UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

DOK

Kind of stupid from a business perspective. You lose that easy extra revenue from saturday air. Now everything will be delivered on saturday? Makes more sense to work 7 days a week to prevent packages from stopping and undercut our competitors delivery times by delivering everyday. We could easily hire new folks to cover the extra days and to not overwork everybody.
Or will they charge a premium to have your package delivered Saturday Ground, like Saturday Air?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Or will they charge a premium to have your package delivered Saturday Ground, like Saturday Air?
I honestly don't see customers paying extra for Saturday ground....the po is delivering Sunday and I believe much of that is prime ordered on Friday....we all are doing this because of Amazon....

Keenj

On the subject of jobs with strange and excessive hours, I've had people say things to me like "Oh, you're a single guy with no family. That'd be perfect for you." Wrong. Exactly, I'm single with no family so I don't need it. If I can live better off than most of the people around here without it, why the hell would I want it? Never understood how they always came to that conclusion.

I've been told that crap since I was in the Navy. I'm single because Marriage is a joke and I'd rather manwhore around. What good is extra OT if I'm too busy working to actually have some fun with the money?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Is UPS still using PT Saturday Air drivers or have they all been cut out? Is Saturday Ground a premium service or is it Monday upgrades?
No, as it now classified as a ground day, PT drivers aren't obligated to work before forcing FT low seniority drivers. It's basically Monday ground due to go out Monday, just ran Saturday. There have yet to be any pushing of trailers like we do during peak. The effect on Monday thus far has been negligible.

opie

So will they treat regular air and Saturday air packages the same? They will probably have to eliminate or greatly reduce the PT Saturday air jobs. Wouldn't be enough trucks to go around anyway. On Saturdays the trucks are nearly empty, because you only have around 20 stops with most of the pieces being envelopes and small packages.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I honestly don't see customers paying extra for Saturday ground....the po is delivering Sunday and I believe much of that is prime ordered on Friday....we all are doing this because of Amazon....
Walmart, Target, and Costco are also in a group of shippers that asked UPS to do this. That is what our BA told us.

Faceplanted

It would make sense for ups to just use pt drivers to deliver. Both financial sense and to keep drivers moral high.

Great chance for the pt guys to get experience and no reason to pay them 35hr.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It would make sense for ups to just use pt drivers to deliver. Both financial sense and to keep drivers moral high.

Except for the fact it's a FT ground day and they will be paid ground rate. The issue that has already surfaced is the rookies are doing horrible, thusly begging senior drivers to work at OT rate.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Currently, all ground is volume from Monday. It doesn't effect Monday volume much as you still have to go to those same areas that got ran on Saturday. The only way the company will make money off this move is to push volume throughout the company, not cherry pick loads. This is why the rush to do a nationwide rollout. Currently the drivers running Saturday are doing 7-9SPORH, costing the company money due to the lack of density.

I'm pretty sure (here) they would have to make it a Tuesday & Saturday route. Or it would be considered extra work and seniority would dictate who works or doesn't

We have enough OT whores that would work six days a week.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We use pt cover drivers in my local. All those guys could work sat
We have those as well, they have the option to work after the T-S new hires are filled up and FT volunteers have the option to work. Before Sat ground, PT had seniority as it was classified as an air day, that is no longer the case.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm pretty sure (here) they would have to make it a Tuesday & Saturday route. Or it would be considered extra work and seniority would dictate who works or doesn't

We have enough OT whores that would work six days a week.
On the money with that post. All new hires are classified as T-Sat as to avoid issues with rebidding routes mid contract.

We don't need anymore part time jobs. Extra work should create more full time jobs. But I have a feeling that our current leadership will cave in.

PT Car Washer

We have those as well, they have the option to work after the T-S new hires are filled up and FT volunteers have the option to work. Before Sat ground, PT had seniority as it was classified as an air day, that is no longer the case.
Is it a driver sort and load or do you have a preload. How about support? FT sups, mechanics, and who spots all the cars at the end of the day for Monday?