UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

CPLP can't cover Divi payments Last Q was horrible. Will wait till next earnings report.

SSW is better. I like our economy....I do not know enough about Euro economies to like or dislike. I honestly think we are heaed into self-realiance in oil production and the need to buy from OPEC and else-where is comming to an end soon. But I also think we are a decade or 2 away from shifting to Nat Gas and other energy sources and away from oil. Looking at thier financials they seem to be hemorrhaging cash the last 3 quarters.

NMFC-WOW! Talk about the convoluted!! "New Mountain Finance Corporation, formerly New Mountain Guardian Corporation, will be a holding company with no direct operations of its own, and its only business and sole asset will be its ownership of common membership units of New Mountain Guardian Holdings, L.L.C. (NMG LLC), the operating company for its business. NMG LLC will be an externally managed finance company, which will own all of the existing assets, and will have assumed all of the existing liabilities, of the Guardian Entities following this offering."
My take-away: Unless they have restructured to allow its ownership in IRA's (ala LINE w/ Linco) something doesn't smell right. But hey I am less than a noob at this, I don't understand their buss framework therefore am corn-fussed and need to stay away. 8% yield is below my goal and no financials on either google or yahoo, so best I don't add it to my watchlist.

Benben

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

I have received my tax refund. I know it goes against most "financial experts" But I claim 0 exemptions during the year so I get a nice phat check in February/March. When you get right down to it, my entire financial belief is this: People will spend what they have and generally live check to check. Thats why I think 401K's, DESPP, automatic transfers into un-spendable accounts the day of a paycheck, ect. are the keys to a rich retirement. I had 5 savings accounts all linked to my primary checking account. I found I moved money around to cover "wants" (weekend trips/dinners out/ipods ect.) so much that I really didn't save a damn thing at the end of the year. I closed all but 2 (one links to checking to prevent overdraft charges and the other I point to and tell the wife..."thats what we have in savings") and the others "became" my Merril Edge account. SInce I did that 5 months ago our "savings" outside the tax deffered accounts has trippled. The money that gets taken right off the top of a check before it even hits my checking account is still there and is working for me! The higher I set the deduction amount didn't effect a damn thing in day to day life. About all I could tell was the difference is it slowed the wife's spending...................ok some of it was my spending to but damnit I blame the wife (its much easier to do;)

So my problem has become this.............When do I need to start thinking about safety? My 401K is all market funds and the REIT fund. My Merril Edge account is all BDC's and Reit's plus RNO (and with it's yield in my mind I consider it more over an MLP play.)
So with that long winded self abasement.................At what point does diversification and safety need to be addressed? I am about 20 years from retirement. Wife is about 10 (no, she's not older I just don't think we'll need her working past that. I'd much rather have her at the door when I get home every night wearing...well nothing-with dinner on the table, an evil sparkle in her eyes and the kids have moved out.) High yield carries higher risk. In this market the risk is negligable but its there. At where do we start looking for "safety." Or should the emphysis on safety be only for when we are in bear markets not when the bulls are a'running?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

brownmonster said it best---"Set it and forget it". I have 25% going to my traditional 401k invested in the BH 2025. I have also started and begun to fund a Roth IRA through Edward Jones. I recently refinanced my mortgage (went from a 30 yr at 6.125 to a 15 yr at 4.5) and used an online calculator to figure out how much extra principal I would need to pay each month to have my mortgage paid off just before I retire and have begun adding that figure ($300) to my monthly payment. I don't have the time or interest in day trading.

brownboyups

I have received my tax refund. I know it goes against most "financial experts" But I claim 0 exemptions during the year so I get a nice phat check in February/March. When you get right down to it, my entire financial belief is this: People will spend what they have and generally live check to check. Thats why I think 401K's, DESPP, automatic transfers into un-spendable accounts the day of a paycheck, ect. are the keys to a rich retirement. I had 5 savings accounts all linked to my primary checking account. I found I moved money around to cover "wants" (weekend trips/dinners out/ipods ect.) so much that I really didn't save a damn thing at the end of the year. I closed all but 2 (one links to checking to prevent overdraft charges and the other I point to and tell the wife..."thats what we have in savings") and the others "became" my Merril Edge account. SInce I did that 5 months ago our "savings" outside the tax deffered accounts has trippled. The money that gets taken right off the top of a check before it even hits my checking account is still there and is working for me! The higher I set the deduction amount didn't effect a damn thing in day to day life. About all I could tell was the difference is it slowed the wife's spending...................ok some of it was my spending to but damnit I blame the wife (its much easier to do;)

So my problem has become this.............When do I need to start thinking about safety? My 401K is all market funds and the REIT fund. My Merril Edge account is all BDC's and Reit's plus RNO (and with it's yield in my mind I consider it more over an MLP play.)
So with that long winded self abasement.................At what point does diversification and safety need to be addressed? I am about 20 years from retirement. Wife is about 10 (no, she's not older I just don't think we'll need her working past that. I'd much rather have her at the door when I get home every night wearing...well nothing-with dinner on the table, an evil sparkle in her eyes and the kids have moved out.) High yield carries higher risk. In this market the risk is negligable but its there. At where do we start looking for "safety." Or should the emphysis on safety be only for when we are in bear markets not when the bulls are a'running?

Signal stock market is going to go down
when unemployment goes to 6% the fed will slow QE and start raising interest rates...watch and listen for those 2 keys

brownboyups

i add 5% to my 401k using the after tax instrument (keep in S&P gov't short term...pays nothing but keeps my money safe)...then at the end of the
year it's around $3,600...then i move that money into my Scottrade account at the end of the year...easy way to save some money

brownboyups

AI...offered 3 million new shares (stock got hammered) down -$1.05 (3.97%)...i've owned AGNC and every time this happened
the stock bounced back...AI on sale today...now up 19.73%

RNO...down all day...hit me hard -$852.61...-$553.53 YTD...not even worried...probably will go down further as i've said before
but as the dividend is announced and the ex date comes stock will rise quickly

NYCB...my one bank stock is doing pretty good...bought for $12.65 closed today $13.91...this is the stock i went all in twice last year
and pushed my YTD% to +22.86%...little growth...but 35 or 36 straight dividends of .25 cents...SOLID bank

look forward to sunday night...bloomberg and cnbc for the asian/australian markets to open

brownboyups

i have 8 years until retirement...20 years (been there and don't want to go back) u will experience this trust me...now your supervisors are probably older than u...
now i'm older than supervisors in my bldg by a lot and they tell me how do it my job...24 years with UPS i have helped build this company...
6/8 year supervisors know better than me...no way

i'm going to be 100% invested in dividend paying stocks for the rest of my life...as i've said before i'm my own financial planner

dividends are free money taxed at 20%...you/wife and kids can have a lot of nice things if you invest wisely and are willing to wait
until your in your 60's to start blowing free money...i'm investing now to make 10k per month in dividends to give away and live anyway
i want...you get it others do not

Benben

i add 5% to my 401k using the after tax instrument (keep in S&P gov't short term...pays nothing but keeps my money safe)...then at the end of the
year it's around $3,600...then i move that money into my Scottrade account at the end of the year...easy way to save some money

I had not thought about that. The first time I read this post I was thinking you couldn't touch Roth401K without a huge penalty. I pulled up the website and decided to bump contributions a 1% and then saw the "after tax" option. Is there a fee to transfer to the broker account at the end of the year?

Right now I am all about yield and what % I am up. I get charged $6.95 per trade so thats $12.90 in and out of a possition, that takes a bite out of the gains. Soon as I get $25K in the broker account I can trade without getting hit with the commission fees. This new tactic (thank you by the way) and transferring available ups shares from the DESPP account next January should put me damn close.

brownboyups

after tax option...no penalty...$10 to withdraw any amount
the great thing about it is you do not owe any taxes on it...the taxes have been paid
5% is the max
contribution
i put my 5% in the gov't fund...doesn't grow or go down...just 100% there when i want it
average $75-85 per week...about $320 per month or around $3,600 per year
you can put in any fund but if the fund is down (market almost at the top) and you want the money you might be losing cash
i use it as a savings account

brownboyups

Benben...i saw in another thread your planning on 3k per month for your pension
i've been told the upstate NY pension plan is the best in the nation (starting to think so)
a few weeks ago i ran into a retired UPS driver i worked with for 22 years
he told me his pension is $69,500 per year and said i'll make more than that when i walk
my last pension statement (projection) was around $46k (if i remember correctly)
retired in 8 years...house paid off in 8 years...(i have no bills or than the mortgage and the basics) no credit card bills
i do have a many of renovations to my house which i'm paying cash (no loans even if money is very cheap to borrow)
planning on being a stock dividend investing machine to the day they pull the plug on me

Benben

I am in the Central States plan and I am pretty sure its 3K a month at 30 years with $100 added for each year after 30. I really don't see myself working past 30 years even if I bump into feeders. There is just too much I want to do and too much of the world I want to go and see.

We (wife and I) will easily have everything paid off in the next 15 years. We'll help the kids a bit with college but its mostly on them (both her and I put ourselves through school and both know it will mean more to them if they do the lion's share themselves.) We live within our means. Which is why rat-holing(spelling?) away funds is so vital in my mind. When monies go into savings vehicles (401K, Roth 401K, DESPP, broker account, and now after tax 401K: hell I even set up an extra $5 per check with-held for fed tax just so I get a bigger check back the next year) before they hit our checking account it doesn't get spent. We see whats in the checking account, know the bills about to be due, and seem to spend all the rest. I told her we should never let the checking account go below 2K and it always seems to be right at 2K on Thursdays, go figure.

I am a 100% a divi investor also, with that being said, at some point I will have a small portion of the broker account that I "play" with for speculation gambles....thinking pink sheets only. Currenty I have high risk, high divi holdings, 10%+ yioelds. I imagine over time I'll lower that to a target of 5-7% yields.

It amazes me about how the majority of the population do not plan for later in life. We had all my inlaws over today for my oldest's conformation party. All my wife's sisters (5 total) and their families were running amok in and around my house (Catholic family so the number of kids was insane from, 16 years of age down to 9 month old babies). The conversation went to retirement and not one of them were involved in their company's 401K and not one had a pension/defined retirement plan except 1 (Cessna employee). What blew me away was the husband of the sister who worked (get this) in the financial wing at Cessna Aircraft works for a website design company that matched up to 10% in their 401K. I was totally stunned. I told him he was just pissing away free money. My wife told them what our retirement plans were and told them where we were at currently and everyone of them said they wish they were like her. I bet you next week's paycheck, not one of them will change a thing in the next year to plan for retirement. Maybe Mike-hopefully, who I blew up at for not taking advantage of a 10% match when him and his wife both made 150K a year easily. My wife even scolded me for raising my voice and using choice language in doing so. How can people be so dense?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not taking advantage of the company match on a 401k is pissing away free money.

brownboyups

I am in the Central States plan and I am pretty sure its 3K a month at 30 years with $100 added for each year after 30. I really don't see myself working past 30 years even if I bump into feeders. There is just too much I want to do and too much of the world I want to go and see.

We (wife and I) will easily have everything paid off in the next 15 years. We'll help the kids a bit with college but its mostly on them (both her and I put ourselves through school and both know it will mean more to them if they do the lion's share themselves.) We live within our means. Which is why rat-holing(spelling?) away funds is so vital in my mind. When monies go into savings vehicles (401K, Roth 401K, DESPP, broker account, and now after tax 401K: hell I even set up an extra $5 per check with-held for fed tax just so I get a bigger check back the next year) before they hit our checking account it doesn't get spent. We see whats in the checking account, know the bills about to be due, and seem to spend all the rest. I told her we should never let the checking account go below 2K and it always seems to be right at 2K on Thursdays, go figure.

I am a 100% a divi investor also, with that being said, at some point I will have a small portion of the broker account that I "play" with for speculation gambles....thinking pink sheets only. Currenty I have high risk, high divi holdings, 10%+ yioelds. I imagine over time I'll lower that to a target of 5-7% yields.

It amazes me about how the majority of the population do not plan for later in life. We had all my inlaws over today for my oldest's conformation party. All my wife's sisters (5 total) and their families were running amok in and around my house (Catholic family so the number of kids was insane from, 16 years of age down to 9 month old babies). The conversation went to retirement and not one of them were involved in their company's 401K and not one had a pension/defined retirement plan except 1 (Cessna employee). What blew me away was the husband of the sister who worked (get this) in the financial wing at Cessna Aircraft works for a website design company that matched up to 10% in their 401K. I was totally stunned. I told him he was just pissing away free money. My wife told them what our retirement plans were and told them where we were at currently and everyone of them said they wish they were like her. I bet you next week's paycheck, not one of them will change a thing in the next year to plan for retirement. Maybe Mike-hopefully, who I blew up at for not taking advantage of a 10% match when him and his wife both made 150K a year easily. My wife even scolded me for raising my voice and using choice language in doing so. How can people be so dense?

how money works for the most part isn't taught in schools or in homes so people never understand how to save and invest
all you can control is your own family...your kids learn from you...make it a point to sit them down when old enough and
teach them how to get dividends (free money)

ANY CHILD THAT OPENS AND STARTS A SCOTTRADE ACCOUNT DOESN'T HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON DIVIDEND OR CAPITOL GAINS
UNTIL THERE 18...OPEN ACCOUNTS FOR YOUR KIDS ($500) TO OPEN...PUT ALL THEIR CHRISTMAS MONEY AND BIRTHDAY CASH
INTO THE SCOTTRADE ACCOUNT AND SHOW THEM THE DAYS DIVIDEND PAYS...BEST TEACHING TOOL FOR A LIFETIME OF FREE MONEY

with family and friends sometimes it's best to sit back and watch the parade

brownboyups

9pm...asian and australian markets open on bloomberg/cnbc world...i'm a junkie

Benben

Couldn't sleep, to many naps today.

NCT has a spinoff later this month. 1 share for every share of NCT. This on top of a 20+% divi increase announced, up to 9.4% yield at current market price. I do not know exactly what the spinoff will do to book value.

With the bull market firmly in place. I am thinking about adding TWO and NCT to capture the spinnoffs as well as the divis, should pay off at least in the short term. If both spinoffs become divi payors.....pure gravy. Now.....how to pay for the buys..........

brownboyups

RNO...won't declare dividend until April 15th-20th so the stock may be all over the place until then
todays low of $13.63 and closed at a high it hit twice $13.92...up +23 points
+$852.61 back into my account (3707 shares)

RCS...pissed me off...down 34 points today...-$500 in both my accounts...getting close to where i bought it...up +4% still + dividends
getting ready to pulled the plug and have $18k back into my trading account

two (past earnings chart isn't that good) dividends are off the chart
past i've owned...NLY...AGNC...RSO...own now AI and NYMT

brownboyups

check this out

RNO went down 42 points at the very end of the day and someone bought 22 points back very quickly (machines i think)
go to any chart and checkout the last minutes before 4pm

this is all noise until the dividend is announced unless the EPA makes changes to how coal is burned
i watch other coal stocks and NRP is doing fine

Benben

The DOW has never in its history had 9 days in a row of consecutive gains. Today (3/12) we are at 8. Man I am hoping for a sizable pull back accross the market. Even Cramer (the most diehard bull ever) said to not buy for a few days! I transferred $400 from checking to the broker account in anticipation of the buying oppertunities that might materailize.

RNO is gonna vacillate like a school girl on prom night (bad joke but its late.) Up-down-up. Even Google finance won't post its beta it is so hard to factor. I aggree with you, post-EX date means not much with this stock. Its the run up to divi that shows you the true vaule of this company.

I dug deeper into NCT ans found they sold damn near 1 billion in shares this year to finance their last 2 acquisitions (spelling is off but web dictionary just pissed me off) the 20% divi increase to $1.06 is split to 50 cents NCT and $.56 to the spin off (NRZ.) NRZ is going to have a huge repo charge on its books. The first deal of the year they bought HSBC for $3.4 billion. But the latest deal is for 1/3 intrest of a $310 billion portfolio.

Newcastle Investment's 20.4% Dividend Increase - Seeking Alpha Take a look and please give me your thoughts. Taking a bad-beat this early in my trading learning curve won't kill me so I am half tempted to roll the dice just for the education.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.

capture-20130313-060214.jpg

Distance from 200 day moving average. S&P 500.
capture-20130313-060214.jpg

brownboyups

The DOW has never in its history had 9 days in a row of consecutive gains. Today (3/12) we are at 8. Man I am hoping for a sizable pull back accross the market. Even Cramer (the most diehard bull ever) said to not buy for a few days! I transferred $400 from checking to the broker account in anticipation of the buying oppertunities that might materailize.

RNO is gonna vacillate like a school girl on prom night (bad joke but its late.) Up-down-up. Even Google finance won't post its beta it is so hard to factor. I aggree with you, post-EX date means not much with this stock. Its the run up to divi that shows you the true vaule of this company.

I dug deeper into NCT ans found they sold damn near 1 billion in shares this year to finance their last 2 acquisitions (spelling is off but web dictionary just pissed me off) the 20% divi increase to $1.06 is split to 50 cents NCT and $.56 to the spin off (NRZ.) NRZ is going to have a huge repo charge on its books. The first deal of the year they bought HSBC for $3.4 billion. But the latest deal is for 1/3 intrest of a $310 billion portfolio.

Newcastle Investment's 20.4% Dividend Increase - Seeking Alpha Take a look and please give me your thoughts. Taking a bad-beat this early in my trading learning curve won't kill me so I am half tempted to roll the dice just for the education.

NCT...passes all my tests...just have to watch interest rates rising...will always affect profits in these stocks

RNO...wild...low of $12.82...did the same exact thing when i bought it back in NOV. then rose 19% before ex date (hopefully does it again)
undervalued...down -$2,400...going to walk after the ex date with a profit and buy 58k of PSEC = $600 month dividend

bought today 936 shares of PSEC for a monthly dividend of $103 per month...2 months hopefully goes to $700

6 hours OT so far this week...averaging 9...174 stops 6 pick ups today...got a good week going
always hope to take $900 or more per week