UPS Special Pension Buyout Offer - December 2016

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are trying to shed a portion of their pension obligation and want it off their books before the end of the year.

To the OP: Are you rolling it over or taking the lump sum, less the 20%?

Coobie

Hello, sadly taking the lump sum and moving out of NJ... too expensive here.. I know it may not make sense and we may owe, but it will allow us a new start in another state....

twoweeled

I dont think ups should get away with this. I think all need call hr back east. To see why they send post cards out people that not going buyout their pension plan.Thats big brown for always trying get of something im call the corporate office monday and complain their bad ethics
I'm not entirely sure what you said, but I think I got the jist of it. We all know, UPS never does anything "entirely" for the employee. UPS would have to be gaining some type of advantage from this buyout. That alone would make me apprehensive about accepting it.
If this is not what you addressed, just ignore my comment.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not entirely sure what you said, but I think I got the jist of it. We all know, UPS never does anything "entirely" for the employee. UPS would have to be gaining some type of advantage from this buyout. That alone would make me apprehensive about accepting it.
If this is not what you addressed, just ignore my comment.

They are trying to shed a portion of their pension obligation ahead of an IRS actuarial change in the expected life expectancy.

twoweeled

May I suggest that you let someone else do your talking for you?
Damn! I don't know why - but I can't stop laughing!
200_s.gif

twoweeled

Yeah, but, that's if he lives 25 years "in " retirement right? That would be 90 years old. That's not highly likely for most people.
If I stopped drinking, drugs, womanizing, nightlife and general carousing. I think I could probably make it to 90.
Who am I kidding? I'll take the buyout
drinking.jpg

JSUN

I was employed for ten years and if I wait for retirement I would receive around $450 per month. I started the process to take the lump sum now after getting the post card in the mail, and it shows that I would receive $17,500.

I was ecstatic and ready to take this NOW, until the next screen told me that 20% would be taken out for Federal taxes, 10% for early withdraw, and since no state taxes are withheld, I could lose even more. This is :censored2:ing ridiculous. I could lose almost half of my lump sum because our government is a bunch of :censored2:ing crooks.

Does anyone know how I can find out exactly how much will be stolen from me so that I can decide whether to take the money or not?

Oh yea...:censored2: the government. They don't give a smilet about us.

D
I was employed for ten years and if I wait for retirement I would receive around $450 per month. I started the process to take the lump sum now after getting the post card in the mail, and it shows that I would receive $17,500.

I was ecstatic and ready to take this NOW, until the next screen told me that 20% would be taken out for Federal taxes, 10% for early withdraw, and since no state taxes are withheld, I could lose even more. This is :censored2:ing ridiculous. I could lose almost half of my lump sum because our government is a bunch of :censored2:ing crooks.

Does anyone know how I can find out exactly how much will be stolen from me so that I can decide whether to take the money or not?

So they give you the option to roll it over into an IRA?

rod

Retired 22 years

Its the old pay me now or pay me later routine. The only way to avoid it is be in the same class as D. Trump or Clinton . If you don't like this I'm sure you will be thrilled to learn that they take taxes out of your Social Security check and Medicare payments are deducted from it also.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

20% would be $3,500.

10% would be $1,750.

State taxes are based on yoir individual state.

If you take the lump sum you can expect to lose up to $7,500.

Roll it over.

towndrunk

So does anyone know if i can get the 20% in federal taxes back on my tax formes next year cause i have several dependents and not much in income this year because I was injured and missed several months of work

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So does anyone know if i can get the 20% in federal taxes back on my tax formes next year cause i have several dependents and not much in income this year because I was injured and missed several months of work
Yes Otis,
Those 20% taxes are paid by you so you will most likely get some of it back after Uncle Sam has used it interest free.