Ups still a good company to start a career?

BrownArmy

Finally having weekends off with my wife...priceless!

Barely seeing my wife during the week...it's a definite price to pay.

sendagain

The job does have a lot of stress and hard work, but there are good points as well. I've been retired with a pension for 7 years and kept the health insurance the company provides for very reasonable rates. I have a friend who worked on computers who has not found a job in more than two and a half years. If you don't mind hard work, you can have some great job security and benefits most people don't get anymore.

thessalonian13

Depends on what you call a career. A career to me means a series of jobs with different companies in a given discipline.
You mentioned UPS as a place to start a career. If that means getting an entry level position and and learning the basics in an area of expertise - Industrial Engineering, Marketing, Sales, etc., then UPS is indeed a good place to start a career. Work here for 2 or 3 years in a very disciplined environment and very thoroughly documented approaches, etc. These learning experiences will serve an individual well in their career as a starting point.
Operations at UPS is a more difficult consideration and I don't know that what you learn in operations serves one very well at other companies.

UPS is still a good solid company to work for in this economic climate ... that is important.

UPS has some tough obstacles to overcome in the next 40 years ... primarily a workforce that is over-compensated compared to the industry average. This is important for a person looking for a career at UPS since the number One reason people thought of UPS as a great place to have a career long-term job is the compensation.
"a workforce that is over-compensated"? SPOKEN JUST LIKE A MANAGER THAT HAS NEVER SEEN THE INSIDE OF A PACKAGE CAR. That's if you have ever seen the outside of a package car before. You know our trucks are brown, right? Try doing my job for 5 years. I bet you wouldn't last 5 months. It's because of us (PACKAGE CAR DRIVERS) that this company makes billions every year. We, the PACKAGE CAR DRIVERS, have to fix all your daily managerial screw ups while doing our job and keeping our customers satisfied. I could go on for many more pages, but then again I'd be preaching to the choir (drivers).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
"a workforce that is over-compensated"? SPOKEN JUST LIKE A MANAGER THAT HAS NEVER SEEN THE INSIDE OF A PACKAGE CAR. That's if you have ever seen the outside of a package car before. You know our trucks are brown, right? Try doing my job for 5 years. I bet you wouldn't last 5 months. It's because of us (PACKAGE CAR DRIVERS) that this company makes billions every year. We, the PACKAGE CAR DRIVERS, have to fix all your daily managerial screw ups while doing our job and keeping our customers satisfied. I could go on for many more pages, but then again I'd be preaching to the choir (drivers).

You've been around long enough to know who I am and my history if you were the least bit observant or had a brain to think with.

I was delivering packages before you were born you ignorant slut.

I worked inside the hub 2 or 3 shifts just about everyday for 4 years before I became a P/T sup.

I could have done your job for 5 years and even more. I might be able to do it today or at least better than you, you ignorant bit of sludge.

Now that I have lowered my IQ and standards to reply on the same level as you, let's apply a little logic and rational thought ... get your kids to help you.

--------------------------------------------

I'll write this and explain each sentence so you can understand ... maybe.

"A workforce that is over compensated."

I'll write this slow so you can understand.

I did not say "drivers" (please go back and read the above original post and then read what I wrote to the left).

Just to make sure you know where to look .... left is this way <-----.

Workforce includes all employees including me. (Let me try and make this more clear to you - I am in management. By saying "including me" that means management. Didn't think you would make that connection... get your kid to explain it to you.

Part-timers are not over compensated but almost all full-timers are or were over-compensated compared to the industry average.

I don't know why I bothered to try and explain this to you as you are obviously not able to comprehend much, unless your kids are in 6th grade or higher to help you out. Hopefully, you don't have any kids ... don't need it in the gene pool.

Peace

PS - It's fun posting stupid crap filled with emotional tirades that exhibit little or no rational thought. I might change my name to Paul of TOSrus and start posting like this all the time. :funny:

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Everyone relax and go back too your corners.

Actually I was laughing the whole time I was posting this. My wife wanted to know, "What the hell is so damn funny?".
I told her it was something someone posted on Brown Cafe.

I hope everyone (except Thessy) thought it was sarcastic and funny.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I know a few years back ups was one of the best compannies to start a career, especially for minorities. Do you guys think it still is today?
No. 1-UPS is aiming to be an average employer. Why give up Decembers with family your entire career when you can get comparable pay and benefits elsewhere? 2-UPS is a mature company. Start a career in a company/industry that's growing rather than shrinking or leveling off. 3-Did I mention the December thing? It's not worth it any more.I'm ok with where I'm at but I would tell family and friends to stay away from a career here.

Indecisi0n

You've been around long enough to know who I am and my history if you were the least bit observant or had a brain to think with.

I worked inside the hub 2 or 3 shifts just about everyday for 4 years before I became a P/T sup.

I could have done your job for 5 years and even more. I might be able to do it today or at least better than you, you ignorant bit of sludge.

Now that I have lowered my IQ and standards to reply on the same level as you, let's apply a little logic and rational thought ... get your kids to help you.

I did not say "drivers" (please go back and read the above original post and then read what I wrote to the left).

Workforce includes all employees including me. (Let me try and make this more clear to you - I am in management. By saying "including me" that means management. Didn't think you would make that connection... get your kid to explain it to you.

Part-timers are not over compensated but almost all full-timers are or were over-compensated compared to the industry average.

I don't know why I bothered to try and explain this to you as you are obviously not able to comprehend much, unless your kids are in 6th grade or higher to help you out. Hopefully, you don't have any kids ... don't need it in the gene pool.

Peace

PS - It's fun posting stupid crap filled with emotional tirades that exhibit little or no rational thought. I might change my name to Paul of TOSrus and start posting like this all the time. :funny:

You called him a slut....LOL

thessalonian13

Peace

You are way too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to get a rise outta you. Bullseye!!!!!!!! LMAO We package car driver do fix all your managerial screw ups every day though... Try not to have a stroke when replying to our posts. You are very entertaining, kinda like watching fox news... Peace out.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
At this point, it's been 'December' since last December. I'm actually looking forward to PEAK, the areas will tighten up, more routes will be in, and I've got at least a 50/50 chance at a decent helper.What a circus...
My issue isn't the hard work at peak. There are many good things about the peak dispatch. My issue is giving up vacation time Thanksgiving through Christmas for the entire duration of a career. Kids were off school but I couldn't spend any time with them that time of year. Also have to work Friday after Thanksgiving every year. Wouldn't do it again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are way too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to get a rise outta you. Bullseye!!!!!!!! LMAO We package car driver do fix all your managerial screw ups every day though... Try not to have a stroke when replying to our posts. You are very entertaining, kinda like watching fox news... Peace out.

Its all fun ... I was laughing the whole time I was typing this. My wife wanted to know, "What the hell is so damn funny?".

Anyway, I had fun with it.