UPS RLA Facts

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's exactly why Express, and UPS for that matter, should be under the RLA. As bbsam and I have been trying to tell you, you are making Fred's argument for him. The RLA itself doesn't really say anything about the economy faltering. What it does say is "To avoid any interruption to commerce or to the operation of any carrier engaged therein". That's the first thing it says under its general purpose. You have very clearly and very distinctly explained why Express should be covered under RLA.

If this is the case then tell us why did Fred have to sneak the language into FAA bill of 1996 and on top of it pay off numerous politicians to do so?

Go converse with uncle Maury and get back to us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If this is the case then tell us why did Fred have to sneak the language into FAA bill of 1996 and on top of it pay off numerous politicians to do so?

Exactly. You could use the same language for any carrier, be it a railroad, an airline, or a delivery company that happens to have airplanes. I have not "clearly and distinctly explained why Express should be covered by the RLA". You're (as usual) trying to spin something in a direction that is completely opposite of what I said. Absolutely any carrier could "interrupt commerce". The idea that FedEx alone could cause significant damage to the national economy is ridiculous. You're making my argument for me when you defend Fred S's absolutely, positively, unique and special RLA deal on that basis.

As I've said, Fred is a big proponent of the "free market". In a free market, the marketplace is self-correcting, and substitute carriers would take-up the slack, or so say believers in this philosophy. The special RLA deal Fred has is the antithesis of the free market, because it gives FedEx a substantial advantage over the competition. This makes Smith a complete hypocrite, and you a total sycophant for defending him.

bbsam

Staff member

Because UPS didn't go on strike until after that and show the world how Fred's RLA status really was good for commerce? Because politicians will always take payoffs?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Because UPS didn't go on strike until after that and show the world how Fred's RLA status really was good for commerce? Because politicians will always take payoffs?

The UPS strike is irrelevant if you believe in the Free Market.

quadro

I'm not spinning anything. I'm just going by what you said. As it appears your browser's back button isn't working, here it is again
There's no way FedEx could cover for us if we all decided to do a walkout tomorrow. It would take awhile to get people to cover, and a lot longer to develop any level of efficiency and productivity.
I don't see how that could be construed as anything other than causing a disruption.
Exactly. You could use the same language for any carrier, be it a railroad, an airline, or a delivery company that happens to have airplanes. I have not "clearly and distinctly explained why Express should be covered by the RLA". You're (as usual) trying to spin something in a direction that is completely opposite of what I said. Absolutely any carrier could "interrupt commerce". The idea that FedEx alone could cause significant damage to the national economy is ridiculous. You're making my argument for me when you defend Fred S's absolutely, positively, unique and special RLA deal on that basis.

As I've said, Fred is a big proponent of the "free market". In a free market, the marketplace is self-correcting, and substitute carriers would take-up the slack, or so say believers in this philosophy. The special RLA deal Fred has is the antithesis of the free market, because it gives FedEx a substantial advantage over the competition. This makes Smith a complete hypocrite, and you a total sycophant for defending him.
I never said that FedEx could cause damage to the national economy. Actually, I'm pretty sure you won't find the word "economy" anywhere in the RLA.

What substitute carrier other than UPS could even begin to "take up the slack"?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not spinning anything. I'm just going by what you said. As it appears your browser's back button isn't working, here it is again

I don't see how that could be construed as anything other than causing a disruption.

I never said that FedEx could cause damage to the national economy. Actually, I'm pretty sure you won't find the word "economy" anywhere in the RLA.

What substitute carrier other than UPS could even begin to "take up the slack"?

USPS and UPS would be the logical alternatives to FedEx. You are the one who seems to be saying that a potential disruption of FedEx services justifies the RLA. "Commerce" and "economy" are like terms in this case IMO. At any rate, FedEx being down for a week or two would disrupt Fred and his cash flow... not the nation. The RLA is Fred's magic pony from his friends in DC. Just admit it, he's got a special deal for his "airline". Jeez.

quadro

USPS and UPS would be the logical alternatives to FedEx. You are the one who seems to be saying that a potential disruption of FedEx services justifies the RLA. "Commerce" and "economy" are like terms in this case IMO. At any rate, FedEx being down for a week or two would disrupt Fred and his cash flow... not the nation. The RLA is Fred's magic pony from his friends in DC. Just admit it, he's got a special deal for his "airline". Jeez.
The USPS might be a little tricky if the mail cannot make it onto our planes and the USPS doesn't take as big or heavy boxes. Not the end of the world but an obstacle nonetheless. UPS certainly at the very worst would be in the same position we were when they were on strike. I think an obstacle for them would be that it seems like their trucks (package cars?) are always more full than our trucks so how would their drivers deliver all the extra freight. I know my truck was bulked out daily during the UPS strike. Again, just a hurdle, but something that makes you realize there's a lot to think about.
I would imagine that FedEx being down for a week or two would disrupt many peoples' cash flows. Yours and mine included. Many businesses too. I would even say that most of the people affected by it would see a greater impact than Fred would.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The USPS might be a little tricky if the mail cannot make it onto our planes and the USPS doesn't take as big or heavy boxes. Not the end of the world but an obstacle nonetheless. UPS certainly at the very worst would be in the same position we were when they were on strike. I think an obstacle for them would be that it seems like their trucks (package cars?) are always more full than our trucks so how would their drivers deliver all the extra freight. I know my truck was bulked out daily during the UPS strike. Again, just a hurdle, but something that makes you realize there's a lot to think about.
I would imagine that FedEx being down for a week or two would disrupt many peoples' cash flows. Yours and mine included. Many businesses too. I would even say that most of the people affected by it would see a greater impact than Fred would.

Go read the newest post on "facts" about Fred and let me know what you think.

quadro

Go read the newest post on "facts" about Fred and let me know what you think.
A few things. First, you are absolutely right to put facts in quotes.

The first link is really just a summary of the book that was written about Fred and FedEx by a Memphis reporter. I think the summary actually paints a decent picture. I know you like to talk about the pedestrian that was killed and the ensuing cover-up. I'll just say that even in the book, the reporter said there was no evidence that it was anything but an accident. The webpage tells you that the police officer following Fred confirmed it. If we accept that it was a cover up, then we have to accept that the police were paid off, the media was paid off, as well as anyone else involved. The problem with that is that now you're not just questioning Fred's integrity but all those other people as well. There's no evidence to suggest that they are all corrupt.

The second link is...well, let's just say I'm more than happy to wait to see the movie. I mean really, it's one anonymous person's account with no substantiating facts. The whole BBF or whatever it was. Don't you think that with the thousands of FedEx employees someone else would have heard about that? Do I think managers (and employees for that matter) have never done anything wrong? Absolutely not. I've witnessed it first hand. But in a company this size, people are going to make mistakes and need to be held accountable as appropriate. I've seen that happen too. What this person is saying though just doesn't pass the smell test. I will, however, keep an open mind and look for the book and the movie that the person claims is on its way and then I'll decide for sure if what they say is accurate or not. In the meantime, it's just a story.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Do you think that Fred can't cover stuff up? How many times have you seen FedEx mentioned in a derogatory tone more than one time in a day?

I will give you an example. Recently in Dallas, there was a bomb scare involving a FedEx package...it was a big enough deal that they broke into programming. I told my wife to keep watching the news for the next few days and tell me how many times it got mentioned. Guess what? It was never back on the news, even when it was determined to be a false alarm, you didn't hear FedEx mentioned. Fred can cover up anything.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you think that Fred can't cover stuff up? How many times have you seen FedEx mentioned in a derogatory tone more than one time in a day?

I will give you an example. Recently in Dallas, there was a bomb scare involving a FedEx package...it was a big enough deal that they broke into programming. I told my wife to keep watching the news for the next few days and tell me how many times it got mentioned. Guess what? It was never back on the news, even when it was determined to be a false alarm, you didn't hear FedEx mentioned. Fred can cover up anything.

FedEx is excellent at keeping bad news out of the media and equally excellent at inserting good news. If we have a bomb scare or an incident that looks bad for FedEx (like an FAA fine, or a bad vehicle accident), the average FedEx employee will never hear about it. For instance, we had an Express RTD killed in a crash in Tampa last year. How many of you heard about it? We've also had numerous very serious accidents where FedEx drivers were at-fault, yet we don't hear about those either. By the way, bad accidents seem to way-up since the big push for added productivity, at least in the region where I work.

If we ship a panda, a whale, or some ancient artifact, FedEx will festoon the plane, the CTV, and the employees with decals, t-shirts, and whatever else it takes to get the media involved. They are very skilled at hyping the good and covering-up the bad in the PR department.

FedExer267

If anyone of us killed someone and we were driving under the influence accident or not we would be doing jail time. You make a decission to get behind the wheel drunk you are already commiting a crime. You, me and everyone else on here would be in the slammer. Fred obviously paid a few people off. Now if its not a big deal driving while intoxicated why is it if we get popped for a DUI on our own time, we will be off the road for five years and thats for just getting caught not killing someone.

LTFedExer

FedEx is excellent at keeping bad news out of the media and equally excellent at inserting good news. If we have a bomb scare or an incident that looks bad for FedEx (like an FAA fine, or a bad vehicle accident), the average FedEx employee will never hear about it. For instance, we had an Express RTD killed in a crash in Tampa last year. How many of you heard about it? We've also had numerous very serious accidents where FedEx drivers were at-fault, yet we don't hear about those either. By the way, bad accidents seem to way-up since the big push for added productivity, at least in the region where I work.

If we ship a panda, a whale, or some ancient artifact, FedEx will festoon the plane, the CTV, and the employees with decals, t-shirts, and whatever else it takes to get the media involved. They are very skilled at hyping the good and covering-up the bad in the PR department.
So all those news reports about UPS accidents, FAA violations, etc etc. was Fred's doing also? Oh wait, I haven't seen any.

I did ask you once before MFE. But, you never did answer. How is your business doing? You seem to have the answers to run business in the ideal way, you should be a billionaire.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So all those news reports about UPS accidents, FAA violations, etc etc. was Fred's doing also? Oh wait, I haven't seen any.

I did ask you once before MFE. But, you never did answer. How is your business doing? You seem to have the answers to run business in the ideal way, you should be a billionaire.

My sideline business (investments) is doing quite well. I'm only at FedEx for the insurance benefits, which stink, but are cheaper than buying it on my own. I'm not a billionaire like Fred, but my Dad didn't leave me the present day equivalent of $25 million dollars as an inheritance like Fred's father did. I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth. Fred's was golden, and encrusted with diamonds.

quadro

You guys give FedEx WAY too much credit. To imply that they are covering stuff up also implies that the multitude of media outlets across the country are corrupt.

You can Google the Dallas story and there are plenty of links. The reason it wasn't continually in the news was either because it took about an hour or less to realize it wasn't a bomb and/or there were other items that the program directors deemed more newsworthy and likely to get higher ratings.

I don't remember for sure but I think that the incident where Fred killed a pedestrian it was proven he wasn't drunk. I'd have to go back and look it up again though to be sure.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't remember for sure but I think that the incident where Fred killed a pedestrian it was proven he wasn't drunk. I'd have to go back and look it up again though to be sure.

I'd get my facts straight first before I post.

You're talking in circles here.