Ups snow recovery team

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I remember early in my career we had a really bad snowstorm/freezing rain/record cold temps pattern that coated all the roads with ice. A new driver was filling in on what is today my route, clear up at the top of the mountain in a P-500, and he made the mistake of going down a steep dead end road and sliding down into a ravine off of the end of it. The local tow truck drivers were all familiar with that road, and none of them were willing to even try going down there until the snow melted. The P-500 sat in that ravine for over a week until we were able to get it out. As for the packages...the driver hauled them up out of the ravine by hand and stacked them on a child's snow sled provided by a neighbor who then pulled the sled up to the main road with his horse. Good times!

rod

Retired 22 years
Its always nice to be well liked on your route. I was pulled out a few times myself by township and county graders and plows. I also helped many a stuck person get unstuck.

soberups

Its always nice to be well liked on your route. I was pulled out a few times myself by township and county graders and plows. I also helped many a stuck person get unstuck.
Country folks like to help the UPS man who gives biscuits to their dogs. Trust me.

soberups

Wait you're telling me you won't drive down my quarter mile long driveway that I've been compressing the snow on with my Tundra for the past two weeks?
My customers who live up high in the "snow zone" don't want me coming down their driveways when it snows, and many of them will call UPS specifically in order to warn me not to. Many of them have learned the hard way that any delivery vehicle that gets stuck in their driveway also blocks their driveway. Its much better for all concerned to have the package held in Will Call, left with a neighbor, or to simply wait until the snow melts.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Bunch of southern boys getting to play in the snow. Hilarious.

I ran rural routes for nearly 30 of my 34 years. I could tell some great stories about being pulled out.

Overpaid Union Thug

Bunch of southern boys getting to play in the snow. Hilarious.

I ran rural routes for nearly 30 of my 34 years. I could tell some great stories about being pulled out.
I had trouble placing their accents. I thought I heard Tennessee mentioned but I can tell you they don't talk like that in my area of Tennessee.