UPS Sleeper Teams info request

rwdfinch51

Hi all. I am looking for information on the UPS sleeper teams, not UPS freight.
I live in SE Pennsylvania and am trying to find out if the teams run out of the Harrisburg area, and where to call to get answers. If any of you are on one of the teams, what are the runs like? are they dedicated bid runs or irregular route runs, and how long are you away from your home terminal. Thanks for the help.

sano

I cant answer your question. However I believe you are in one of the few (only?) areas of the country where UPS is hiring full time feeder drivers off the street.

tieguy

Banned
teams run out of willow grove and philly. I think Harpa has some that are domiciled there not sure.

Not sure about the wording you use in the rest of your questions. those teams run the same destinations/schedule each week with the exception of holiday weeks when they may be changed or cut.

Most are away from home 4 to 5 days a week.

rwdfinch51

Thanks for the help so far. I guess I should explain my question. I currently drive for FedEx. FedEx has bid runs where the teams bid on available runs based on seniority, such as Harrisburg to Sacramento and back or Harrisburg to San Bernadino and back. It has been sounding like they are going to do away with their teams, and go to all relays. so I am looking to see if UPS has what I am looking for. If anyone has a phone number I can get to find out, that would be great.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I cant answer your question. However I believe you are in one of the few (only?) areas of the country where UPS is hiring full time feeder drivers off the street.

ok, how is this possible? I thought ALL feeder drivers, at least now and not in the "old" days, came from package. I have heard stories at small centers where there might only be a few feeder drivers and only a handful of drivers of someone who gets hired off the street to driving, or hired part time for the warehouse, goes driving for a year then a spot opens up for a feeder position and none of the old timers want it so it does to a new guy. I would think it would be almost impossible for someone now to get on feeder off the street, its pretty rare to get hired off the street for pkg, especially since sups can slip in now.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
teams run out of willow grove and philly. I think Harpa has some that are domiciled there not sure.

Not sure about the wording you use in the rest of your questions. those teams run the same destinations/schedule each week with the exception of holiday weeks when they may be changed or cut.

Most are away from home 4 to 5 days a week.

Tie, can you explain UPS reasoning behind these sleeper runs. Also, since fedex trucks all of their ground and much of ups volume goes on trains, which seems to be faster? Now with the fuel, isnt ups getting an advantage using the trains? I do not know how the fedex ground semis are structured, in regards to costs being paid by the driver or fedex, but I would think if the owner operators wernt getting some kind of gas kickback they wouldnt be doing it. Thoughts?

rwdfinch51

Another correction. I'm not FedEx Ground. They are all contractors, or owner operators. I'm with Fedex National, the old Watkins Motor Lines that was bought by FedEx a couple years ago. Sorry for the confusion. so many FedEx's out there even we get them mixed up!

sano

ok, how is this possible? I thought ALL feeder drivers, at least now and not in the "old" days, came from package. I have heard stories at small centers where there might only be a few feeder drivers and only a handful of drivers of someone who gets hired off the street to driving, or hired part time for the warehouse, goes driving for a year then a spot opens up for a feeder position and none of the old timers want it so it does to a new guy. I would think it would be almost impossible for someone now to get on feeder off the street, its pretty rare to get hired off the street for pkg, especially since sups can slip in now.
Hey, I don't know. I came across it while I was researching where I could move to, to become a UPS driver. I will post the link to UPS careers. could be a mistake in their job posting, but it has been like this for a few months.
Here is a link to UPS Careers

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Tie, can you explain UPS reasoning behind these sleeper runs. Also, since fedex trucks all of their ground and much of ups volume goes on trains, which seems to be faster? Now with the fuel, isnt ups getting an advantage using the trains? I do not know how the fedex ground semis are structured, in regards to costs being paid by the driver or fedex, but I would think if the owner operators wernt getting some kind of gas kickback they wouldnt be doing it. Thoughts?

sleeper teams are used to save cost on air movements over more expensive air planes. They are also used to save time over the trains in keeping our service competitive.

Trains are slower and not necessarily cheaper. Trains also charge us a fuel surcharge for moving our loads.

raceanoncr

Thanks for the help so far. I guess I should explain my question. I currently drive for FedEx. FedEx has bid runs where the teams bid on available runs based on seniority, such as Harrisburg to Sacramento and back or Harrisburg to San Bernadino and back. It has been sounding like they are going to do away with their teams, and go to all relays. so I am looking to see if UPS has what I am looking for. If anyone has a phone number I can get to find out, that would be great.

RWD,
UPS also bids teams on seniority. You'd best get local # for availability. They can and do hire off the street cuz most local feeders don't want it cuz we're SPOILED LITTLE BRATS! I know, I did it.

We ran about 5,000 miles a week. Both drivers split mileage pay and delay pay, even if yer sleeping! Sweet, huh? Trouble is, you'll probably be working every weekend and most holidays. We did. We ran every Thanksgiving day, Friday after and the rest of the w/e. We ran July 4, every yr and some I can't remember. We ran extras during peak season, which meant we weren't home for almost a month, at least to speak of. We ran extras when called for.

We had a designated (maybe not dedicated) run. We had more stops than I'd like to but generally got paid for every intermediate stop we made. I'd have rather just drove coast to coast (and there are some of those, or similar available, depending on your location).

You want more info, feel free to PM me. I and partner ran for 5 yrs so I think I can answer most questions you got except local phone #s you might need.

Rown1986

RWD,
UPS also bids teams on seniority. You'd best get local # for availability. They can and do hire off the street cuz most local feeders don't want it cuz we're SPOILED LITTLE BRATS! I know, I did it.

We ran about 5,000 miles a week. Both drivers split mileage pay and delay pay, even if yer sleeping! Sweet, huh? Trouble is, you'll probably be working every weekend and most holidays. We did. We ran every Thanksgiving day, Friday after and the rest of the w/e. We ran July 4, every yr and some I can't remember. We ran extras during peak season, which meant we weren't home for almost a month, at least to speak of. We ran extras when called for.

We had a designated (maybe not dedicated) run. We had more stops than I'd like to but generally got paid for every intermediate stop we made. I'd have rather just drove coast to coast (and there are some of those, or similar available, depending on your location).

You want more info, feel free to PM me. I and partner ran for 5 yrs so I think I can answer most questions you got except local phone #s you might need.
How much did you gross yearly?