Ups testing delivering ground on saturdays

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
It gives you more options... Tues-Sat with Sun-Mon off.. Why not have that as an option?

Done through the usual biding/seniority process.

Some are getting their pants in a wad over nothing in my opinion. There will be more options. Imagine having Mondays off where you can get things done that you cannot on the weekend.

Instead of looking at this like a negative look at the opportunities.

Besides that if Saturday's don't become the norm and Sunday's are just around the corner... Then you won't be competitive.

If you're not competitive... Well... Nice knowing you.....

It is not that complicated.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It gives you more options... Tues-Sat with Sun-Mon off.. Why not have that as an option?

Some are getting their pants in a wad over nothing in my opinion. There will be more options. Imagine having Mondays off where you can get things done that you cannot on the weekend.

Besides that if Saturday's don't become the norm and Sunday's are just around the corner... Then you won't be competitive.

You brainwashed management zombie!
Eat my brains!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

Sundays were lazy and Mondays were great days off for me back when I worked for USPS.

Got a lot of appointments and easy stuff done when others were at work on Mondays.

Box Ox

Imagine having Mondays off where you can get things done that you cannot on the weekend.

This was my initial reaction. But then I thought about how it might also limit interaction with friends and family who work M-friend even more.

kingOFchester

The bright side,

Having full time drivers delivering on Saturday means: come Mondays, I won't have the 5-10 Saturday air stops that somehow the Saturday air drivers were unable to leave on a doorstep.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The bright side,

Having full time drivers delivering on Saturday means: come Mondays, I won't have the 5-10 Saturday air stops that somehow the Saturday air drivers were unable to leave on a doorstep.

...or the retail Saturday air that the driver couldn't be bothered to "make the extra effort" to get rid of, either by indirecting or bringing it to customer service (Walmart)...

Johney

Being competitive went out the window long ago, if it didn't then service wouldn't have gone down the tubes with all the carriers. Every carrier knows that there is more than enough volume to go around and no one company could ever handle it all and they all know that.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You guys are forgetting one big thing. They are testing saturdays based on the volume we get now. This is with no advertising put out. If they open saturday it is going to be advertised and part of the packages. I am sure it will be some kind of premium price.

worldwide

You guys are forgetting one big thing. They are testing saturdays based on the volume we get now. This is with no advertising put out. If they open saturday it is going to be advertised and part of the packages. I am sure it will be some kind of premium price.

Considering UPS' primary competitors for Sat. ground (FedEx Ground & USPS) do not charge extra for Sat. delivery, how will UPS be able to command a premium price? UPS NDA for Sat. delivery already has a surcharge as does FedEx Express, so nothing to change there. Consumers are demanding Sat. delivery for ground shipments and UPS is the outlier by not offering it. FedEx Home Delivery constantly touts that offering Sat. delivery for ground as a major service advantage over UPS.

Times change and companies that don't change to accommodate consumers needs lose market share and revenue. It's about time UPS offers this option. Since UPS typically rolls out new services at the start of the year, it's likely Sat. delivery for ground will become a standard service offering in Jan. 2017.

Johney

Considering UPS' primary competitors for Sat. ground (FedEx Ground & USPS) do not charge extra for Sat. delivery, how will UPS be able to command a premium price? UPS NDA for Sat. delivery already has a surcharge as does FedEx Express, so nothing to change there. Consumers are demanding Sat. delivery for ground shipments and UPS is the outlier by not offering it. FedEx Home Delivery constantly touts that offering Sat. delivery for ground as a major service advantage over UPS.

Times change and companies that don't change to accommodate consumers needs lose market share and revenue. It's about time UPS offers this option. Since UPS typically rolls out new services at the start of the year, it's likely Sat. delivery for ground will become a standard service offering in Jan. 2017.
Will Saturday be run just like a Mon-Fri operation? Will they then no longer have a premium NDA Saturday package? If so would that likely steal Saturday volume from FedEx? How will it effect feeder and hub operation's? Volume that shows up Fri night Sat morning is for Monday. Some show up on Sunday night Monday morning. Now you've taken a big chunk out of your Monday volume. What about all the closed business parks on the weekend, yet one or two are there? Will it be strictly residential on Saturday?

worldwide

Will Saturday be run just like a Mon-Fri operation? Will they then no longer have a premium NDA Saturday package? If so would that likely steal Saturday volume from FedEx? How will it effect feeder and hub operation's? Volume that shows up Fri night Sat morning is for Monday. Some show up on Sunday night Monday morning. Now you've taken a big chunk out of your Monday volume. What about all the closed business parks on the weekend, yet one or two are there? Will it be strictly residential on Saturday?

I have no idea what UPS' plans are but if you look at what already exists in the market (i.e. FedEx Ground/Home Delivery), I would expect that Saturday will be just another day for UPS. NDA for Sat. delivery will still command a premium as it does now since it has a time commitment (just like FedEx Express). FedEx Ground is collapsing more FedEx Home Delivery operations into their own so it appears they want to have one unified ground operation. FedEx Ground does not operate on Saturdays to commercial destinations so if UPS were to do so and offer both commercial and residential delivery on Saturday, it would be a competitive advantages. The majority of retail customers are open on Saturday and UPS could gain volume from FedEx Ground by offering 6 days/week service for commercial destinations. There are certainly many non-retail customers that are closed on Saturday so they could present a challenge.

Perhaps Saturday ground will strictly be for residential destinations with certain exceptions for large retail customers that have Sat. delivery as part of a negotiated agreement, and at a premium price since FedEx Ground does not operate on Saturdays as part of a regular service.

Time will tell...

air_dr

I can see where simply getting to packages which can be successfully delivered on Sat in a mixed pile can be a real challenge in some instances. If a route has a certain business that receives a large shipment daily but is only open M-friend, what do you do on Sat morning with that large pile of boxes that would normally go down the aisle bricking out the package car if it can't be unloaded early or even at all, giving the driver room to move around the truck and sort and line up deliveries.