UPS To Exit NASCAR

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

According to an article on upsers.com:

UPS’s status as the Official Logistics Partner of NASCAR, which includes the trackside services program, will come to an end at the close of the 2014 season. Additionally, its motorsports sponsorship with Roush Fenway Racing (RFR) and driver Carl Edwards also will expire.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Have you ever thought why so many other large companies do it? If it wasn't worth why are they doing it? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its wrong.
For some brands it's worth it. Rednecks aka NASCAR fans are some of the most brand loyal fans out there it's crazy. How many of them are large shippers and use ups? Likely not many. It's one thing if bubba drinks a 12 pack a day and you want him to drink your beer. It's another thing if he ships two packages a year.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Nascar sponsorship works if you can stick with a great driver.

Jeff Gordon - Dupont
Still connect Tony Stewart with Home Depot ( though its now Logano)

No one here can say UPS-Dale Jarrett didn't work. He was past his prime but the partnership worked perfectly.

oldngray

nowhere special
For some brands it's worth it. Rednecks aka NASCAR fans are some of the most brand loyal fans out there it's crazy. How many of them are large shippers and use ups? Likely not many. It's one thing if bubba drinks a 12 pack a day and you want him to drink your beer. It's another thing if he ships two packages a year.

Bubba would ship more or order NASCAR merchandise if he hadn't been laid off from the rendering plant. Now all he has money for is a cheap 12 pack. Or is he is really desperate, a measly 6 pack.

Nice stereotyping.

So Brownie, what's your worthy form of sports entertainment?
And, what would be a better forum for our marketing dollars?

I was going to be a smartazz and say UPS was leaving nascar because going down and hanging a left was too much for our logistics team to plan out successfully.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And, what would be a better forum for our marketing dollars?

Could it be that we have reached the saturation point and that there are no additional markets left for us to invest our advertising dollars in? Locally, we sponsor the Syracuse Orange basketball teams. A local driver "delivers" the game ball to the referee before every home game. We also have advertising banners throughout the Carrier Dome.

Is it possible to further increase our brand awareness?

Notretiredyet

For years the NASCAR sponsorship was bringing in more money in thru sales of licensed apparel and model cars than it was spending. That will never happen with F1 and college football, to many hands already taking pieces of that pie. Have you ever seen a jersey with a logo on it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then where should we spend this advertising money Mr Marketing expert

Advertising is designed to expand brand awareness. Is there really anyone anywhere on the planet who doesn't recognize this ?

I would suspend any further major advertising expenditures. There is no better advertising for our company than our drivers and package cars. Wash them more than once a month and lessen the work load for our drivers. "Word of mouth" advertising is free and can be either beneficial or detrimental.

I used to follow NASCAR when we sponsored Dale Jarrett. I couldn't tell you (or care) who we currently sponsor