UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

brownboyups

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

spent my last little bit of cash i had on 30 shares of ECT @$11.70...even at .30 cents every point i still can
make $20 per quarter and upside of $180 if stock goes $17.70 (worth $360)
ECT still down 25%

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

So you spent $535 (50*$10.70) just so that you could make an additional $11 ($10.70-$10.48=$.22 50*$.22)? Was it really worth it?

10.70 for a stock with a book value at $11.35 (.94), yes I think it was worth it. I had set my entry point at $11 and watched the stock for the past 3 weeks. Mis-lead on the divi date (think I'll use yahoo finance for awhile and see if I like it better than google )and pulled order. At lunch checked the market and thats when I checked the "research" on Merrill Edge. So my mistake saved me (11-10.70)*50=$15 and I still caught the .22 divi. $10.48 isn't accurate. I get charged $6.95 per trade so thats another .139 per share therefore my cost basis for 50 shares is $10.61 per.

What I find interesting is Merrill Lynch will list the cost basis for the stocks you buy. This price will include the $6.95 trade charge but will not factor in any dividends received to adjust the cost basis.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My point was you spent all that time and energy to make $11.

Most of us put their 401k's on auto-pilot for a reason----we have much better things to do with our time.

"Set it and forget it" is not just for rotisserie chicken.

Benben

I understand your point. I have 10% of my pay going into my 401K. I check its performance monthly. I got hammered on the International fund so I think monthly is about right. I also toss in $80 per check into the DESPP.

Right now its $11. Hopefully in 10 years it'll be more along the lines of $1,100.

I started the broker account when I got sick and tired of watching the savings accounts I started for my 2 boys earn all of 3-5 pennies a month in interest. Hard to teach the kids about saving when at the end of the year they make all of 50 cents. Besides, I do this mostly after putting the kids to bed and try to wind-down from the day. It's this or watch the boob-tube or drink. Maybe I need a new hobby?

brownboyups

RNO...nice burst of points today...up .35 (+2.61%) close $13.75 (announce dividend around 4-20-13 to 4-26-13)
still got a month of up and down

Gonzaga is going to take out the Wichita Shockers (sorry)...i bet online...best bet $500 on Obama $1,700 in my account
sorta know what i'm doing but (any thing can happen)
check out
wagerline dot com ...awesome office pools and other betting with fake money
i'm nysmoneyman

JOY GLOBAL is a watch...$58...going to $67

will post YTD 401k saturday...oh boy gonna be nice (+$1,700) friday

don't justify yourself to anyone

Benben

Wichita State.....we were surprised 3 Kansas teams got into the dance. But anyone from Kansas knows, in the fall its all about K-State. Come March the world revolves around the Jayhawks. I'll date myself here but my freshman year I was there with Danning Manning and the Miracles. The Frat house drained 30 kegs, I still remember running up the hill with the last of a Stroh's 30 pack and I actually handed a beer to a cop and he looked at me like, "really?" I didnt get busted....at least not for the beer that year. That year KU had the longest home winning streak in the nation. Duke came in and beat us. OU made Allen Field House their home away from home (beat us 3 times that year) and then K-state beat us. Tournament time: Great 8, KU KO'd K-state. Final 4- KU dunked Duke. Championship game-we outlasted OU. .....yes I have had a few drinks.

The Self vs. Williams story really needs to be the highlight this year. We'll see. I'd love to see Brown there giving his 2 cents.

Joy Global.....low divi. I am still not in a possition to speculate much. Started broker account in Aug with $1700. Merrill Edge account is now at $4.9K and change. I'll get there, but divi's are my life blood. Currently I have $150 in cash in the ME account. Influx of divi's next month, and hopefully a spin-off.

UPstate, again I understand the point you are making, "a'lotta work for $11." But my point of view is, "a'lotta work now, a'lotta play later." I have no desire to pay some putz to run another retirement account or make "educated" investement guess's. Thats why this thread is important to me, bouncing ideas of someone else. I refuse to accept only a 4% yearly investment gain, less fees when I think upser's can do so much better becuase we are not as dumb as many tend to think we are. We just need to share information.

brownboyups

will post weeks results for 401k every saturday (good...bad and the ugly)

YTD...+$15,064.71 (+12.48%)...S&P 500 (+11.78)
investments (+$10,050.06) + dividends (+5,014.65) = +$15,064.71 (power of dividends)
+$45,000 in 15 months (my bull run)
1 quarter down...3 more quarters of dividends to come

advice on RNO...sell before the dividend...i feel it is going to go up a lot and tank after the ex date
coal is hated...then use the
principle plus the money made to buy it again at a lower price after it
tanks

stocks i'm looking at
WY...weyerhaeuser co. (wood/lumber reit)
BGS...b&g foods (off brand grocery store products)
WPC...real estate

brownboyups

I was wrong...Wichita Shockers takes down Gonzaga...Wow...march madness

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

401K up $26,000 so far this quarter. Never looked at it.

Benben

I am up just a tad over 8% for the year in the 401K(1 week left in the quarter.)

WSU has alot of seniors. It will be interesting to see how they play against a defensive team. I watched most the game and they won on the 3-pointers. I do not think I have seen a game this year that had more offensive rebounds from the losing team. I think WSU is a team that is easily defended against once studied and appropriate pressure applied

RNO will run up for the divi. Here's my thoughts from looking at many charts on many divi stocks: At the opening bell the stock drops the amount of the divi. Right after the opening bell on a divi stock the price goes back up to almost the previous day's close/after hours price. It then tanks well below the divi adjusted price for days to weeks as the market punishes a divi paying stock. I think I am gonna set a sell order at 1/4 the price of the divi below the close price of the previous day.

For example, if RNO declares a $1.00 divi (dream I know but easy number crunching) ex-date of April 30 payable for share holders of record on May,3 with a closing price of $15 on April 29th. I set a sell order for $14.75 at 8AM on April 30th.
In my mind or this experiment I should catch the run up for the divi and 75% of the divi minus the $6.95 trade charge. Again folks don't jump my ass I am still learning here and playing with chump change compared to be where I'll be in 10 years. Learning curves suck but are a necessary evil.

Benben

please, in this market if you you don't have a positive ROI you need to be shot.

Yes, you can "set it and forget it." I'll aggree on that if you will aggree that the bull run will not last indifinately.

So, to protect the gains from Q1 2013, what is your plan? Not being an ass here, just learning. Do you check monthly, quarterly, 2x yearly or yearly. Let the Q1 gains mesh with all the results from the next 3 quarters whatever those maybe?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have 25% of my pre-tax pay going in to my traditional 401k. I am 100% invested in the Bright Horizons 2025 Fund. Even though I will be retiring in 2019, I chose the BH 2025 as the BH funds tend to be aggressive early on and then become more conservative the closer you get to your target date. I also have a Roth 401k through Edwards Jones which is 100% invested in AIVSX. Both the 401k and Roth are up significantly for the YTD. I meet with my financial adviser regularly----we look at where we are, where we need to be, how to get there and adjust accordingly.

I will admit that having a $5K/month pension waiting for me in 2019 and paying $300/month extra toward the principle on my condo to ensure that it will be paid off when I retire gives me the freedom to not have to do what you and brown boy are doing.

I will also admit that I would have to take a tutorial to understand what you and brown boy are doing and would rather pay EJ $40/year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I have 25% of my pre-tax pay going in to my traditional 401k. I am 100% invested in the Bright Horizons 2025 Fund. Even though I will be retiring in 2019, I chose the BH 2025 as the BH funds tend to be aggressive early on and then become more conservative the closer you get to your target date. I also have a Roth 401k through Edwards Jones which is 100% invested in AIVSX. Both the 401k and Roth are up significantly for the YTD. I meet with my financial adviser regularly----we look at where we are, where we need to be, how to get there and adjust accordingly.

I will admit that having a $5K/month pension waiting for me in 2019 and paying $300/month extra toward the principle on my condo to ensure that it will be paid off when I retire gives me the freedom to not have to do what you and brown boy are doing.

I will also admit that I would have to take a tutorial to understand what you and brown boy are doing and would rather pay EJ $40/year.

I have heard Dave Ramsey talk about this market fund. (Clark Howard as well)

Is that where you got the idea?

I was a saver until February. Now is the time to leverage up, withdrawal the 401K, buy a boat, go to Vegas, because 8 years to retirement is a long time.

Benben

I sat down with an EJ associate in January and wasn't moved much at all. I have since met a few others while working and talked with them a bit. I think Edward Jones/financial planners is much like most professions. You have some that are so-so and some that are great. If you found a great one I am jealous.

I looked up AIVSX, most recent Lipper rating (Jan'13) listed as a 2 for total return. YTD return is 8.03% but how does the front load of 5.75% figure in? Is the 5.75% a bite out of the 8% or is it a 1 time fee getting in? Much like putting in $5K they take their $300, you start with $4,700 and then the YTD starts getting figured? I don't understand mutual funds much which is sad considering most my savings are in funds with both 401K's (mine and the wife's.) I can see their % fees, and their returns for the past 3-5 years. But I do not know much more than that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The 5.75% fee is paid upfront with the initial buy and for each subsequent transaction.

brownboyups

RNO...monday selloff...tuesday bounce back (3:59pm went from +.12 to +.19)
closed at $13.58...still got 28 working days of ups and downs until .445 cent distribution announced

stocks that i'm watching...all solid dividend payers
BMO (bank of montreal)
WPC (office leasing)
TAP (molson/coors)
BCE (canadian telecom)
HME (owns/operates/buys/rehabs apartment communities)
HI (death pays)...this one is only going higher...never going out of business

PSEC (under $11.00...1st time in a few months) sector got a down grade...on sale

not looking forward to the market being closed friday

Last edited: