UPS terminology

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Pickles, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Pickles

Pickles Member

Why is a "salt" called a salt?

I understand "feeder" but think it's dumb.
  2. samiam

samiam I wish, there for I am?

"Salt" is a box that the supe puts on a belt or a truck that does not belong to see if the sorter, loader, driver, ect. catches it. It is a 'you f'ed up and didn't find that box' box. It is a way to see if you are reading the lables as the box goes through the system. If you miss it they give you crap, make you feel bad, then write you up for it. THEY ADD SALT TO A WOUND. JMO
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  3. Pickles

Pickles Member

Sorry, I should be more clear. I know what they are. Just want to know how they came up with it. It's funny to hear new people call them "assaults".
  4. upscorpis

upscorpis New Member

SALT = Service Awareness Label Training
  5. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

It is an archaic term, from the gold mining days.
    One would sprinkle gold dust or actually shoot the walls of a worthless mine with a shotgun loaded with tiny gold nuggets. Then, sell the rights to the mine to an unsuspecting greenhorn.
    It was called salting because you just sprinkled it around like salt and the greenhorn would take the bait.
    salting= deception

6. Pickles

Pickles Member

Very interesting. Thanks! I've wondered that for 12 years now.

BLACKBOX Life is a Highway...

8. Leftinbuilding

Leftinbuilding Active Member

Curious. Why is "feeder" "dumb"?
  9. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

"salting= deception"

Are you suggesting that our highly ethical management team engages in deceptive tactics????
  10. DS

DS Fenderbender

upscorpis...I believe this is the true reason ups calls it thus.
    My question is,if you find a pkg in your load that does not belong,what idiot would'nt scan it?Theres several other non delivery reasons to key it in,plus its a free stop!I like the gold mine analogy though.
  11. satellitedriver

Originally Posted by upscorpis
    SALT = Service Awareness Label Training

You are right DS, but it is not only an acronym, it is also an apronym.
    The double-enterdre caught my eye first.
  12. satellitedriver

just sneaky ones.
  13. satellitedriver

14. satellitedriver

Never heard that expression.
    Let me think for a while and I can probably come up with a plausible BS answer.
  15. Pickles

Pickles Member

Feeder just means you're feeding packages from one hub to another. Correct? It's just difficult to try to explain to non upsers that it just mean semi driver pretty much.
  16. The-UK-Guy

The-UK-Guy Tea anyone ?

you say tomato I say tomato doesnt quite have the same ring when typed does it
  17. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

In Houston frontage roads leading to the on ramp are called feeder roads
  18. diesel96

diesel96 New Member

I drive with a "semi" listening to the Playboy Channel (Sirius Sat.) driving trailers from hub to hub.:tongue_sm
  19. satellitedriver

Why do they grill a "toe-may-toe", I am from Texas and thats the way we say it, on a proper English breakfast? I loved the beans, mushrooms, eggs, bacon, toast, but not the way they treat a "toe-may-toe".
    It is a fruit, warming one side of a slice does not inhance the flavor, IMHO.
  20. The-UK-Guy

The-UK-Guy Tea anyone ?

I belive its because the tomato doesnt have much flavour of its own , so if you fry it up with the left over greece from the mushrooms black pudding eggs bacon bangers bread and beans it gets a unique greecey taste. I think we eat them for breakfast because every wanna be gardner in england grows tomatoes ( they grow easily in the uk) and you can only eat so many cheese and tomato sarnys (sandwitches) so as not to waste them we have incorporated them into our full English Breakfast . Well thats my theory anyway. They do go good with the bacon at least.