UPS, Teamsters to Restructure New England Pension Plan

btg1972

most people don't realize that that are pensions are actually paid for by ups but put into a "pool" This pool includes several if not dozens of companies who use these funds as well as there own that they contribute. UPS is by far the largest contributor to this "pool". For example let's say Yellow freight pays into this pool, well they use the funds in this pool to pay for the pensions of their own people. Let's say yellow freight goes out of business next year. (not unheard of today). Well if that happens ups contributed funds still have to help pay for the pensions of employees who have retired from a businees that no longer exists, while that business no longer has to because it doesn't exist. This proposal is for ups to break away from that pool,( not sure if totally or partially ) to ensure that the money they put in goes to us and not to other pensions from other companies. i agree. However, Our NE contract is up next year and it would not surprise me if they use this in negotiations to say "look at what we have done we are protecting your future more so maybe you don't need such a big raise". Stay tuned.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We are having a meeting tonight to go over the changes in the pension. My BA has briefed me on it and it does truly seem like a win / win situation for UPS and Teamsters.
I would suggest researching and drawing your own conclusions, rather than lap up what B.A. says, verbatim. lol

oldupsman

most people don't realize that that are pensions are actually paid for by ups but put into a "pool" This pool includes several if not dozens of companies who use these funds as well as there own that they contribute. UPS is by far the largest contributor to this "pool". For example let's say Yellow freight pays into this pool, well they use the funds in this pool to pay for the pensions of their own people. Let's say yellow freight goes out of business next year. (not unheard of today). Well if that happens ups contributed funds still have to help pay for the pensions of employees who have retired from a businees that no longer exists, while that business no longer has to because it doesn't exist. This proposal is for ups to break away from that pool,( not sure if totally or partially ) to ensure that the money they put in goes to us and not to other pensions from other companies. i agree. However, Our NE contract is up next year and it would not surprise me if they use this in negotiations to say "look at what we have done we are protecting your future more so maybe you don't need such a big raise". Stay tuned.
Well of course they're going to use that in contract talks next year. So what? Then the choice is yours. Do you want more money now or more money later?
Yes UPS makes a boatload of money. But the pot of gold is not unlimited.What is the downside to having UPS involved in the pension fund?
Do I want them in full control of it? Of course not. But how have the Teamsters done managing our pension funds?
The joint 401k system has worked just fine. Why can't the same be done with the pension?

NHDRVR

I am more comfortable with the pension, although I don't know the specifics, in a 'joint' environment, than I was last week. I would love to design my own plan, lol, but I can only think the future is better than 48% funded....nobody felt safe with that

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
[video=youtube;OaiSHcHM0PA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

browniehound

. Look at what UPS pays out in your name to the pension fund. Show it to a financial advisor of what has been contributed. Then show them what they are offering. The financial advisors will easily tell you that you are getting screwed.

I've thought this the first day I read what UPS pays in my name. I've always believed if UPS just paid me into my 401K what they contribute to the pension fund on my behalf + what I contribute on my own, I'd be a multi-millionare by age 59.5. I'd actually give up a pay-raise for a couple of years for a 5% match in my 401k by UPS. Who wouldn't?

UPSGUY72

I'll keep my pension and invest in my 401 K as a bonus. A pension is basically guaranteed money thanks to the government Benefits . Your 401 K is not is the market tanks tomorrow could loss alot and it would take year to build the value back up... You don't have to worry about that with a pension... If UPS went bankrupt tomorrow and you are vested you would still get a pension when it came time for you to collect...

What'dyabringmetoday???

I'll keep my pension and invest in my 401 K as a bonus. A pension is basically guaranteed money thanks to the government Benefits . Your 401 K is not is the market tanks tomorrow could loss alot and it would take year to build the value back up... You don't have to worry about that with a pension... If UPS went bankrupt tomorrow and you are vested you would still get a pension when it came time for you to collect...
I hope you don't really believe what you are posting here. If UPS goes bankrupt, there is likely no chance of getting any sort of pension. Say what you will about the PBGC, but how long do you think that will last? Pension funds do run out of money. Considering the way things are lately, do you really want to count on the government to step in and take care of it? Even if the PBGC were to stay afloat, you certainly will not see the money you expected from your pension fund. (this is not meant to start an argument, just some opinions)

TheKid

I hope you don't really believe what you are posting here. If UPS goes bankrupt, there is likely no chance of getting any sort of pension. Say what you will about the PBGC, but how long do you think that will last? Pension funds do run out of money. Considering the way things are lately, do you really want to count on the government to step in and take care of it? Even if the PBGC were to stay afloat, you certainly will not see the money you expected from your pension fund. (this is not meant to start an argument, just some opinions)

Do you really think there is a possibility that UPS will go bankrupt ? Seriously ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And the things we continuously complain about as employees are the side-effects of the changes necessary to ensure UPS does not go the way of these other companies.

We will see.
I'm sure those "other companies" thought they were making prudent decisions, only to watch them blow up and drive their company into the ground.
The decision making process that lead us through the majority of the first hundred years have been pushed aside for this new strategy.
I'm not so sure that we aren't leveraging our future in the midst of an instant gradification mindset that plagues this country, especially in regards to stock.
It is no longer good enough to well.
We have to continually do better than the quarter before.
This is an unsustainable business model.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How is it a sellout ?
. . . and who is selling out ?
Are you being sarcastic? Maybe read my post again. lol
Do you really believe union "bosses" wants people to know the real issues? Do you think the union wants members informed on choices that these cronies would decide for us, if they could? Why is it that a member must attend a meeting to vote?

I am not trying to sway your opinion, at all, which is why I say, draw your own conclusions , instead of whatever the phony BA, or anyone else is selling.