UPS Stock vs 401k

jerseyupser

What is a better investment for your retirement? The 401K or the UPS stock? They both have their ups and downs. Will you pay tax either way when cashing either out? All information you have will help. Thank you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

aiian

I don't know if UPS not contributing to our 4O1k is nation wide but if it is...

Ditch the 4O1 and start yourself a ROTH IRA and if UPS ever gets back down below $5 of so buy some stock.

I don't know if UPS not contributing to our 4O1k is nation wide but if it is...

Ditch the 4O1 and start yourself a ROTH IRA and if UPS ever gets back down below $5 of so buy some stock.
The 401k,has a Roth option.
Maybe not,the best plan. but a good vehicle to save money in.

Many people would not take the time,to set up an ROTH IRA.
With that being said,it is a good deal for alot of us.

If you want to buy stock,buy it.

Just not in your 401k plan. just think of that,as something extra.

For the record. I invest in a 401k. and a Roth Ira.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our 401k has a Self Managed Account for those who wish to buy stock. This is how I bought my shares of Apple. I also bought shares with the dividends that had been directly deposited in to my SMA.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you put your money in UPS stock you're investing in one company. If you put your money in the S&P 500 fund you're investing in the 500 largest companies in the US. Which do you think is the safer bet?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I personally would go with the 401, even though UPS no longer matches. Step it up gradually until you're maxed out, you won't even miss the money, and when you retire you have quite a few bucks you've stashed away for yourself

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Roth 401k and maybe $50 or so a week in Ups stock purchase plan. It's pretty cheap right now historically speaking.

Honestly though if your asking questions on an employee Internet forum its time to talk to a professional.

jerseyupser

Roth 401k and maybe $50 or so a week in Ups stock purchase plan. It's pretty cheap right now historically speaking.

Honestly though if your asking questions on an employee Internet forum its time to talk to a professional.
I'm just curious about other peoples opinions and what they are doing. Talking to a professional would not be a bad idea.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I never have talked to anyone about my 401k , professionally .
That said I still owe some UPS stock ( last purchase was in 2003 ) which I use for a rainy day .
I believe the national average for a 401k is about 70,000 - 80,000 .
I on the other hand have close to what an airline pilot's average would be .
Every raise given meant that I raised my contribution up by at least 1% .
Since I plan on retiring soon I up my rate every quarter .
Putting money into a 401k give you a tax deduction , which is a good thing .
Buying stock even with a discount is not .
Because when you sell it Capital Gains Taxes must be paid ( up to 39% ) .

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Both. I've been buying UPS stock since it's inception. Instead of having to scramble down the road for a kids wedding or such, I'll just point and click.

aiian

IMO the only upside to the 401k is the free money from your employer which we don't get at UPS.

I participate in the 401k (10%) only after our IRAs are maxed out.

I've also been buying $1OO of UPS weekly since I hit top pay for a rainy day fund.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
IMO the only upside to the 401k is the free money from your employer which we don't get at UPS.

I participate in the 401k (10%) only after our IRAs are maxed out.

I've also been buying $1OO of UPS weekly since I hit top pay for a rainy day fund.
Some of us can't contribute to IRA's. Also our 401k fees are extremely low.

Payroll deduction is also a huge convenience to most.