UPS Socks. A new requirement?

TSJ

I just received a '3 day suspension' for not wearing the UPS Branded socks to work on Friday. I've been wearing these regular brown socks to work for months and no one has ever mentioned it to me. My question is, is UPS now requiring us to purchase the Official UPS branded socks? If it's a uniform requirement, shouldn't they provide them for us? Also, if we do purchase them, can I have them shipped via fedex? Sounds like someone isn't playing fair. Apparently I will be having a hearing on Monday and I would just like a bit a fuel for my fire.

upschuck

Did they give you a warning letter first?

They have always wanted UPS branded socks when you worn shorts. Sometimes they are more lenient than others though.

TSJ

Warning letter for not wearing the proper socks? No. Gumby, Yes? I can ship socks via FedEx? When did this go into effect?

TSJ

Can anyone point me in the direction of the document that says in black and white that UPS Brand socks are required?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just received a '3 day suspension' for not wearing the UPS Branded socks to work on Friday. I've been wearing these regular brown socks to work for months and no one has ever mentioned it to me. My question is, is UPS now requiring us to purchase the Official UPS branded socks? If it's a uniform requirement, shouldn't they provide them for us? Also, if we do purchase them, can I have them shipped via fedex? Sounds like someone isn't playing fair. Apparently I will be having a hearing on Monday and I would just like a bit a fuel for my fire.

I seriously doubt that they all of a sudden decided to give you a 3 day suspension for not wearing the proper socks with your shorts. Sounds to me like you may not be giving us the whole story.

UPS has always required the official socks be worn with their shorts. I agree, they should be provided, but until then it is up to you to purchase them if you want to wear their shorts.

No, you cannot get them shipped FedEx. They are shipped UPS and they are not cheap.

upschuck

Can anyone point me in the direction of the document that says in black and white that UPS Brand socks are required?
This is what the Contract says:
ARTICLE 42. UNIFORMS

Effective May 1, 1994, short uniform trousers will be provided as

an option for package and feeder drivers at no cost to the employee.

Such shorts may only be worn in compliance with uniform and

appearance standards established by the Employer.
They could make drivers wear a tutu if they wanted.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The first time they talk to you about not wearing proper socks and you get a 3 day suspension?

Where I work, it would be a warning letter for 1st offense, a 1 day suspension for a 2nd offense, a 3 day suspension for a 3rd offense, a 5 day suspension for a 4th offense, and termination for a 5 the offense. It's called progressive discipline. They shouldn't start off with a 3 day suspension.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my center, they tell the driver to punch out, go home and get the right socks on. If you are caught, they will not let you leave the building.

Johney

When they get on that kick here they make you put on long pants if you don't have the socks. Everyone just wears them now. Although some have the ones with the gold stripe around the top(like the original one's).

oldngray

nowhere special
sweaty-socks-wine.jpg