ups supervisor

sandwich

The resident gearhead
im 23 years old and this is my first year i'm not trying to be 30 yrs old and still making under 30k a year..
Hahahaha, listen here newbie. If only I was Dr. Cox I'd give you a hilarious ear full and try to tell how at 30 years old your still going to be a part time sup and all the guys you started with who stayed in the union are now full time drivers making triple what you make.

Ninja edit: spelling.

J

jibbs

so the full timer keeps telling me to sort, and i've brought it up to him that I shouldn't be not to mention i have to run the sort aisle and the metro shoots are horrible in my area, a manager had all p/t sups sign an agreement form not to sort or do any work a hourly should do. Constantly being watched by union workers who directly tell me to stop... so I'm in between 2 walls

I stopped reading this thread immediately after this post to hit reply, so just ignore me if this has been mentioned and asked already.

If your manager tells you to do something that would violate the contract, then you knowingly do so because "work as directed," and an hourly ends up filing a grievance for the work they see you doing under a direct order from your boss, would you be held accountable for it or would your "full-timer?" (in quotes because I'm really bad with these guys' titles.) Because, at the end of the day, that sounds to me like it's your full-timer's problem if grievances get filed on his instructions. Of course, though, common sense doesn't always prevail in the workplace so yeah...

Serious question, though, if anybody's seen this go down before or just happen to know the answer.

Hahahaha, listen here newbie. If only I was Dr. Cox I'd give you a hilarious ear full and try to tell how at 30 years old your still going to be a part time sup and all the guys you started with who stayed in the union are now full time drivers making triple what you make.

Ninja edit: spelling.

It's possible for him. I've only been with the company since 2012 and I've seen 2 PT supervisors from the preload go into FT driving.

My small-ish center may be unusual in that regard, but my experience tells me supervisors do have a shot at driving if they really want it-- regardless of however slight that chance may be.

How about everything.

I'm with you guys, but I at least think the post was still on-topic, though.

I think someone was drunk or somethin' and hit 'derail' instead of 'disagree.'

Last edited by a moderator:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
So, i've worked for ups almost a year, and i've been supervisor for almost 4 months...do i have any rights at all because i feel like I'm screwed in every single aspect...

edison,nj hub
Why would you even be stupid enough to go into supervision? That's all im saying, no incentive nowadays. Just ask Frigid Man on here( who by the way I like his style and approach) and he will tell you theres no incentive for all the bs you have to deal with. Shoulda stayed part time youngblood and waited for driving.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If you are wanting an opportunity for advancement, no doubt management is the best route for you.
Bear with it, stay positive and keep working hard.
Come on Miles Austin, you know supervision sucks, who the hell wants to sell their soul and know their whole life is now a lie? Nobody with character or a backbone or a conscious will do it, just the truth boys lol.

laffter

Before you transitioned from hourly to management, did you ask any long-time hourly employees for advice?

I have no sympathy for inside employees who turn to management. I do, however, feel bad for outside hires who are under the common misconception that UPS is a good company to work for.

bill blutnach

So, i've worked for ups almost a year, and i've been supervisor for almost 4 months...do i have any rights at all because i feel like I'm screwed in every single aspect...

edison,nj hub

when I am offered new job, I never ask questions then, Aber I wait until I haf the job then go on internet und ask der people I do not know about die job. This is gut ja?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
lets see.....you have mentioned your hub, work area, your age, profile pic, and username, you will be fired by monday.
tumblr_mm1l1va1um1s9u6c7o1_500.gif
lol

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Why would you even be stupid enough to go into supervision? That's all im saying, no incentive nowadays. Just ask Frigid Man on here( who by the way I like his style and approach) and he will tell you theres no incentive for all the bs you have to deal with. Shoulda stayed part time youngblood and waited for driving.
The only incentive is if you are in school and planning to do something else when you graduate. Once you deal with the crap you get in this job, you can handle everything. I feel I could go further in management than a sup sort. But I have no desire to spend my life dealing with the crap you get thrown at you from higher ups.

OP, basically all else I have to add is do your job with integrity and honesty. Don't do anything you find sketchy. They can't fire you for being honest. And frankly if your leaders are dishonest you should either contact the HR report line or find a new line of work.