UPS Targeting Teamsters' Rights on Social Media

brown_trousers

Bottom line they have to prove it was you posting the statement. In an inquiry simply deny any knowledge. As far as you know your wife got tired of hearing you bitch and posted how unhappy your are.

Unfortunately... UPS doesnt seem to care much about the burden of proof when disciplining union members... and to add to that corruption, the grievance arbitration doesnt always require UPS to prove guilt and wrongdoing.

p228

I'll just repost this:

Lesson #2. The A&E television network, which airs “Duck Dynasty,” has a First Amendment right to declare publicly what it stands for, and to suspend Robertson if it doesn’t like how he handled his free speech as outlined in lesson #1."

That's the point Hoaxster and I are trying to get across to you. You can say what you want but there may be consequences at work.

Are you going to go to jail? No
Are you going to get fired? Yeah, maybe

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Unfortunately... UPS doesnt seem to care much about the burden of proof when disciplining union members... and to add to that corruption, the grievance arbitration doesnt always require UPS to prove guilt and wrongdoing.

Is that statement based on fact.... or opinion.... ??

I thought... I heard... or somebody told me.

Enlighten me.

-Bug-

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Notice: One's posts on Social Media sites are not protected under the 1st Amendment.
Do not do something stupid and post disparaging statements about UPS on Facebook or Twitter or other social media sites thinking you are protected by the 1st Amendment.
You are protected by provisions of the NLRB regulations and laws and whistle-blower laws but your statements must be carefully worded and with the intention as outlined under those laws.

Wrong. You learn to read and I'll learn to type of tiny Android tablets. Note** Disparage statements made for other to see in print or social media are opinions ( example, your a jerk). Knowingly false statements (example, calling you a convicted pedophile)are not opinions they are defamatory. Know the difference counselor.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wrong. You learn to read and I'll learn to type of tiny Android tablets. Note** Disparage statements made for other to see in print or social media are opinions ( example, your a jerk). Knowingly false statements (example, calling you a convicted pedophile)are not opinions they are defamatory. Know the difference counselor.
If I keep one UPSer from losing their job by not listening to misinformed advice, I am a happy person.
This is not about you or me ... this is about keeping people making detrimental, life-changing decisions based on wrong information.

Notice: One's posts on Social Media sites are not protected under the 1st Amendment. Do not do something stupid and post disparaging statements about UPS on Facebook or Twitter or other social media sites thinking you are protected by the 1st Amendment. You are protected by provisions of the NLRB regulations and laws and whistle-blower laws but your statements must be carefully worded and with the intention as outlined under those laws.

oldngray

nowhere special
If I keep one UPSer from losing their job by not listening to misinformed advice, I am a happy person.
This is not about you or me ... this is about keeping people making detrimental, life-changing decisions based on wrong information.

Notice: One's posts on Social Media sites are not protected under the 1st Amendment. Do not do something stupid and post disparaging statements about UPS on Facebook or Twitter or other social media sites thinking you are protected by the 1st Amendment. You are protected by provisions of the NLRB regulations and laws and whistle-blower laws but your statements must be carefully worded and with the intention as outlined under those laws.

Maybe you need a "give up" or "throw in the towel" icon. Or maybe just bang your head against the wall a few times. This appears to be an argument you can't win.
head banging.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe you need a "give up" or "throw in the towel" icon. Or maybe just bang your head against the wall a few times. This appears to be an argument you can't win.

I really don't care about the argument with bmwmc.

I am most concerned about UPSers not doing something to lose their jobs based on misinformation posted here on BC.

You never know when a reader will only read the last post so I will continue to respond to anyone who posts that the 1st Amendment protects an employee from their employer.
Granted bmwmc is the only person that has posted this misinformation but you never know who will read his posts.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I really don't care about the argument with bmwmc.

I am most concerned about UPSers not doing something to lose their jobs based on misinformation posted here on BC.

You never know when a reader will only read the last post so I will continue to respond to anyone who posts that the 1st Amendment protects an employee from their employer.
Granted bmwmc is the only person that has posted this misinformation but you never know who will read his posts.

Your not saving squat. UPS hasn't taken any action against any UPSer OR anyone else (non-UPSer) that has posted disparaging comments of Facebook or any other social media. Want to know why counselor? Because its PROTECTED SPEECH. Now should any person make a knowing false statement that is clearly DEFAMATORY, then watch them go after them.
YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA COMMENTS ARE PROTECTED SPEECH.

YOU don't know jack-sheet.

Your not saving squat. UPS hasn't taken any action against any UPSer OR anyone else (non-UPSer) that has posted disparaging comments of Facebook or any other social media. Want to know why counselor? Because its PROTECTED SPEECH. Now should any person make a knowing false statement that is clearly DEFAMATORY, then watch them go after them.

Do a search on Steve the UPS Guy and get back to us.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.

I do recognize employers have fired workers for there comments on Facebook and they are entitled to there negative reaction but much depends of the comments being made. Yet, people who don't fight for their rights loses them. Even the NLRB can not protect you from clearly threatening, defamatory, or other kinds of speech that courts have excluded. My back and forth with Hoaxster is not really an argument where we there is a lot of disagreement but one of clarification as to what is protected speech and what is not. Hoaxster would have people believe that ANY speech on ANY social media is NOT protected by 1st amendment rights and that's just not true. Again the NLRB ruling is very new and courts are still dealing with this new kind of censorship. I would expect more rulings will come. The https://www.aclu.org/ is actively bringing challenges to the courts on precisely this topic.

"Do a search on Steve the UPS Guy and get back to us"...I tried but got a dead end.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

In all fairness, Steve didn't maintain his position.
He took the "deal" at the local level hearing.

I agree that this isn't a 1st amendment issue, as we aren't talking about criminal prosecution.
I don't think anybody can predict how it would play out if the company chose to single you out.
Do you want to be the guinea pig?
Perhaps this is what Hoaxster is trying to say?

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.

I have to say its really a mute point. The provision in the NRLB rules and ruling effectively extend 1st amendment rights in the work place insofar as they apply to concerted actions. Under the said ruling employee's can make disparaging comments about the company and management. We however do need state and federal legislator to clarify a more broader definition that of protected rights in this new world of online forums. Censorship of private citizens to free speech in the digital age should not be allowed to be defined by 3rd parties who's own agenda is to stifle it.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
In all fairness, Steve didn't maintain his position.
He took the "deal" at the local level hearing.

I agree that this isn't a 1st amendment issue, as we aren't talking about criminal prosecution.
I don't think anybody can predict how it would play out if the company chose to single you out.
Do you want to be the guinea pig?
Perhaps this is what Hoaxster is trying to say?

I don't make comments about UPS I don't think aren't true. Most if not all of my disparaging comment about a manger or UPS operations comes from 1st hand experience which are largely shared experiences and agree with in this forum.