UPS store pickup

yeldarb

At a UPS store, are we supposed to scan the drop offs? I have always scanned every box I have picked up there. It is easier to scan everything, than to separate the drop offs, with the ones done at the store. We have management giving mixed answers and drivers doing different things. I thought we had to scan the drop offs to put them in the system.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I have a few daily pick up accounts that use campus ship. Had scanned all of them on pick up for years and entered total before stop complete. Was informed by my on car during my annual ride this year that we are NOT supposed to scan the individual packages unless they were high value.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There is no need to scan the packages shipped by the UPS Store--that is what the end of day is for. We are supposed to scan any dropoffs.

You no longer have to scan any drop offs. Just include them as pick up pieces. If a customer hands you a pkg on route you are supposed to scan it under special counts. UPS Store should have a printout for all the drop offs. Take the pkgs and go.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have a few daily pick up accounts that use campus ship. Had scanned all of them on pick up for years and entered total before stop complete. Was informed by my on car during my annual ride this year that we are NOT supposed to scan the individual packages unless they were high value.

True.

RustyPMcG

As of about three months ago, when a TUPSS scans in a drop-off (so they can be paid for taking it), it goes in real-time into UPS's tracking system. If you track the package, you'll see an entry saying the package is ready for pick-up at The UPS Store, along with the city of the hub serving that TUPSS.

Franchisees have been told that they should be scanning drop-offs as soon as practical instead of letting them pile-up to all be scanned in at once.

Ironically, this gives the public better viability of drop-offs at TUPSS versus packages shipped by TUPSS. Packages shipped by TUPSS show no tracking information until either a Pick-Up scan, an Origin scan, or when all the iShip information is batch-uploaded sometime around 9 or 10pm PT.

At my store, the driver doing the early air pick-up (and the Saturday air pick-up as well) scans the (literally) handful of envelopes and packages he takes, but packages picked-up at the EOD are not scanned. When we get prelims during peak, those packages aren't scanned at pick-up, either.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Whenever I run a route with a UPS store, I scan every package. I used to just scan the drop offs and then add the EOD count to it, but one of the stores I pickup is just a sweep, so they don't have an EOD ready so I scan all packages. Also, some packages have come up missing from that store before. The packages were dropped off, loaded onto a handcart and then vanished into thin air (another driver, not me), so after hearing about that I will scan every package as I load up my handcart in the store so everything is accounted for. I would rather go through the extra trouble of scanning EVERYTHING, than to have a package come up missing

Indecisi0n

My UPS Store pickup last Monday was 181 packages. Sorry, I am not going to scan 181 packages, especially if there is no reason to do so.

I agree. Last sweep i had to cover for someone was 175 packages. There is no way i am scanning them. The women at the store gives me the EOD and tells me the total number.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My UPS Store pickup last Monday was 181 packages. Sorry, I am not going to scan 181 packages, especially if there is no reason to do so.

I understand your point, but when a few high priced phones with RS labels go missing from a pickup, you will understand if I just CMA when picking up at these kind of pickups, that's all

RustyPMcG

I understand your point, but when a few high priced phones with RS labels go missing from a pickup, you will understand if I just CMA when picking up at these kind of pickups, that's all

How does it CYA?

It would help the store prove you took it, and it disappeared after you took it. But if it never makes it to an Origin Scan after you picked it up, I would think that would put you in more, not less trouble. And if you're going to routinely miss the deadline for getting the packages back to the store, or make the store staff keep the store open past closing time because you're taking twice as long to pick-up the store, that'll get you in trouble, too, right?

I appreciate the early air and the internationals being scanned -- especially the internationals because of the one that was seized before it got an Origin Scan. And I would love to look at QuantumView and never see a package I shipped still in "Manifested" for a status because it missed the Origin Scan before being put on a feeder, but I'd rather my late reds make it in on-time, and I can close the store, and go home on-time, too.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
How does it CYA?

It would help the store prove you took it, and it disappeared after you took it. But if it never makes it to an Origin Scan after you picked it up, I would think that would put you in more, not less trouble. And if you're going to routinely miss the deadline for getting the packages back to the store, or make the store staff keep the store open past closing time because you're taking twice as long to pick-up the store, that'll get you in trouble, too, right?

I appreciate the early air and the internationals being scanned -- especially the internationals because of the one that was seized before it got an Origin Scan. And I would love to look at QuantumView and never see a package I shipped still in "Manifested" for a status because it missed the Origin Scan before being put on a feeder, but I'd rather my late reds make it in on-time, and I can close the store, and go home on-time, too.

Twice as long to pickup the store by scanning packages?? Please.

When loading up a 4 wheeler with packages, it takes an extra second to ensure all the labels are face up and then scan them as you build row upon row.

The missing pieces were done by a different driver, so I have never had an issue, not once. The pickup that I am talking about is a sweep, so there is no end of day at that point, so should I scan nothing and just enter in how many pieces I picked up? I would rather everyone involved (store, customer, and UPS) be able to see when it was picked up and that it was indeed taken into the system.

without an End Of Day I have 2 options. 1.) Scan Every single package, store processed or dropped off.
2.) Isolate and scan only the processed pieces but just throw in the RS oones.

You see, there is no good reason to choose option 2, unless I want to prevent the store from staying open late. LOL