UPS To Exit NASCAR

Is it stereotyping if true? NASCAR has a very narrow demographic. That's just a fact.

If you don't like nascar say so. But the pulling facts out of your bum statement is incorrect. You're thinking the nascar of 30 years ago. The nascar of today is nationwide and followed by all demographics.

They might as well pull out as the folks in charge of were the marketing dollars were spent did about as well as the rest of the folks doing any planning do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Could it be that we have reached the saturation point and that there are no additional markets left for us to invest our advertising dollars in? Locally, we sponsor the Syracuse Orange basketball teams. A local driver "delivers" the game ball to the referee before every home game. We also have advertising banners throughout the Carrier Dome.

Is it possible to further increase our brand awareness?
Considering I get confused with FedEx and the postal service almost on a daily basis..... Maybe brand awareness isn't as high as we like to think.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you don't like nascar say so. But the pulling facts out of your bum statement is incorrect. You're thinking the nascar of 30 years ago. The nascar of today is nationwide and followed by all demographics.

They might as well pull out as the folks in charge of were the marketing dollars were spent did about as well as the rest of the folks doing any planning do.
There's a lot more facts where that came from. If you want to take a look around.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
UPS has seen the handwriting on the wall with NASCAR. As the FAN base continues to diminish year over year, and advertisers spending less on NASCAR, UPS knows that its wasting more money than it can possibly see in returned revenue.

NASCAR is dead and its close to losing its top television spots and moving to smaller cable networks.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/10/how-nascar-is-coping-with-its-slipping-audience/

Despite its past popularity, the racing has become boring and its "star base" all but gone, leaving the sport with a bunch of no name drivers who have no curb appeal as did Dale Earnhart, Terry Lobonte, Bobby Lobonte, etc etc etc..

These drivers could hold an audience, but todays drivers cant fill the stands.

Most of the Nascar tracks are losing money at every race as stands sit empty and merchandise goes unsold.

UPS is smart enough to bail out before it goes down with the ship.

Pretty simple stuff.

TOS

UPS has seen the handwriting on the wall with NASCAR. As the FAN base continues to diminish year over year, and advertisers spending less on NASCAR, UPS knows that its wasting more money than it can possibly see in returned revenue.

NASCAR is dead and its close to losing its top television spots and moving to smaller cable networks.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/10/how-nascar-is-coping-with-its-slipping-audience/

Despite its past popularity, the racing has become boring and its "star base" all but gone, leaving the sport with a bunch of no name drivers who have no curb appeal as did Dale Earnhart, Terry Lobonte, Bobby Lobonte, etc etc etc..

These drivers could hold an audience, but todays drivers cant fill the stands.

Most of the Nascar tracks are losing money at every race as stands sit empty and merchandise goes unsold.

UPS is smart enough to bail out before it goes down with the ship.

Pretty simple stuff.

TOS

I disagree with TOS but at least he's closer to the truth than "Nascar fans are rednecks who don't ship packages".

AndUPSER

To succeed in NASCAR, as a sponsor, you need a good driver to promote your brand. NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin, who is sponsored by FedEx, tweeted this last night: @dennyhamlin: You don't know better? @FedEx is always faster :) @ErinAndrews: It's ok, @ups I didn't need my suitcase with all my clothes in it...#sarcasm

To succeed in NASCAR, as a sponsor, you need a good driver to promote your brand. NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin, who is sponsored by FedEx, tweeted this last night: @dennyhamlin: You don't know better? @FedEx is always faster :) @ErinAndrews: It's ok, @ups I didn't need my suitcase with all my clothes in it...#sarcasm

From what I've seen of Erin Andrews in that video she doesn't need her clothes.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
For years the NASCAR sponsorship was bringing in more money in thru sales of licensed apparel and model cars than it was spending. That will never happen with F1 and college football, to many hands already taking pieces of that pie. Have you ever seen a jersey with a logo on it?

If your brand strategy is to spread the word of your company worldwide, I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a vehicle more worthy than F1. The amount of people--worldwide--that F1 reaches is staggering. I would guess only the World Cup can match F1 in numbers.

Not saying pro or con, just saying you aren't going to find the saturation levels of F1 anywhere else. NASCAR is speck of sand compared to F1.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Advertising is designed to expand brand awareness. Is there really anyone anywhere on the planet who doesn't recognize this ?

Apparently a lot. I am called "Fed Ex" a lot, and too many ask for my help in stores while I'm wearing the uniform, really thinking I work there because I am wearing a uniform. I point to the emblem and they still stare at me for a couple moments before it finally kicks: he is not employed here.

In all seriousness, UPS ought to lend their name to a basketball/hockey arena, or a sport where they'll get much visibility on national TV on an almost weekly basis.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If your brand strategy is to spread the word of your company worldwide, I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a vehicle more worthy than F1. The amount of people--worldwide--that F1 reaches is staggering. I would guess only the World Cup can match F1 in numbers.

Not saying pro or con, just saying you aren't going to find the saturation levels of F1 anywhere else. NASCAR is speck of sand compared to F1.
Now I understand the shift in the sponsoring. Thanks. As an aside, I actually like F1 cars more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Apparently a lot. I am called "Fed Ex" a lot, and too many ask for my help in stores while I'm wearing the uniform, really thinking I work there because I am wearing a uniform. I point to the emblem and they still stare at me for a couple moments before it finally kicks: he is not employed here.

In all seriousness, UPS ought to lend their name to a basketball/hockey arena, or a sport where they'll get much visibility on national TV on an almost weekly basis.

Do you ship w/FedEx based on their purchasing of the rights to FedEx Field or FedEx Forum?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

No, but every time I see the brand I can't help but think about the Millennial/Gen-Xer fan who would be swayed by seeing the brand constantly while watching a game. I have actually run into people who did not know UPS ships overnight; that's why they "FedEx'ed it". Had this discussion with a young lady at a firm pressuring the shipping manager to send something via FedEx Express because she was "told" UPS couldn't get it to San Fran from Philly before 3PM the next day. In the end, even after him and I giving her the truth, he still had to FedEx it (EAM-equivalent service, too; alotta money).

The Milkman

Yes and I still contend NASCAR is a massive waste of money.

I agree a waste of money. maybe a little back to the employees like the good old days. A nice spread for the drivers on Christmas Eve..Nah.......We would rather spread it out amongst the Bloated Fat Cats on The Board who call the Shots.......Shots that for the most part miss their targets.......