarter to the city of New York in 2013, according to Crain's. That's almost $8 million a year in just one city, enough to cover about two-thirds of the pay package for CEO Fred S and enough to pay Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe 18 times over.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Just, what might be considered a stupid question, what is the savings to go Surepost for a shipper? And, I really don't care, here, I didn't need package NOW, and didn't care how it came. Example:

Ordered sumthin cross country. They shipped same day, via UPS Surpost. OK, again, I don't care. Didn't need. Traveled on all UPS points to hub, here. Sat here all weekend and Mon, it was driven across river to P.O. that delivers to my shack. Then was delivered next day by P.O.

I tracked from origin to destination. UPS handled EVERYTHING except final delivery. Tell me, please, because I REALLY don't know. How much did this save the shipper, generally, in a situation like this, when the package car is driving right past house about two times a day and whatever driver had to drive clear into downtown P.O. just to deliver and P.O. then had to drive out to my house.

Again, you can get all snarky here but I'm telling you, this Surepost erupted after I retired and I know nothing about it. And, again, I really don't care, am just curious. Is this REALLY a savings to shipper? Or customer, for that reason, too?

Don't know what the shipper saves but to have UPS deliver a surpost instead of post office if the customer request it is about $4.00

Holydriver

I don't know, but it sure is nice having sure post deliveries to apartment buildings

HollandMan73

i ship a lot of stuff, sell a lot of things on ebay etc... UPS is almost always the most expensive between USPS and fedex, even with our sweet 8% discount (i think my ebay/paypal seller discount is bigger). lighter items usps is pretty much always cheapest, they get more expensive with heavier items. UPS seems to be cheapest for heavier pieces (go figure)

I ship about 1,000 packages a year from selling on Ebay also.....USPS for the smalls is usually always cheaper.....I ship anything else UPS....sometimes it would be a little cheaper using Fed-ex depending on the lane but I just can't do it being a feeder driver and all.......Fed-Ex totally owns UPS on Ebay though......Fedex just makes it easier to use their service via Ebay.....I don't believe UPS is even an option on the Ebay site unless you go through Paypal.