UPS strike.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Indecisi0n, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Has UPS ever gone on strike? Seems like the drivers have the upper hand (in my eyes). If we went on strike i see production grinding to a halt.
  2. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

3. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

They are no fun and there are no real winners.
  4. TheKid

TheKid Well-Known Member

1997. Strikes are like headbutts . . . nobody wins.
  5. faded jeans

faded jeans just a member

Roger that.
  6. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Gee, that would make you just like the store manager with the keys standing at the locked door of a big store looking at all the peeps just wanting to come in......POWER, huh?
  7. Leftinbuilding

Leftinbuilding Active Member

Ask some of the people laid off right now, if they would like to have the volume we lost in 1997. EVERYONE loses in a strike.
  8. tarbar66

tarbar66 Member

There have been quite a few strikes that I know of.

How many people remember when Philadelphia went on strike and UPS decided to close the Metro Philly operation down completely. I don't remember how long that lasted.

The old Alleghany District, (Pittsburgh & Joint Council 40 Area) was out for different times in the mid 70's too.

I also think the operations in Alaska were closed down too in the 70's or 80's.

That was back before the global economy ruled !!
  9. dcdriver

dcdriver nations capital

10. RockdaleEddie

RockdaleEddie Optimized

I'm on vacation.
  11. MFR2010

MFR2010 New Member

Fedex wins.
  12. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

2013 I take all my vaca weeks in August.
  13. hellfire

hellfire no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

i heard the earth might be round, can anyone verify that?
  14. faded jeans

faded jeans just a member

Roundish. Actually an imperfect oblate spheroid.
  15. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

My dad had spheroids and they were painful for him.
  16. tfinnegan

tfinnegan happy exupser

There was also a strike in the Northeast in 76 that went from Sept into 2nd week of December...Talk about a bleak Xmas!
  17. rod

rod retired and happy

I went through 2 strikes----one was fun and the other one not so much. I would bet that UPS would just about force a strike this time. I picture them jumping on the "oh woe is me--look at the economy bandwagon" even though they are making money hand over fists. They are doing too good for their hourly employees to start back peddling now. Believe me they aren't going to offer more without a fight.
  18. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Ok. Quit rubbing it in. When your're crying monday Morning I'll be on vacation. So there!
  19. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

Since no one else has posted it, here's a little history lesson for you youngsters:
  20. ORLY!?!

ORLY!?! Master Loader

I dont think so.

They will get a lot more volume, for a time. But that will cause most of their workers, who already at thier limits, to do what they can to get out of work for that day, week or all of the above.

Trust me, imagen your job times 10 fold. I would probably be feeling like its a Friday on a Tuesday aswell.