UPS talks pension cuts in letter to share holders.

Bustrbyte

I don't own stock anymore but a friend that does said that UPS had a lot to say about pension cuts in a letter to share holders he received recently. He said they were calling the cuts illegal.
Would someone Please try to post on this forum the part in the letter pertaining to this.

By The Book

I don't own stock anymore but a friend that does said that UPS had a lot to say about pension cuts in a letter to share holders he received recently. He said they were calling the cuts illegal.
Would someone Please try to post on this forum the part in the letter pertaining to this.
Maybe your friend could supply you this letter and you could supply us?

L

Little Brownie Girl

Maybe your friend could supply you this letter and you could supply us?

SEC Filings indicate that the management has "extended the life expectancy rate of retired pensioners" so they can "readjust the pension data" to reflect or "justify" reduction thus causing a lowering of monthly because the dividend into the divisor reduces the resulting quotient...

Demographic and Assumption Changes ($150 million pre-tax loss): The
implementation of new U.S. mortality tables in 2014 resulted in an
increased participant life expectancy assumption, which increased the
overall projected benefit obligation for our plans.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'd be willing to bet all my UPS stock that UPS did not say, "the cuts are illegal."

Bustrbyte

retired pensioners" so they can "readjust the pension data" to reflect or "justify" reduction thus causing a lowering of monthly because the dividend into the divisor reduces the resulting quotient...

Demographic and Assumption Changes ($150 million pre-tax loss): The
implementation of new U.S. mortality tables in 2014 resulted in an
increased participant life expectancy assumption, which increased the
overall projected benefit obligation for our plans.[/QUOTE]

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
In addition to our eingoing multi-employer pension plan obligations, we may have additional exposure with respect to
benefits eamed in the Central States Pension Fund (the ,CSPF"), frorn which UPS withdrew in 2007 in return for fully funding
its allocable share of unfirnded vested benefits thereunder. In 2015, CSPF submitted a proposed pension suspensiou plan to the
U.S. Departnnent of Treasury under the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act of 2014 (*MPRA") which proposes to make
retirement benefit reductions to CSPF participants, including to the benefits of certain UPS employee participants. Separately,
UPS agreed to provide supplemental benefits tmder the UPS/IBT Full-Time Employee Pension Plan to offset certain benefit
reductions under the CSPF. We have no other multi-employer pension plans subject to zuch a funding obligation. UPS has
reviewed the CSPF's proposed plan to evaluate the validity of the actions taken by the CSPF, the plan's compliance with the
MPRA (and proposed regulations thereunder) and its pctential impact on UPS's funding obligations under the {.IPSIIBT Full-
Time Employee Pension Plan. We are vigorously challenging the proposed suspension plan because it does not fully compty
with the law and we do not believe certain actions by CSPF are valid. Accordingly, we have not assumed or recognized a
liability for supplemental benefits within the UPSIIBT Full-Time Employee Pension Plan due to the submission of CSPF's
proposed plan to thg U.S. Department of Treasury. Further, we are not able to Estimate a range of additional obligationq if any,
or determine whether any such amounts are material due to a number of uncertainties relating to the MPRA (and proposed
regulations thereunder) and assumptions made by the CSPF in its proposed plan.

oldngray

nowhere special
In addition to our eingoing multi-employer pension plan obligations, we may have additional exposure with respect to
benefits eamed in the Central States Pension Fund (the ,CSPF"), frorn which UPS withdrew in 2007 in return for fully funding
its allocable share of unfirnded vested benefits thereunder. In 2015, CSPF submitted a proposed pension suspensiou plan to the
U.S. Departnnent of Treasury under the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act of 2014 (*MPRA") which proposes to make
retirement benefit reductions to CSPF participants, including to the benefits of certain UPS employee participants. Separately,
UPS agreed to provide supplemental benefits tmder the UPS/IBT Full-Time Employee Pension Plan to offset certain benefit
reductions under the CSPF. We have no other multi-employer pension plans subject to zuch a funding obligation. UPS has
reviewed the CSPF's proposed plan to evaluate the validity of the actions taken by the CSPF, the plan's compliance with the
MPRA (and proposed regulations thereunder) and its pctential impact on UPS's funding obligations under the {.IPSIIBT Full-
Time Employee Pension Plan. We are vigorously challenging the proposed suspension plan because it does not fully compty
with the law and we do not believe certain actions by CSPF are valid. Accordingly, we have not assumed or recognized a
liability for supplemental benefits within the UPSIIBT Full-Time Employee Pension Plan due to the submission of CSPF's
proposed plan to thg U.S. Department of Treasury. Further, we are not able to Estimate a range of additional obligationq if any,
or determine whether any such amounts are material due to a number of uncertainties relating to the MPRA (and proposed
regulations thereunder) and assumptions made by the CSPF in its proposed plan.

It looks like UPS is trying to weasel its way out of its promises. The way I see it the CS plan is legal and it did does leave UPS paying out of pocket for its retirees which displeases UPS of course.

Ms.PacMan

They think the cuts that CS imposed on current Upsers are too deep based on the language they put into that pension bill. We were supposed to be Tier 1 and CS cut my pension amount by 70% which UPS now has to make up.

Monkey Butt - I'll take that money in a cashiers check.

Bustrbyte

I had 32 years in CS ,5 in the new pension and retired after 2008. I think a 40% cut in the CS part is way out of line being UPS has already paid my unfounded liability to get out of CS.

oldngray

nowhere special
CS is only making those cuts to those people because they know UPS has to make up the shortage. They are using UPS as another revenue source they can tap. I can understand why UPS is pissed about it. It all boils down to the exact language in the agreement whether it is legal or not. As usual, the big winners will be the lawyers on both sides who will get paid to fight it out.