UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

Ghost in the Darkness

Good post, I have said something similar awhile back. Our center only does limited zip codes for Saturday air currently. I kinda think even if we got the Saturday ground thing it would be limited to certain areas early on. It doesn't make much sense to make Saturday as big or a bigger work day than Monday.
Yeah UPS will probably be a 7 day a week thing on down the line and it won't matter that they lose in the rural areas because they will do well in the urban and suburban areas.

onehandsolo

My center usually runs 60 routes a day. The dispatcher told me that they would probably run 15 routes if we went to Saturday and it would only affect the drivers with less than 5 years seniority. Some of the zips in our center would not have Saturday ground service.

Limper

Out For Delivery
WOW. So how do they have enough drivers for Monday is my question? If I am forced to work Saturdays, I will NEVER work a MONDAY. Don't even bother calling me.

Answer is they have a Monday interest list for the T-S
drivers. There's been a ton of send agains from Saturday which is causing their Monday plan to blow up. So they ask for Monday volunteers and add routes as needed.

Limper

Out For Delivery
Good point on the no biz/pu's but you'd probably get 160+ stops spread across 2-3 routes.

In our Saturday test building, this is correct. Their goal was 185 SPC, but they have no historical data on these new plans and many drivers have no area knowledge on their Saturday trip, which was is causing major problems.

Limper

Out For Delivery
My center usually runs 60 routes a day. The dispatcher told me that they would probably run 15 routes if we went to Saturday and it would only affect the drivers with less than 5 years seniority. Some of the zips in our center would not have Saturday ground service.

That may be incorrect. Last Saturday's preload processed 35,000. Monday's preload was 30,000. All zip codes in the building are going out for delivery Saturday with drivers told to be back by 6:00 now. On road sups working Saturdays are off Monday.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Your center IS going Saturday. Also Saturday is not a special day. Its not "Saturday ground" if you go there mon-fri your route will now go there mon-sat.