ups Seattle employees will be getting a nice bump in pay..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It will be interesting if other states
I'm pretty sure if you looked at the 5 states with a lower minimum wage than the national one, the laws implenting those minimum wages was from before the national wage was increased
It's interesting that many of the states mentioned in that article are from the south....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This will be difficult for the small business owners but they would be complaining about a wage hike of 5 or 10 cents an hour...even if they were millionaire small business owners. Regardless of that don't tell me that Walmart ups FedEx disney and the countless other large corporations can't pay a fair wage to the bottom half.they can find ways to pay the top hundreds millions in salary and bonuses..it's all total bs....

HBGPreloader

Nice rebuttal.

Numbers don't lie. Gas is about $3.70/gallon here, how bad is it in Seattle right now? $4.00? $4.50?

The public's general laziness when it comes to passing up a little extra work/time to save a few pennies don't lie as well. In general people just say "whatever, it's not worth the time/effort to save a few pennies".

No doubt people are lazy. However, when it comes saving a dollar or more, they'll go through extraordinary measures. That's why walmart and sites like gasbuddy and amazon have become so popular.

Anyway, back to the numbers...
With such a dramatic increase in costs, the only way any business will be able to maintain their current pricing and profits is by changing the way they do business.

Sure, the "ideal" way to deal with this such a dramatic increase in operating costs is to operate more efficiently. I could buy in bulk shop for better pricing on products/services that I purchase, amongst other things. However, in this economy, we've already implemented these savings and are already operating as efficiently as possible. So, there's no other way to offset this cost without sacrificing quality or service.

So, the only other option is to sell more product. But, no business can realistically expect to increase volume overnight. This especially holds true in the restaurant/retail industry because it's not like you can flip a switch and expect a hundred more customers to walk in your door every day - even if many of them just got a big raise.

This increase hits harder in other industries. When it comes to small custom manufacturing companies like the one I run, that $11 per hour increase in costs, essentially, means I'm out of business because my former customers can now buy a similar product from my competition in the next town over and save a whole lot of money.

The products I make, generally, take a minimum of 2 - 3 hours to produce. So, that's an increased cost of ~$20 - $30. On larger or more complex projects, that extra cost can add up to be hundreds of dollars or more. SO, who in their right mind won't want to save such a significant amount of money?

So, I'm left with 2 choices. I can either raise my prices to cover the increased cost and hope I still get clients. Or, I can move outside of the city limits and, at least, guarantee that maintain my existing clients.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Think about it another way also.

Family of 4 pays an extra $10 per week to eat out 2-3 times at fast food joints.

Those workers at those joints increasing from $7.25 to $15 per week on a 40 hour week is an extra $310 pretax. Betcha those fast food employees start eating out a little bit more, buying a few small luxeries, which would increase the economy.

Now the only problem is if the employers use this as an excuse to not only increase the price to cover the additional wages, but
increase it even more to increase their profits as well.
There have been articles written by millionaire business owners on this exact tbing

BrownBrokeDown

No doubt people are lazy. However, when it comes saving a dollar or more, they'll go through extraordinary measures. That's why walmart and sites like gasbuddy and amazon have become so popular.

Anyway, back to the numbers...
With such a dramatic increase in costs, the only way any business will be able to maintain their current pricing and profits is by changing the way they do business.

Sure, the "ideal" way to deal with this such a dramatic increase in operating costs is to operate more efficiently. I could buy in bulk shop for better pricing on products/services that I purchase, amongst other things. However, in this economy, we've already implemented these savings and are already operating as efficiently as possible. So, there's no other way to offset this cost without sacrificing quality or service.

So, the only other option is to sell more product. But, no business can realistically expect to increase volume overnight. This especially holds true in the restaurant/retail industry because it's not like you can flip a switch and expect a hundred more customers to walk in your door every day - even if many of them just got a big raise.

This increase hits harder in other industries. When it comes to small custom manufacturing companies like the one I run, that $11 per hour increase in costs, essentially, means I'm out of business because my former customers can now buy a similar product from my competition in the next town over and save a whole lot of money.

The products I make, generally, take a minimum of 2 - 3 hours to produce. So, that's an increased cost of ~$20 - $30. On larger or more complex projects, that extra cost can add up to be hundreds of dollars or more. SO, who in their right mind won't want to save such a significant amount of money?

So, I'm left with 2 choices. I can either raise my prices to cover the increased cost and hope I still get clients. Or, I can move outside of the city limits and, at least, guarantee that maintain my existing clients.
Like i said, driving to the next town over would actually cost more due to the price gouging by the oil companies. If we were talking about a burger going up $7 more than it is now, then i would agree, but we're not.

oldngray

nowhere special
It will take time for the impact to be felt but new businesses will build outside the city. Fewer existing businesses inside city will pay the costs of relocating but they will reduce workforce as much as possible to offsets higher labor costs.

BrownBrokeDown

It will take time for the impact to be felt but new businesses will build outside the city. Fewer existing businesses inside city will pay the costs of relocating but they will reduce workforce as much as possible to offsets higher labor costs.
now this i can agree with