UPS Targeting Teamsters' Rights on Social Media

I can't disagree with this because in my mind, regulations have the effect of law.
OSHA regulations being disregarded or abused is in effect breaking the law.
Safety issues fall into that area.

My point was one can report issues before they reach the point the laws are broken.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But if I post "the deeper you hide your head in the sand the more defenseless your ass is" I get censored. Whats up with that? That old "double standard" crap again?
I don't recall you posting this picture before and if you did, I would not have removed it.

I did consider whether this picture would pass censor and I did not think it was a problem.

Do you think it is objectionable?
If so, "Report" it to the Staff.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm not "one of those". I don't find that picture or saying objectionable at all. I have never found anything posted on BC "objectionable". That"s just the way I am. I was just trying to point out how silly all this BS censorship has become on this site ---up to and including ONE person being able to determine if something that has been posted is "bad" according to their tastes. To me ass is not a bad word.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not "one of those". I don't find that picture or saying objectionable at all. I have never found anything posted on BC "objectionable". That"s just the way I am. I was just trying to point out how silly all this BS censorship has become on this site ---up to and including ONE person being able to determine if something that has been posted is "bad" according to their tastes. To me ass is not a bad word.
Calling another person an ass is objectionable.
Referring to the butt as an ass is not.
That is the guideline example Cheryl gave us a few years ago.
I guess that is why ass is not automatically censored out.

As far as heck for hell, that was a simple substitution that maintained the intent of the word and works in every situation.

It appears hell has been removed from the auto censor list.

It doesn't bother me either way ... what the hell or heck.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I'm somewhat familiar with the NLRB ruling on this from a few years ago and want to reiterate something that the TDU article mentioned:

You can bitch about UPS on social media and even paint the company in a negative light as long as it's under the umbrella of concerted activity. For example: "My route was blown out today, 250+ stops UPS is a dumb :censored2: company!" is in the grey area but, "Every driver in my center had 50 extra stops and harassment is on the rise! UPS is a dumb :censored2: company!" would be "more" protected speech.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm somewhat familiar with the NLRB ruling on this from a few years ago and want to reiterate something that the TDU article mentioned:

You can bitch about UPS on social media and even paint the company in a negative light as long as it's under the umbrella of concerted activity. For example: "My route was blown out today, 250+ stops UPS is a dumb :censored2: company!" is in the grey area but, "Every driver in my center had 50 extra stops and harassment is on the rise! UPS is a dumb :censored2: company!" would be "more" protected speech.
And, as we know, these would be two very mild statements that UPS would not even blink an eye at.
There are some people who cannot help but to step outside the actual and make stuff up that will catch attention.

rod

Retired 22 years
Calling another person an ass is objectionable.
Referring to the butt as an ass is not.
That is the guideline example Cheryl gave us a few years ago.
I guess that is why ass is not automatically censored out.

As far as heck for hell, that was a simple substitution that maintained the intent of the word and works in every situation.

It appears hell has been removed from the auto censor list.

It doesn't bother me either way ... what the hell or heck.

That whole "hell / heck" thing struck a nerve with me----as you probably noticed. I will try not to be such a butthead next time

Johney

Absolutely!!!
When I was still an employee of UPS, I was talked to by several Level 20's and a Level 22 (District Manager) about my postings on Brown Cafe.

Other than one post, in hindsight, which was a bit too much, my postings were harmless barbs or stirring the pot type posts.

Corporate UPS social media people told me what I was posting was funny and OK but individual managers thought otherwise.
So they knew who you were from posting here? How did they know that?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A few years ago, our DM tried to fire me over an exchange with a customer on Facebook, I swore at her a few times and was anything but polite. Since I was on my home computer, and was off the clock, and didn't badmouth the company, there wasn't a damn thing they could do.

Gotta love this company

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
That whole "hell / heck" thing struck a nerve with me----as you probably noticed. I will try not to be such a butthead next time
I think you're more of an ass but what the hell... :hapydancsmil: Purposely meant to lighten things up of course...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The key is keeping your personal identity from being known on a social media site if you are going to post disparaging or damaging claims.

Many years ago I participated on a poker forum. One day a member (off-topic postings were common) ranted about the horrendous consumer service he received from Delta Air Lines; another member responded defensively for Delta in a 'here's why they probably acted the way they did' type posting. In over a 1000 postings, there was NO indication of that member's location or type of occupation. However, shortly after that posting, she was fired from her position as a senior consumer service manager for Delta for violating social media policy (no disclaimer). Without a doubt, one or more forum moderators/administrators sleuthed her IP / registration info to deduce her identity, then reported her to her employer. However, the forum is tight-knit and any accusation of such would get you lambasted (for the record, I interacted with her and she was very clear that she never accessed the website from work ... the posting itself was very innocent, but Delta believed it to be a misrepresentation of the company given her position & lack of disclaimer).

It's always been a concern of mine that if I ticked off the wrong person on here, my location would be "leaked." (I've made the geographic region I work in obvious, but exact center is not.) I DOUBT this will happen, but never say never.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A few years ago, our DM tried to fire me over an exchange with a customer on Facebook, I swore at her a few times and was anything but polite. Since I was on my home computer, and was off the clock, and didn't badmouth the company, there wasn't a damn thing they could do. Gotta love this company

The firing would have been justified.

It doesn't matter whether you were on your home computer and off the clock, you knew who the person was and she knew that you were a UPS employee. You didn't say what the disagreement was about but if I had to bet I would say it was work-related. How would this have been any different from having this discussion while waiting in line at the grocery store?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It doesn't matter whether you were on your home computer and off the clock, you knew who the person was and she knew that you were a UPS employee. You didn't say what the disagreement was about but if I had to bet I would say it was work-related. How would this have been any different from having this discussion while waiting in line at the grocery store?
I do not agree with this assessment as I do not think companies should take these type of actions unilaterally.

I do agree that based on US Based precedent and legal rights, companies do have every right to discipline and terminate employees.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

No, it wouldn't have been.

She was a customer in another state, whining about she couldn't get her delivery to her apartment cause she works. So, I told her the available options (neighbor, job, leasing office) and after every suggestion, none were acceptable, so I told her TS, that's all we've got...and she phoned in a corporate complaint. She only provided what I said, and that's where the DM was so pissed. When she read both sides, she agreed with me....well, not exactly, but I didn't get canned either

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The very fact that she took the time to phone in a corporate complaint tells me that you identified yourself as a UPS employee and throughout the conversation in her mind you were a representative of the company.

The very fact that she took the time to phone in a corporate complaint tells me that you identified yourself as a UPS employee and throughout the conversation in her mind you were a representative of the company.

No less a representative than someone who would tell "welfare trash" to pack sand in a bar.