Ups testing delivering ground on saturdays

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would occasionally be perfectly willing to trade a Saturday for a Monday, it would be convenient for scheduling doctors appointments, DMV, and other weekday errands.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I would occasionally be perfectly willing to trade a Saturday for a Monday, it would be convenient for scheduling doctors appointments, DMV, and other weekday errands.
Ya but those Monday holidays can really screw up your plans .
Besides while everyone else gets a 3 day weekend , you'll only get your normal two .
There was a time when I just didn't show up on the Tuesday after a Monday holiday, I told them I wanted a 3 day weekend too. Their reply was but you get paid for the extra day. I told them I needed the time off, screw the money.

browncowboy

Saturday air drivers have laguage in the contract. Art.40, two divisions have tried Saturday ground, one in Minneapolis and in Oregon. Both don't have the technology to pull it off. So.cal has this, yet still difficult to get it up and running, no one with a hire date before 2011 will have to work a Tuesday- Saturday. No one with a bid route Monday-Friday will have to work Saturday, unless they sign up for 6th day. Cover drivers can work Tuesday- Saturday, but under current contract must get Saturday at top driver rate. Know your contract, they need to roll the sure post that goes to the post office to Saturday delivery by a UPS driver. Air still done by air driver. Bring in loaders for 6th day at time and one half. Hire more full time, from part time to full time list and yes, Saturday will work. Under current contract, 6th day punch for top senior drivers will be available on a volenteer basis.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Saturday air drivers have laguage in the contract. Art.40, two divisions have tried Saturday ground, one in Minneapolis and in Oregon. Both don't have the technology to pull it off. So.cal has this, yet still difficult to get it up and running, no one with a hire date before 2011 will have to work a Tuesday- Saturday. No one with a bid route Monday-Friday will have to work Saturday, unless they sign up for 6th day. Cover drivers can work Tuesday- Saturday, but under current contract must get Saturday at top driver rate. Know your contract, they need to roll the sure post that goes to the post office to Saturday delivery by a UPS driver. Air still done by air driver. Bring in loaders for 6th day at time and one half. Hire more full time, from part time to full time list and yes, Saturday will work. Under current contract, 6th day punch for top senior drivers will be available on a volenteer basis.
Correct but the contract is up soon.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This will be a dispatcher issue and likely a ton of work for said person. Tagging said addresses for hold and having them diverted to a retain trailer as opposed to running it into cars. Likely a logistical nightmare for centers sent down from some IE geek in a cubicle 1000 miles away.
It's not like you have to do some high level of work week after week. You put it in a base plan and run it the Saturday after Saturday.

We manage to have known closed on Fridays for doctors offices without an issue. But because we're going to run on a Saturday it's all of a sudden a problem?

Johney

It's not like you have to do some high level of work week after week. You put it in a base plan and run it the Saturday after Saturday.

We manage to have known closed on Fridays for doctors offices without an issue. But because we're going to run on a Saturday it's all of a sudden a problem?
Base plan yea uh-huh and they always work the first time right? Yea just like the one closed business at a place that has 20 business stops yet they all some how get held. No you're right my bad I see no problems at all. SMH.
Try and remind yourself that some centers have more than 10 cars.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Base plan yea uh-huh and they always work the first time right? Yea just like the one closed business at a place that has 20 business stops yet they all some how get held. No you're right my bad I see no problems at all. SMH.
Try and remind yourself that some centers have more than 10 cars.
Did I say they would work the first time?

Not everything works the first time. It's a new experience for everyone at this company. Will there be issues? Of course. But I can't figure out why everybody on this board thinks it's some outrageous unachievable thing.

And I'm not thinking about a 10 car center. Why would I want to dispatch someone with a ton of closed? That's not a small center thing. That's a companywide thing.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Did I say they would work the first time?

Not everything works the first time. It's a new experience for everyone at this company. Will there be issues? Of course. But I can't figure out why everybody on this board thinks it's some outrageous unachievable thing.

And I'm not thinking about a 10 car center. Why would I want to dispatch someone with a ton of closed? That's not a small center thing. That's a companywide thing.

I'm old enough to remember the "tragedy" of the first diad... You're not going to take my sheets/paper away.

Change is hard for some and even harder for others... :D

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm old enough to remember the "tragedy" of the first diad... You're not going to take my sheets/paper away.

I don't think anybody is expecting perfection. But Jesus, you'd think we were planning on building a habitat on Mars based on this thread.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I just don't want some on-call situation developing on Sunday. I suspect they would claim somehow the 4 hours guarantee doesn't apply.

oldngray

nowhere special

DIAD 1 was a piece of crap but UPS made a lot of claims about how great they were anyway.

The big advantage was for tracking. Even at that time UPS didn't try to claim it was faster. "Just as fast" as paper.

Serious reliability issues with early DIADs also (which UPS tried to pretend didn't happen).