UPS The Awful Truth

JL 0513

Video has some laughs but I'm curious at what the problem was. Mainly, the only full time positions within centers are drivers outside of management. How Could 2,000 FT jobs be created that often? They were talking about the package handlers. PT package handlers go full time very seldom as we all know. Simple economics. Like every business in the world, a position created requires the work to be there. The profits have nothing to do with it. A business runs on as few employees they can to accomplish what is needed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Fun video about UPS!
From 2007 it appaers.

It's from the strike time....monkey ass probably knows the people in the video.... Nice vest.... Are you a frickin banker...lol. Then the dufus who can't talk and needs some water....omg... These guys are so fing out of touch with the average worker it's sick ....

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think I saw monkey butt in the background in one of the offices.... At first observation it looks like he was working , but after careful examination he was only spinning around in his 1200 dollar leather chair..probably laughing at Norman and making farting sounds..

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Video has some laughs but I'm curious at what the problem was. Mainly, the only full time positions within centers are drivers outside of management. How Could 2,000 FT jobs be created that often? They were talking about the package handlers. PT package handlers go full time very seldom as we all know. Simple economics. Like every business in the world, a position created requires the work to be there. The profits have nothing to do with it. A business runs on as few employees they can to accomplish what is needed.
You don't understand any of the context, so your post doesn't make sense. The FT jobs were guaranteed in the 1997 contract that UPS agreed to. AKA "22.3 jobs" UPS tried to loophole their way out of creating the jobs. From my understanding, the whole thing went to a panel and UPS lost.
There is no "extra work" to create FT jobs. The idea is to have two part-time jobs put together to make one FT job..it's very simple and UPS has been doing it for almost 20 years, since.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You don't understand any of the context, so your post doesn't make sense. The FT jobs were guaranteed in the 1997 contract that UPS agreed to. AKA "22.3 jobs" UPS tried to loophole their way out of creating the jobs. From my understanding, the whole thing went to a panel and UPS lost.
There is no "extra work" to create FT jobs. The idea is to have two part-time jobs put together to make one FT job..it's very simple and UPS has been doing it for almost 20 years, since.
Did ups ever get to that 10000 number that they promised????

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's from the strike time....monkey ass probably knows the people in the video.... Nice vest.... Are you a frickin banker...lol. Then the dufus who can't talk and needs some water....omg... These guys are so fing out of touch with the average worker it's sick ....
Ken Sternad - Retired - Doing the talking
Norman Black - Standing in background

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The FT jobs were guaranteed in the 1997 contract that UPS agreed to. AKA "22.3 jobs" UPS tried to loophole their way out of creating the jobs.

The company's claim (at the time) was business suffered because of the strike....

And the language allowed them not to create the 22.3 jobs.

From my understanding, the whole thing went to a panel and UPS lost.

It was deadlocked at the National Panel, and went in to arbitration.

The first 22.3 people were awarded back pay, and a back-dated seniority date.

(if I am remembering everything correctly)

-Bug-

Norman Black - Standing in background

Wasn't he their main mouth piece, for like years ?

Inthegame

The company's claim (at the time) was business suffered because of the strike....
And the language allowed them not to create the 22.3 jobs.
It was deadlocked at the National Panel, and went in to arbitration.
The first 22.3 people were awarded back pay, and a back-dated seniority date.
(if I am remembering everything correctly)
-Bug-
Your memory is fine.
On Feb 11, 2000, Arbitrator George Nicolau ruled UPS in violation of Art 22.3 for failing to create 2000 full time jobs from Aug 1, '97 - July 31, '98. The award ("First Year Agreement")included a make whole remedy with back pay from awarded bid to Aug 1, '98, with back dated seniority.
On Mar 10, 2000 the same arbitrator issued the "Second Year Agreement" award (ordering an additional 2000 ft jobs created) with make whole remedy commencing on Aug 1 '99 to awarded bid date.
Case # AAA 13 300 1908 98

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your memory is fine.
On Feb 11, 2000, Arbitrator George Nicolau ruled UPS in violation of Art 22.3 for failing to create 2000 full time jobs from Aug 1, '97 - July 31, '98. The award ("First Year Agreement")included a make whole remedy with back pay from awarded bid to Aug 1, '98, with back dated seniority.
On Mar 10, 2000 the same arbitrator issued the "Second Year Agreement" award (ordering an additional 2000 ft jobs created) with make whole remedy commencing on Aug 1 '99 to awarded bid date.
Case # AAA 13 300 1908 98

We have several here who benefited greatly from the First Year Agreement.