UPS to Fedex

Daniel

Curious: anyone know of an ex UPS full time driver leave UPS for FedEx express for the purpose of having to work less hours, or maybe because they couldn't transfer? I am seriously considering leaving UPS because I want to leave southern CA for the east coast, which is not transferable because it's outside the district

LTFedExer

I don't know anyone personally. But, that is one of the benefits we do have. Some here might think it's not significant, but to me it's a big deal having moved twice already, neither time by necessity, but because I wanted to . A courier I work with is selling his house because his wifes job transferred her and he'll be moving with her, obviously.

SmithBarney

I left UPS and ended up at FedEx(would have been at UPS, but my paperwork wasn't filed fast enough and I still showed being active).
Already transferred twice with FedEx... nice benefit
was it the best choice? hard to say I make roughly 30% of what I would be making at UPS.
I still work retarded hours 7am-8pm vs 10am-6(or 9pm) depending on the route at UPS.
The work load is less, but has its own factors that make it "intense" imagine a full truck of
NDA, and the rest having commit times too...
The Health Benefits at UPS are much much better(and free)
I may never top out, after 4 years at FedEx I make a whooping $1.30 more than when I was hired(new hires are only 15 cents or so behind me)
Management is about the same, controlled like puppets from the top, unable to make important decisions.
401K match is nice, its free money.
My western Managers(at Fedex) told me to watch out for the East Coast Management teams... and they were right(I miss them very much)

Funny when some people talk about Unions they say that they promote Lazy workers... Well when I was at UPS...not a single one
of us could be considered lazy we worked hard and got paid well. At FedEx there is no incentive to work "hard"er than need-be to get by.
So I have seen many Couriers just getting by. (I catch myself doing it too...on occasion)

Daniel, follow your heart, I miss UPS at times. Just make sure if you leave that your Sup checks off on the Positive rehire, so you can get rehired if you want to at another UPS center.(mine did... and I check all the time, I'd even take pre-load for the workout when it comes available)

Good luck.

Daniel

Thanks for the replies guys! Fredly00, my heart us telling me to get our of CA, but the job at UPS is keeping me here. 20 years of service! This is such a hard decision(sigh).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks for the replies guys! Fredly00, my heart us telling me to get our of CA, but the job at UPS is keeping me here. 20 years of service! This is such a hard decision(sigh).

The ability to transfer is nice, but other than that, FedEx doesn't really have much to offer to an ex-UPS employee. I'm sure they'd hire you on the spot. Just go in with your eyes wide open. Fredly00 gave some wise counsel. Good luck.

DorkHead

"Funny when some people talk about Unions they say that they promote Lazy workers... Well when I was at UPS...not a single one
of us could be considered lazy we worked hard and got paid well. At FedEx there is no incentive to work "hard"er than need-be to get by.
So I have seen many Couriers just getting by. (I catch myself doing it too...on occasion)"

These people are usually going by what they hear from parents, friends, Fox news, corporate businesses, and many others. I have learned never put down or talk bad about another job, any job, union or non-union, unless you have actually worked it. Only then would you have a valid opinion.

vantexan

Fredly00 is very accurate about East/West mgmt teams at FedEx. Very different culture. Ultimately you have to ask if it's worth the cut in pay and benefits. If a mgr tells you it won't take long to get to decent pay, etc it's a sales job, nothing more. I'd hold out for as long as I could at UPS and save as much as possible. You'll need that extra money if you get on with FedEx.

ex fed exer

Curiouss: anyone know of an ex UPS full time driver leave UPS for FedEx express for the purpose of having to work less hours, or maybe because they couldn't transfer? I am seriously considering leaving UPS because I want to leave southern CA for the east coast, which is not transferable because it's outside the district

why on earth would you ever leave S.C. for anywhere. if you are tired of ups fine,but don't leave S.C. get a job at one of the studios and horn your way into hollywood. there were paying that no talent hack charlie sheen 2 mill a week and not are going to pay that 70's loser 800 to 900 k a week for being and imbecile.

forget the east coast, stay in hollywood.

LTFedExer

Even if you do decide to leave UPS for FedEx, you would need to:
1. Wait 2 years before transferring.
2. Hope there's a position open where you want to go. Bigger cities have more openings, but fill up quicker.
3. Hope you don't get outbid by a more senior person. You'd be bidding against others across the country. If it's a PT position, you stand a better chance.

SmithBarney

I say take the 20yr retirement at UPS, and move on to something rewarding.

My PT/FT progression was as follows.
Hired PT 4months later upgraded to FT
Transferred PT, 3mo later upgraded FT
Transferred PT, still PT at about 7months, but I get more hours than the FTers... they won't upgrade me. but according to uncle sam I'm full time.
I check UPS regularly and I would work at both when the opportunity arises. AM handler(UPS) -> PM courier(FDX ;) Despite what some would say
its not a conflict of interest unless you are management.

vantexan

Even if you do decide to leave UPS for FedEx, you would need to:
1. Wait 2 years before transferring.
2. Hope there's a position open where you want to go. Bigger cities have more openings, but fill up quicker.
3. Hope you don't get outbid by a more senior person. You'd be bidding against others across the country. If it's a PT position, you stand a better chance.

It's been my experience that big cities are much easier to transfer into. Hardest places? Florida is very competitive with couriers from the north. Memphis is very difficult because so many Hubbites are trying to get home. Same for Indianapolis. Desirable small mountain towns out west are very competitive. I'm hoping some nice places come open for domiciles. Alot of senior couriers retiring soon.

LTFedExer

Transferred PT, still PT at about 7months, but I get more hours than the FTers... they won't upgrade me. but according to uncle sam I'm full time.
It's easy for a PT PM'er to get more hours than a FT, as long as you keep volunteering. Please explain 'but according to uncle sam I'm full time'. Vacation, holiday, sick, etc days all paid at 4 hours/day. Sounds PT to me.

SmithBarney

When it comes to federal laws regarding PT vs FT I am FT based on hours. as example I qualify for FMLA(I care for my parents on occassion). Yes the vacation hours suck...

SmithBarney

It's been my experience that big cities are much easier to transfer into. Hardest places? Florida is very competitive with couriers from the north. Memphis is very difficult because so many Hubbites are trying to get home. Same for Indianapolis. Desirable small mountain towns out west are very competitive. I'm hoping some nice places come open for domiciles. Alot of senior couriers retiring soon.

FL is very hard because they are extremely top heavy way too many managers down here. Also FL pulls from the Islands as well, Virgin Islands/Puerto rico etc..

FedEx2000

When it comes to federal laws regarding PT vs FT I am FT based on hours. as example I qualify for FMLA(I care for my parents on occassion). Yes the vacation hours suck...

To qualify for FMLA, basically you just have to have worked at least 1,250 hours in the past year. When I was a PT courier, I would either double up 2 weeks of vacation so I would still get a 40 hour check, or work in addition to the 20 hrs of vacation pay since I also worked alot as a PTer and was used to the bigger checks. I was also single and didn't care about taking vacation then.

vantexan

FL is very hard because they are extremely top heavy way too many managers down here. Also FL pulls from the Islands as well, Virgin Islands/Puerto rico etc..

Are the mgrs stepping down to courier positions? Interesting. When I was in Connecticut I heard couriers all the time talking about transferring to Florida. Doing this job in the winter gets old.

LTFedExer

To qualify for FMLA, basically you just have to have worked at least 1,250 hours in the past year. When I was a PT courier, I would either double up 2 weeks of vacation so I would still get a 40 hour check, or work in addition to the 20 hrs of vacation pay since I also worked alot as a PTer and was used to the bigger checks. I was also single and didn't care about taking vacation then.
I didn't know you could do that. Then again, I preferred the time off, even when I was single so I never asked.

Express Courier

Curiouss: anyone know of an ex UPS full time driver leave UPS for FedEx express for the purpose of having to work less hours, or maybe because they couldn't transfer? I am seriously considering leaving UPS because I want to leave southern CA for the east coast, which is not transferable because it's outside the district
I know this is an old thread but..

I do have a coworker that transferred from UPS FT to PT Express because he couldn't transfer w/UPS. Ends up he likes it better at Express because his wife is the bread winner anyway. So he does FO and helps out with p1 if he feels like it. Then goes home and plays video games or something all day. Nice.