UPS relies heavily on railroads to keep Chicago Area Consolidation Hub on schedule

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS relies heavily on railroads to keep the giant Chicago Area Consolidation Hub on schedule - Progressive Railroading

Some facts about the CACH (pronounced "catch") are just as impressive as its size:

1,300 docks for loading and unloading trailers and containers;
80 acres of paved areas with staging space for more than 4,000 trailers;
a dizzying array of conveyor belts and rollers that would stretch 65 miles if laid end to end;
a NASA-like control room that manages 80,000 separate systems to control the flow of packages, each of which needs only about 10 minutes to travel from an inbound door to an outbound door via mostly automated handling equipment; and
a staff of 5,700 employees and 100 mechanics.

On a typical day, the hub sorts, consolidates and distributes 1.3 million to 1.5 million packages. During the peak season — from late September through the holidays — the CACH processes 2.5 million to 2.7 million packages daily and employs as many as 6,300 people.

The coordination, communication and collaboration required between UPS and the railroads to meet CACH's stringent rail needs is akin to a ballet, says Ken Buenker, vice president of UPS' corporate transportation services, who is responsible for rail transport company-wide.

Re: UPS relies heavily on railroads to keep Chicago Area Consolidation Hub on schedul

They forgot the 378 awesome drivers that move the trailers. It doesn't happen by magic.

Re: UPS relies heavily on railroads to keep Chicago Area Consolidation Hub on schedul

And it's 1258 bays. They own the place so you'd think they could count.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Thank you for this Cheryl!

I am an avid rail enthusiast; my dad and I often go to locations trackside to watch trains blow by, even in other cities. In fact, we have visited the line that serves CACH in Willow Springs, although we didn't see much that day in terms of rail traffic.

I've been a railfan since a very young age, long before I had even heard of UPS. However, my dad's and my favorites trains are the intermodal trains mentioned in the article, especially UPS trains because they are considered "hot" and thus are often seen going very fast (whatever the speed limit on the section of track it is on), with other rail traffic being shooed out of their way. Sometimes when one of these blows by going at a track speed of 60-70mph, I feel like my life has come full circle as I watch the gray trailers emblazoned with the gold and brown shield-now joined by an ever-growing number of cream-colored containers, their UPS ownership only hinted at by the "UPSU" reporting marks on the sides and the rear doors-ushering packages that probably include some I just picked up several hours befor (we love going train-watching on Friday nights and days before major holidays, when traffic picks up as railroads rush to get most of their crews home).

I don't just get sales leads for the points; I also do so so that i may perhaps entertain myself later on!

I am going to foward this link to my dad, who will find it a good read. In fact, it'll probably inspire him to launch train-simulator program he just got for his anniversary so that he can control a UPS hotshot himself!

Thanks again, Cheryl!

Last edited: