UPS Salespeople!!! Fedex Packages Available!!

bbsam

Staff member
Ground contractor here, I have been begged for years by the Express Management and even the Terminal Managers to go work for them but I chose not to. They all said I ran circles around the Express drivers and I have been safe while doing it. Not every contractor out there is as bad as you say.
uh-oh! There are two or us?

klein

Für Meno :)
uh-oh! There are two or us?

I see the ground fedex workers here, and they are professional.
Seen the one in Florida when I received a package by fedex. Also very professional.

DHL, now thats a different story. Some of them, barely speak english, and needed directions from me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ground contractor here, I have been begged for years by the Express Management and even the Terminal Managers to go work for them but I chose not to. They all said I ran circles around the Express drivers and I have been safe while doing it. Not every contractor out there is as bad as you say.

That's not what I've been saying. In general, on average, relatively speaking, most of the time, Ground employees are not as proficient as either Express or UPS employees. I'm sure you, bbsam, Fedexer267, and a bunch of others are good enough to work for anyone. Most Ground folks are not. See the difference?

TUT

As sad as it is, history proves giving you more doesn't mean you will do more, actually there is more evidence to show you would do less. You are probably already doing what you reasonably can, I think most of us these days are pretty much giving it our all out there. 90%=100%.

upsgrunt

That was Ups Grunt that made the brain surgery comparison. His point was a valid one. You said anyone could drive a truck and deliver packages. He said the same could be said about brain surgery but they wouldn't do it well.

I hope your big old brain does a better job of keeping OUR potential customers straight.

Were you hired off the street or do you actually have any knowledge of what our part-timers or drivers actually do?

My degree is in Business Administration. About half of the drivers in my center are college grads. What did you study that makes you so arrogant?

It was me that made the brain surgery comment, and I too, have a degree in communications and advertising. I'm interested as well where you got your masters in arrogance, and how many days you drove.

bbsam

Staff member
That's not what I've been saying. In general, on average, relatively speaking, most of the time, Ground employees are not as proficient as either Express or UPS employees. I'm sure you, bbsam, Fedexer267, and a bunch of others are good enough to work for anyone. Most Ground folks are not. See the difference?
Or maybe you are overstating the exception in an attempt to make it seem the rule. Maybe over the years you've become so used to seeing Ground in a certain light that you haven't seen the strides (along with the volume) they've taken.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Or maybe you are overstating the exception in an attempt to make it seem the rule. Maybe over the years you've become so used to seeing Ground in a certain light that you haven't seen the strides (along with the volume) they've taken.

No, so sorry. Most Ground drivers fall into the type I have described many times before. Here are a few helpful guidelines on general spotting characteristics.

1. Not in proper uniform
2. Lack of attention to personal appearance and hygiene
3. Beards. Scraggly or untrimmed
4. English. Often not so good
5. Tattoos. Frequent and large
6. Driving skills. Sometimes not so great
7. Safety. Again, sometimes not so good.
8. Vehicles. Often dirty or dented
9. Service ability. Often poor or otherwise deficient. Unable to provide reliable and timely deliveries and pickups.

I see Ground drivers all the time, and they run the gamut from ultra-professional to complete slobs. It's obvious that FedEx doesn't yet have full control over this aspect of the business. I also hear daily complaints about Ground. Mis-deliveries, non-deliveries, missed pickups, rude drivers, late drivers who don't seem to really care, and on and on. My guess is that any volume they've taken has been strictly due to lower rates in a recession and not from a vastly improved product. You may run a great operation with very professional people, but I don't see it as a general Ground characteristic. As long as you pay crap wages, Ground will only advance to a certain point.

bbsam

Staff member
You, sir, have an agenda and will see what you want to see and exaggerate what is to mean what you want it to mean.

klein

I don't know how this got on the net, or how old it is, but I came across it today :

big_brown_rovell_ad_1.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You, sir, have an agenda and will see what you want to see and exaggerate what is to mean what you want it to mean.

Sorry you can't handle the facts. I've been around since the inception of Ground and although it has improved, it is far from being an excellent organization. Flipping the coin, I'd say you have an agenda, which is to see the lower Express services switched over to Ground so you can enjoy more profit. By conflating the abilities of Ground to do this, you're feathering your own nest. Talk is cheap.

bbsam

Staff member
Sorry you can't handle the facts. I've been around since the inception of Ground and although it has improved, it is far from being an excellent organization. Flipping the coin, I'd say you have an agenda, which is to see the lower Express services switched over to Ground so you can enjoy more profit. By conflating the abilities of Ground to do this, you're feathering your own nest. Talk is cheap.
And if this is my agenda, then how is it advanced by posting on BC?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And if this is my agenda, then how is it advanced by posting on BC?

The same way my "agenda" is advanced. I provide informed opinions and people within the organization either agree or disagree with me. I have no enforcement powers, just a brain and a computer. It's a debate, or an exchange of ideas if you prefer. Would you like me to just hand over my full-time job to Ground without saying anything? You've already admitted that you'd love the extra business from a switchover, so your "logic' is a bit confusing. And you continue to insist that a $12-13 per hour "employee" with zero benefits is going to be both capable and motivated to provide superior service. I don't see it. It's kind of like racing at Indianapolis with a Ford Pinto. It might make it around the track, but it isn't going to keep-up with the competition.

klein

The same way my "agenda" is advanced. I provide informed opinions and people within the organization either agree or disagree with me. I have no enforcement powers, just a brain and a computer. It's a debate, or an exchange of ideas if you prefer. Would you like me to just hand over my full-time job to Ground without saying anything? You've already admitted that you'd love the extra business from a switchover, so your "logic' is a bit confusing. And you continue to insist that a $12-13 per hour "employee" with zero benefits is going to be both capable and motivated to provide superior service. I don't see it. It's kind of like racing at Indianapolis with a Ford Pinto. It might make it around the track, but it isn't going to keep-up with the competition.

No, your logic doesn't make sense.
Thats like saying I get a better computer at Sears, because the employees earn more money there.
UPS or Fedex, doesn't supply goods. They just deliver them, and most of the time to back doors (shipping, warehouse, or Driver release at residentials).
Do, I care if they have a tatoo, or a beard ?
As long as I get what I ordered in time and undamaged, I'm happy.

Now, if Fedex can't keep their commented delivery dates/times... thats a whole different story. But UPS isn't 100% in that either.

TUT

To MrFedex's list of why a Fedex Ground Driver Sucks:
1. Not in proper uniform
2. Lack of attention to personal appearance and hygiene
3. Beards. Scraggly or untrimmed
4. English. Often not so good
5. Tattoos. Frequent and large
6. Driving skills. Sometimes not so great
7. Safety. Again, sometimes not so good.
8. Vehicles. Often dirty or dented
9. Service ability. Often poor or otherwise deficient. Unable to provide reliable and timely deliveries and pickups.

RE:
GSO in California has been taking UPS business solidly for 2 years now. Overnight from socal to norcal and vice versa. Resi and other services free where UPS charges for them on top of already higher base rates then GSO. I can tell you GSO drivers are well below what you believe Fedex Ground drivers are. The point is, it's about money, money and performance much much more then a beautiful driver to customers today. When you talk about drivers it's a very nice to have now as everyone is fighting solely for the almighty. If a UPS salesperson was to use your opening comments for a sales pitch that will be taken back to Fedex Sales people, laughed at and debunked. Perhaps you are right long-term, but that isn't reality today and customers are in the now, they'll deal with the future in the future. 6-9 in your list should then hamper timely and non-damage packages. But Fedex Ground based on Transit maps can deliver overall a package faster across the entire US then UPS. From industry reports Fedex has less % of damages then UPS. So if 6-9 were true, in the eyes of customers they are irrelevant because of these benches.

History shows no correlation of paying more gets you better output. (Not talking illegal wages to legal wages). Saying $10 to $15 to $20 to $40. You do not see any major increase in happy output. Moral wears on a mans soul the same, as we all see more rules and regulations, the $40 an hour worker gets beat down by that as well. Perhaps they will hang in their longer before tell the boss to take the job and stuff it. But their productivity and happiness will be near the same in survey's to a $10 an hour worker. See pro athletes to show how the spiraling upwards scale doesn't mean happiness at work. See an illegal immigrant out work us all for a fraction, go home to a large wonderful family and spiritual life.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, your logic doesn't make sense.
Thats like saying I get a better computer at Sears, because the employees earn more money there.
UPS or Fedex, doesn't supply goods. They just deliver them, and most of the time to back doors (shipping, warehouse, or Driver release at residentials).
Do, I care if they have a tatoo, or a beard ?
As long as I get what I ordered in time and undamaged, I'm happy.

Now, if Fedex can't keep their commented delivery dates/times... thats a whole different story. But UPS isn't 100% in that either.

Here's what I'd like you to understand. In general (not all the time), Ground people don't measure-up to UPS or FedEx Express employees in terms of their capabilities, appearance, and professionalism. Again, in general, for $12-13 per hour you are not going to get a stellar employee. Like almost everything else, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS!!!

bbsam

Staff member
Again, and s-l-o-w-l-y. Maybe with the added revenue wages go up. Didn't I imply that before?

bbsam

Staff member
I thought your agenda was to get people to vote in a union to make things more like UPS. To that end your posts being terribly lacking in complete facts are aimed at getting others to share your view and vote as you would have them vote. I, on the other hand, am commenting on moves the company is making and moves I think they will make in the future. I have no interest in getting others to share that view. It's not a popularity contest. In fact, much of what I post probably solidifies what you are trying to tell others about the importance of unionizing at Fedex. I am helping your agenda. I'll say it again: I want as much of your volume and revenue as I can get my hands on. Now what is my agenda again? You see, I am so convinced that Fedex is and has been going down this road for quite some time that nothing you or I or even a union vote being taken is going to change anything. It may be accelerated or temporarily slowed, but the course is set. Full disclosure: I wouldn't call it an agenda, but I will keep suggesting to Ricochet that he seriously consider contracting in the future.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Again, and s-l-o-w-l-y. Maybe with the added revenue wages go up. Didn't I imply that before?

Maybe? The whole Ground model is predicated on a low wage/no benefit design. If you raise wages, the model no longer works. What is the benefit to FedEx if your labor ends-up costing as much as existing Express drivers? But it never will, because screwing the driver is an inherent part of the deal. The contractor does just fine, but his employees do not. Until Ground pays a living wage, attracting and retaining quality drivers will be a problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mr Fed Ex, the point you may be missing is that employees of a Fed Ex Ground contractor are there by their own choice. They began their employment with a clear understanding of what was expected of them and the compensation and benefit package that would be made available to them. This is not indentured servitude.

I would have to think if more work is diverted to Ground the increase in revenue would allow the contractor to better compensate their employees.

A ground contractor is a businessman. He does not run a charity. He is in business for the sole purpose of making a profit, not unlike every other businessman.

If he is able to find qualified employees willing to accept his terms of employment then more power to him.

Would I work there under those conditions? If it meant putting food on my table and a roof over my head, you damn right I would. I have worked worse jobs than that.

Do I personally feel that Ground drivers are undercompensated? Yes and hopefully this will change over time.

Will you ever see UPS wages at Ground? No. (This may actually work to the advantage of Ground in terms of securing new volume)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Mr Fed Ex, the point you may be missing is that employees of a Fed Ex Ground contractor are there by their own choice. They began their employment with a clear understanding of what was expected of them and the compensation and benefit package that would be made available to them. This is not indentured servitude.

I would have to think if more work is diverted to Ground the increase in revenue would allow the contractor to better compensate their employees.

A ground contractor is a businessman. He does not run a charity. He is in business for the sole purpose of making a profit, not unlike every other businessman.

If he is able to find qualified employees willing to accept his terms of employment then more power to him.

Would I work there under those conditions? If it meant putting food on my table and a roof over my head, you damn right I would. I have worked worse jobs than that.

Do I personally feel that Ground drivers are undercompensated? Yes and hopefully this will change over time.

Will you ever see UPS wages at Ground? No. (This may actually work to the advantage of Ground in terms of securing new volume)

I see your point, and even though delivering packages isn't brain surgery, there is a learning curve. If your drivers quit all the time for better jobs or just aren't dedicated, they never advance far enough along the curve to be really good at what they do. I'd also work there if that's the best I could do, and the recession has worked to Ground's advantage in that regard. If and when the economy picks-up, much of Ground's talent pool will go elsewhere.