UPS/Teamsters Insurance question

roblejant

I called Teamsters to see what my effective date would be for my Kaiser insurance, and they said it would be after some contributions were made. what does that mean? yes, I am a new employee, take it easy.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@roblejant, I'm guessing you are are a part time employee, coming up on your 1 year anniversary of working there, is that correct?

It means the company has not been making payments to the Teamster Fund for you to have insurance coverage, yet (this 1 year wait was negotiated into the union contract back in 2007). Your best source of information of how it works where you are will probably be some coworkers who recently passed the 1 year mark/got their insurance. Around here, you would get a large enrollment packet in the mail a few weeks before, with ID cards; with that packet, it's easier to find out what specific date your insurance coverage is active. There might be some basic info about it if you log in and search UPSERS<.>COM. Make sure the company has your correct address (on your paystub or at UPSERS<.>COM).

roblejant

@roblejant, I'm guessing you are are a part time employee, coming up on your 1 year anniversary of working there, is that correct?

It means the company has not been making payments to the Teamster Fund for you to have insurance coverage, yet (this 1 year wait was negotiated into the union contract back in 2007). Your best source of information of how it works where you are will probably be some coworkers who recently passed the 1 year mark/got their insurance. Around here, you would get a large enrollment packet in the mail a few weeks before, with ID cards; with that packet, it's easier to find out what specific date your insurance coverage is active. There might be some basic info about it if you log in and search UPSERS<.>COM. Make sure the company has your correct address (on your paystub or at UPSERS<.>COM).

I just passed my 1 year anniversary about a week ago. I received the packet about insurance, and I already filled it out and sent it back to them. They said for my effective date it would be when UPS sends some "contributions" how long will this take?

By The Book

I just passed my 1 year anniversary about a week ago. I received the packet about insurance, and I already filled it out and sent it back to them. They said for my effective date it would be when UPS sends some "contributions" how long will this take?
I think at some point the Union has to follow their own contract. What I'm saying is that the union should honor what's written in the contract not what's not written in the contract. Be patient I guess.

rod

Retired 22 years
It all used to be so simple---work 90 days--- you're up to full pay scale ---with insurance. Things sure have went in the crapper as far as benefits go..

Box Ox

There's no excuse for that. Your insurance needs to be good to go from day one of eligibility. Contact your local asap. You worked hard to earn it and could need it any time. More immediately important than pay to me.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am curious. You had someone from the union on the phone. You asked a question, they answered, you did not understand and could not ask a follow up question???

Was there a limit to the number of questions you would ask??

Was that limit 1??

ManInBrown

I am curious. You had someone from the union on the phone. You asked a question, they answered, you did not understand and could not ask a follow up question???

Was there a limit to the number of questions you would ask??

Was that limit 1??
Bingo. Has a representative on the phone. Decides instead of asking them, let me go to a message board with a bunch of strangers from a 100 different locals with different rules and ask them instead. Lol