UPS RLA Facts

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wrong. Those categories have always been low. No matter how much you get paid, you would always hit that category hard. You say we don't make a fair wage, but UPS does. I'll wager that most UPS drivers will say they don't make a fair wage. The only other category I recall getting hit hard (which always does anyway) is the one that asks if rules hinder the way you do your job (I forgot the exact wording).

Very low, as in lower than ever. Overall, very little satisfaction with the job, and little confidence in upper management.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Today in my area they actually showed some sense and shut us down. I was shocked, can't remember ever having shut down for anything.

I've only seen it once. I had heard DFW was shutdown this AM, but had re-opened later. I guess the Midwest is really going to get slammed. Late/light freight tomorrow for sure.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Not our station, but who knows with the other locations. We didn't open back up until this morning, nice having a day off, too bad it was so flippin' cold..lol

quadro

There's no way FedEx could cover for us if we all decided to do a walkout tomorrow. It would take awhile to get people to cover, and a lot longer to develop any level of efficiency and productivity.
Isn't that the point of the RLA? To prevent a widespread disruption?

bbsam

Staff member
Isn't that the point of the RLA? To prevent a widespread disruption?

Stop trying to bring a thesis to a logical conclusion! How are we to maintain hysteria with your brand of rationality poluting BC?! If I knew how to report you,...oh...wait a minute. That does make sense, doesn't it?

FedExer267

Stop trying to bring a thesis to a logical conclusion! How are we to maintain hysteria with your brand of rationality poluting BC?! If I knew how to report you,...oh...wait a minute. That does make sense, doesn't it?

It costs 2500 to bring in new hires plus 2 weeks of courier school. So it really doesn't matter what your under. Are you telling me if the majority of Express walked that they would all be fired then Express would have to sit on freight for 2 weeks atleast before getting it delivered, thats not smart business. It is more logical to keep your employees happy. This is something FedEx does not get. Its not like they could rush all that freight to Ground we are not pilots.

I am sure that as more and more mid range employees are at Express this is something that is thought about. Its a matter of time before a big case of the purple flu works it way through Express. The sad thing is this could all be changed if it did not take 20 years to top out. Make it 3 years like UPS then you may have happier employees. You give a employee something to work for and they will be happer than they would be 15 years into a job and still 10 dollars away from top out. The one thing FedEx Corp does not get you get what you pay for.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It costs 2500 to bring in new hires plus 2 weeks of courier school. So it really doesn't matter what your under. Are you telling me if the majority of Express walked that they would all be fired then Express would have to sit on freight for 2 weeks atleast before getting it delivered, thats not smart business. It is more logical to keep your employees happy. This is something FedEx does not get. Its not like they could rush all that freight to Ground we are not pilots.

Not to mention also the loss of business real fast by scared customers who would obviously know that their packages would not get delivered at all let alone by commitment times.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Isn't that what you yourself are saying if a wild-cat strike were to take place?

Only union members can do a wildcat strike. We're not union, which is why I've always advocated disruptions in routines that would reduce efficiency. It would be hard to get enough people to just not work, or do a temporary work stoppage like shutting down the belt for 15 mins on the AM sort. The idea that the national economy would be disrupted has always been a FedEx ploy to keep the RLA exemption. Our competitors would get the extra business, just like we did when UPS struck in the 90's. The economy didn't grind to a halt then, and UPS is far bigger than we are.

bbsam

Staff member
It didn't grind to a halt but commerce was not happy. If Congress can see it's way to keeping anything remotely like it from happening again, it will.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The idea that the national economy would be disrupted has always been a FedEx ploy to keep the RLA exemption. Our competitors would get the extra business, just like we did when UPS struck in the 90's. The economy didn't grind to a halt then, and UPS is far bigger than we are.

Excellent point.

And Fred as usual is just blowing smoke.

quadro

That's always been the FedEx argument. To say that the national economy would be disrupted is just a ruse. Obviously, you fell for it.
Except for the fact that you're the one that said it would be a widespread disruption.

An airline can go on strike and it wouldn't necessarily affect the national economy and they're covered under the RLA. It would be a huge inconvenience for a lot of people but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be covered under the RLA. It was a huge inconvenience for a lot of people when UPS did go on strike which is why, if anything, they should be under the RLA. Which, if I'm not mistaken was UPS' argument back when they tried to get under the RLA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Except for the fact that you're the one that said it would be a widespread disruption.

An airline can go on strike and it wouldn't necessarily affect the national economy and they're covered under the RLA. It would be a huge inconvenience for a lot of people but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be covered under the RLA. It was a huge inconvenience for a lot of people when UPS did go on strike which is why, if anything, they should be under the RLA. Which, if I'm not mistaken was UPS' argument back when they tried to get under the RLA.

Huh? What? I'm getting dizzy trying to understand your illogical rantings. Mr. Spock would be mixing Valiums with his Romulan Ale right about now. If we ever went on strike some people would be inconvenienced, the economy would not falter, and UPS would get our pissed-off shippers. It's all smoke and mirrors trying to scare the public into thinking the world would end if we had the ability to strike, which plays right into Fred's hands with his precious RLA special deal.
When UPS struck, it was a goldmine for FedEx, and the economy didn't miss a beat. Hey, in Fred's "free market" world, the market would "adjust" everything anyway. More CRAP from an excellent "poo" vendor. Keep trying.

bbsam

Staff member
Huh? What? I'm getting dizzy trying to understand your illogical rantings. Mr. Spock would be mixing Valiums with his Romulan Ale right about now. If we ever went on strike some people would be inconvenienced, the economy would not falter, and UPS would get our pissed-off shippers. It's all smoke and mirrors trying to scare the public into thinking the world would end if we had the ability to strike, which plays right into Fred's hands with his precious RLA special deal.
When UPS struck, it was a goldmine for FedEx, and the economy didn't miss a beat. Hey, in Fred's "free market" world, the market would "adjust" everything anyway. More CRAP from an excellent "poo" vendor. Keep trying.

Do you realize that your logic on this point is exactly what Fred points to in order to keep congressmen and senators in his pocket? Government isn't overly concerned with worker/union rights when compared to the huge logistical problems UPS caused in their strike. Even if a work stoppage at Fedex only resulted in 1/2 the problems, from lawmakers point of view, that possibility is limited simply by granting Fred his RLA status.

quadro

And who better than you to be an expert on illogical rantings. Once again, you avoid the discussion because it invalidates your points. Go back and read what you wrote. You are the one that used the words "widespread disruption". You used them when explaining what would happen if Express employees took some sort of action. I haven't taken them out of context. I haven't twisted your words or misinterpreted your meaning. You were very clear on what you said.

That's exactly why Express, and UPS for that matter, should be under the RLA. As bbsam and I have been trying to tell you, you are making Fred's argument for him. The RLA itself doesn't really say anything about the economy faltering. What it does say is "To avoid any interruption to commerce or to the operation of any carrier engaged therein". That's the first thing it says under its general purpose. You have very clearly and very distinctly explained why Express should be covered under RLA.

quadro

Do you realize that your logic on this point is exactly what Fred points to in order to keep congressmen and senators in his pocket? Government isn't overly concerned with worker/union rights when compared to the huge logistical problems UPS caused in their strike. Even if a work stoppage at Fedex only resulted in 1/2 the problems, from lawmakers point of view, that possibility is limited simply by granting Fred his RLA status.
For someone that likes to tell people whether they "get it" or not, he really doesn't seem to "get it" himself, does he?